Can't Delete AVI File.

I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I have.
I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it can't
be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have disabled
ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't delete
this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.

--
Remove The "NOSPAM" In Address To Reply
5 answers Last reply

    OK, here's the deal. Windows Explorer in XP has a 'feature' that reads the
    entire AVI file so that it can give you preview information and a thumbnail.
    Really a stupid feature, particularly if you have lots and lots of AVI
    files. Looks like Explorer locks up.

    To eliminate this feature, search for the following key in the registry:

    {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}

    Delete the entire key and reboot. Now you can delete it.

    If you don't want to do this, bring up Windows Explorer and navigate to the
    file. Wait and wait and wait and you will eventually be able to delete it.
    You can also delete it from a DOS prompt.

    Tom
    "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysenNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I
    have.
    > I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it can't
    > be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have
    disabled
    > ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
    > Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't delete
    > this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.
    >
    > --
    > Remove The "NOSPAM" In Address To Reply

    "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysenNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I
    have.
    > I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it can't
    > be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have
    disabled
    > ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
    > Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't delete
    > this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.

    Can you go into MSDOS mode and delete it?

    Sorry...I dashed this off so fast, I forgot to mention that my OS is XP Pro.
    Anyway it occurred to me to use BC Wipe to remove and overwrite the file. It
    worked.

    --
    "Ricky W. Hunt" <rickywhunt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysenNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > > I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I
    > have.
    > > I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it
    can't
    > > be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have
    > disabled
    > > ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
    > > Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't
    delete
    > > this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.
    > >

    > Can you go into MSDOS mode and delete it?

    Thank you...interesting info on this "feature".

    --
    > OK, here's the deal. Windows Explorer in XP has a 'feature' that reads
    the
    > entire AVI file so that it can give you preview information and a
    thumbnail.
    > Really a stupid feature, particularly if you have lots and lots of AVI
    > files. Looks like Explorer locks up.
    >
    > To eliminate this feature, search for the following key in the registry:
    >
    > {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}
    >
    > Delete the entire key and reboot. Now you can delete it.
    >
    > If you don't want to do this, bring up Windows Explorer and navigate to
    the
    > file. Wait and wait and wait and you will eventually be able to delete
    it.
    > You can also delete it from a DOS prompt.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysenNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > > I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I
    > have.
    > > I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it
    can't
    > > be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have
    > disabled
    > > ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
    > > Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't
    delete
    > > this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Remove The "NOSPAM" In Address To Reply

    First thing I do after an XP install is delete this key.

    > Thank you...interesting info on this "feature".
    >
    > --
    > Remove The "NOSPAM" In Address To Reply
    > > OK, here's the deal. Windows Explorer in XP has a 'feature' that reads
    > the
    > > entire AVI file so that it can give you preview information and a
    > thumbnail.
    > > Really a stupid feature, particularly if you have lots and lots of AVI
    > > files. Looks like Explorer locks up.
    > >
    > > To eliminate this feature, search for the following key in the registry:
    > >
    > > {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}
    > >
    > > Delete the entire key and reboot. Now you can delete it.
    > >
    > > If you don't want to do this, bring up Windows Explorer and navigate to
    > the
    > > file. Wait and wait and wait and you will eventually be able to delete
    > it.
    > > You can also delete it from a DOS prompt.
    > >
    > > Tom
    > > "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysenNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > > > I downloaded an AVI file and discovered it won't play on any program I
    > > have.
    > > > I tried to delete it, but repeatedly get an error message stating it
    > can't
    > > > be deleted because it's in use by another person or program. I have
    > > disabled
    > > > ALL processes with "End-It-All" and it still won't go. I tried System
    > > > Restore with no luck and I even went into Safe Mode and still can't
    > delete
    > > > this damn thing. Is there anything else I can try. TIA.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Remove The "NOSPAM" In Address To Reply

Dell AVI Computers