Did a Dumb Thing

In cleaning out fuzz between keys on my keyboard (Laptop 450X) I have popped
a couple of keys off in the past and they popped right back on. It was
accidental at first but didn't seem to cause a problem. Tonight I popped a
couple off and they won't snap back on. I notice that the ones that snap
back on have the little black plastic springy thing stuck to the keyboard.
The ones that won't have it stuck to the keys. Can this be fixed or do I
have to get a new keyboard?

Most likely, the only permanent fix is a new keyboard.

Joan F (MI) wrote:
> In cleaning out fuzz between keys on my keyboard (Laptop 450X) I have popped
> a couple of keys off in the past and they popped right back on. It was
> accidental at first but didn't seem to cause a problem. Tonight I popped a
> couple off and they won't snap back on. I notice that the ones that snap
> back on have the little black plastic springy thing stuck to the keyboard.
> The ones that won't have it stuck to the keys. Can this be fixed or do I
> have to get a new keyboard?

That's what I was afraid of, I emailed Gateway tech support last night. In
the meantime they are held in place with transparent tape over the top of
them and the keys next to them.

In news:npgoe.25052$4u.24460@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.net> stated

"Joan F (MI)" <jjfahl@removethisameritech.net> wrote in message
> That's what I was afraid of, I emailed Gateway tech support last night.
In
> the meantime they are held in place with transparent tape over the top of
> them and the keys next to them.
>
> In news:npgoe.25052$4u.24460@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
> Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.net> stated
> | Most likely, the only permanent fix is a new keyboard.
> |

> | Joan F (MI) wrote:
> || In cleaning out fuzz between keys on my keyboard (Laptop 450X) I
> || have popped a couple of keys off in the past and they popped right
> || back on. It was accidental at first but didn't seem to cause a
> || problem. Tonight I popped a couple off and they won't snap back on.
> || I notice that the ones that snap back on have the little black
> || plastic springy thing stuck to the keyboard. The ones that won't
> || have it stuck to the keys. Can this be fixed or do I have to get a
> || new keyboard?

Joan, you *can* fix this, but you have to be careful. The "little black
plastic springy thing" *should* pop off the loose key leaving you with what
looks like an "X". Determine the proper orientation (look at another loose
key), then gently place the tabs on the "X" underneath the hooks on the
keyboard where the key goes (there should be 4). Then you can pop on the
key. HTH

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

I sort of tried that but couldn't see very well, and probably needed a
couple of tools like tweezers and small screwdrivers instead of my fingers.
Thanks for the suggestion, I may try it if I feel ambitious but Gateway is
sending a new keyboard, it's under warranty and there are instructions for
installing it that look easier than putting the keys back. In the future I
will go get the can of compressed air to clean it!

In news:upjoe.53728$6k7.30424@bignews4.bellsouth.net,
Louie <louie@spamme.not> stated
| Joan, you *can* fix this, but you have to be careful. The "little
| black plastic springy thing" *should* pop off the loose key leaving
| you with what looks like an "X". Determine the proper orientation
| (look at another loose key), then gently place the tabs on the "X"
| underneath the hooks on the keyboard where the key goes (there should
| be 4). Then you can pop on the key. HTH
|
| Louie
| Gainesville, FL, USA

shooter

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:50:50 GMT, "Joan F \(MI\)"
<jjfahl@removethisameritech.net> wrote:

>there are instructions for
>installing it that look easier than putting the keys back.

I sure would love to have a scan of those instructions when you get
them Joan. I have a 450SX4 and try to collect all the repair sheets
and stuff I can on it.

>In the future I
>will go get the can of compressed air to clean it!

Good idea. I use canned air on all my sensitive electronic equipment
and have yet to damage anything using such. I have someone in Germany
that is suppose to be sending me some info on a refillable canned air
setup. Comes with the can and a small self contained compressor that
snaps on top of the can to refill it. He says it costs the equivalent
of $30 USD. If this can be had in the states and actually works, it
would be worth it since canned air costs between $3 & $5 depending
where you get it.... A lot to pay for a little compressed AIR! When
I get the info, I'll post it on here for all that may be interested.

Regards,

I got the instructions from the Gateway website, go to Support, find your
computer, and go to the User guides. Here's the support page for the
450SX4: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/450SX4/3501271nv.shtml

In news:7134a1h6usfu3l0hcm2tagrvgrciriur0j@4ax.com,
Shooter <fhasfdjh@AlkjdaF@com> stated

| I sure would love to have a scan of those instructions when you get
| them Joan. I have a 450SX4 and try to collect all the repair sheets
| and stuff I can on it.
|
|| In the future I
|| will go get the can of compressed air to clean it!
|
| Good idea. I use canned air on all my sensitive electronic equipment
| and have yet to damage anything using such. I have someone in Germany
| that is suppose to be sending me some info on a refillable canned air
| setup. Comes with the can and a small self contained compressor that
| snaps on top of the can to refill it. He says it costs the equivalent
| of $30 USD. If this can be had in the states and actually works, it
| would be worth it since canned air costs between $3 & $5 depending
| where you get it.... A lot to pay for a little compressed AIR! When
| I get the info, I'll post it on here for all that may be interested.
|
| Regards,

If it's like my 9300, you have to carefully remove the plastic plate from
the back of the keys (might have to pry it a bit) and slip that on the
plastic carriage thing in the keyboard. (Part of the carriage most likley
goes ABOVE the plate, so the plate has to go on that first) Then snap on the
key itself. It's pretty easy.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
> In cleaning out fuzz between keys on my keyboard (Laptop 450X) I have
popped
> a couple of keys off in the past and they popped right back on. It was
> accidental at first but didn't seem to cause a problem. Tonight I popped
> couple off and they won't snap back on. I notice that the ones that snap
> back on have the little black plastic springy thing stuck to the keyboard.
> The ones that won't have it stuck to the keys. Can this be fixed or do I
> have to get a new keyboard?

Well, I finally got around to trying this but one of the tabs was broken off
the springy thing so it's no go. :-( Still waiting for replacement
keyboard, emailed just now to see what's happening with that.