Can't Delete AVI File.

I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I have.
I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it can't
be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have disabled
ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't delete
this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.

--
Remove The "NOSPAM" In Address To Reply

OK, here's the deal. Windows Explorer in XP has a 'feature' that reads the
entire AVI file so that it can give you preview information and a thumbnail.
Really a stupid feature, particularly if you have lots and lots of AVI
files. Looks like Explorer locks up.

To eliminate this feature, search for the following key in the registry:

{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}

Delete the entire key and reboot. Now you can delete it.

If you don't want to do this, bring up Windows Explorer and navigate to the
file. Wait and wait and wait and you will eventually be able to delete it.
You can also delete it from a DOS prompt.

Tom
"Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysenNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I
have.
> I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it can't
> be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have
disabled
> ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
> Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't delete
> this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.
>
> --
> Remove The "NOSPAM" In Address To Reply

"Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysenNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I
have.
> I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it can't
> be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have
disabled
> ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
> Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't delete
> this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.

Can you go into MSDOS mode and delete it?

Sorry...I dashed this off so fast, I forgot to mention that my OS is XP Pro.
Anyway it occurred to me to use BC Wipe to remove and overwrite the file. It
worked.

--
"Ricky W. Hunt" <rickywhunt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysenNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I
> have.
> > I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it
can't
> > be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have
> disabled
> > ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
> > Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't
delete
> > this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.
> >

> Can you go into MSDOS mode and delete it?

Thank you...interesting info on this "feature".

--
> OK, here's the deal. Windows Explorer in XP has a 'feature' that reads
the
> entire AVI file so that it can give you preview information and a
thumbnail.
> Really a stupid feature, particularly if you have lots and lots of AVI
> files. Looks like Explorer locks up.
>
> To eliminate this feature, search for the following key in the registry:
>
> {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}
>
> Delete the entire key and reboot. Now you can delete it.
>
> If you don't want to do this, bring up Windows Explorer and navigate to
the
> file. Wait and wait and wait and you will eventually be able to delete
it.
> You can also delete it from a DOS prompt.
>
> Tom
> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysenNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I
> have.
> > I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it
can't
> > be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have
> disabled
> > ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
> > Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't
delete
> > this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.
> >
> > --
> > Remove The "NOSPAM" In Address To Reply

First thing I do after an XP install is delete this key.