XP Pro not using all my RAM

August 8, 2005 7:32:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

Quick question - I have a new laptop (Centrino, Pentium M, 1.83 GHz,
2Gb RAM, XP Pro) on which I'm using some pretty hungry apps (AutoCAD,
DIALux (photometric software) and others). When I look at the system
performance under task manager, I'm often able to use 100% of processor
time. I have yet to go past 750Mb of RAM usage. Why is this? Is
there a way to use the 2Gb I have more efficiently?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas.

More about : pro ram

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:39:00 PM

In news:1123540378.013504.26110@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
Lux Populi <t_p_paterson@hotmail.com> typed:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Quick question - I have a new laptop (Centrino, Pentium M, 1.83
> GHz,
> 2Gb RAM, XP Pro) on which I'm using some pretty hungry apps
> (AutoCAD,
> DIALux (photometric software) and others). When I look at the
> system
> performance under task manager, I'm often able to use 100% of
> processor time. I have yet to go past 750Mb of RAM usage. Why
> is
> this? Is there a way to use the 2Gb I have more efficiently?

Apparently, even with the apps you're running, the files you're
opening with them aren't big enough so that more than 750MB is
required, and you have considerably more RAM than you need.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of bad information around, stating
that the more RAM you have the better. That's true only up to a
point. Once you have enough to stop you from using the page file,
more is essentially wasted.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:55:02 PM

With that much ram set youre computer to lean toward ram instead of
useing the page file.Go to run,type:regedit In regedit expand:HKEY_LOCAL_
MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\then open
memorymanagement.Locate:D isablePagingExecutive L.click on it,go to edit,
modify,set from 0 to 1,then close out regedit,restart computer.

"Lux Populi" wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Quick question - I have a new laptop (Centrino, Pentium M, 1.83 GHz,
> 2Gb RAM, XP Pro) on which I'm using some pretty hungry apps (AutoCAD,
> DIALux (photometric software) and others). When I look at the system
> performance under task manager, I'm often able to use 100% of processor
> time. I have yet to go past 750Mb of RAM usage. Why is this? Is
> there a way to use the 2Gb I have more efficiently?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Thomas.

August 8, 2005 8:44:01 PM

Thanks All,

How do I monitor Paging to make sure that isn't a problem?

Thomas.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:37:11 PM

Many programs rely on creating some pages - disabling this or attempting to
force it into ram may cause conflicts. If the user is not actively paging,
then they are already probably making full use of the system's physical ram
as far as their needs go, so disabling this design feature will not increase
performance in any way. Frankly, the user needs to monitor paging to see if
there is anything actually going on before tweaking anything.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> With that much ram set youre computer to lean toward ram instead of
> useing the page file.Go to run,type:regedit In regedit expand:HKEY_LOCAL_
> MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\then open
> memorymanagement.Locate:D isablePagingExecutive L.click on it,go to edit,
> modify,set from 0 to 1,then close out regedit,restart computer.
>
> "Lux Populi" wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Quick question - I have a new laptop (Centrino, Pentium M, 1.83 GHz,
>> 2Gb RAM, XP Pro) on which I'm using some pretty hungry apps (AutoCAD,
>> DIALux (photometric software) and others). When I look at the system
>> performance under task manager, I'm often able to use 100% of processor
>> time. I have yet to go past 750Mb of RAM usage. Why is this? Is
>> there a way to use the 2Gb I have more efficiently?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Thomas.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:59:50 PM

Lux Populi wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Quick question - I have a new laptop (Centrino, Pentium M, 1.83 GHz,
> 2Gb RAM, XP Pro) on which I'm using some pretty hungry apps (AutoCAD,
> DIALux (photometric software) and others). When I look at the system
> performance under task manager, I'm often able to use 100% of
> processor time. I have yet to go past 750Mb of RAM usage. Why is
> this? Is there a way to use the 2Gb I have more efficiently?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Thomas.

You have too much RAM. Send me your 'extra" sticks! ;-)

--
Peace!
Kurt

Hi,

Task Manager. On the performance tab.

--

"Lux Populi" <t_p_paterson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks All,
>
> How do I monitor Paging to make sure that isn't a problem?
>
> Thomas.

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:08:43 AM

In article <1123540378.013504.26110@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
t_p_paterson@hotmail.com says...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Quick question - I have a new laptop (Centrino, Pentium M, 1.83 GHz,
> 2Gb RAM, XP Pro) on which I'm using some pretty hungry apps (AutoCAD,
> DIALux (photometric software) and others). When I look at the system
> performance under task manager, I'm often able to use 100% of processor
> time. I have yet to go past 750Mb of RAM usage. Why is this? Is
> there a way to use the 2Gb I have more efficiently?

The simple answer is that your applications are not "wanting" to use
more RAM. I have applications that use 1.5GB all the time, and I have
others that don't use much (under 30MB).

Most applications are designed to run in a limited amount of RAM and
don't make full use of all available RAM on systems that have LOTS, it's
not an OS issue.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me