HP Pavilion zv5000 periodic freezing

Ever since I bought this laptop I've noticed that at times it just
seems to stop. The only way I know this is going on is when I'm typing
and suddenly no characters are appearing. This freeze lasts for about
a second. When I'm really typing away a few of the characters I typed
during the freeze will appear but the rest are dropped and I have to
retype. These freezes occur quite often, say several times in 5
minutes.

PC specs:
AMD64 3200+
512MB RAM
80GB hard drive
Windows XP Home w/SP2

Has anyone else had any problems like this or can make a suggestion as
to what I might begin to look for? Thanks in advance!

Dave

I doubt if it's a key logger as I scan quite often for spyware/adware.
In fact, I just got done doing that. I also run a virus scan a couple
times per week right after I do the spyware/adware scans.

I hadn't thought of the anti-virus program. I'll try disabling it for
a while when I hit some forums later tonight. The spyware/adware
programs I use don't run full-time, so I doubt if it's them doing their
thing.

I also don't think it's the CPU too busy because generally I have very
few programs running. I'm at work now and this is when the laptop is
being used the most and I have Outlook, Gaim, and my firewall and
anti-virus program running. Just checked and I have 37 processes
running right now. Later tonight I'll go through the list and check
all of them out to make sure nothing bad might be running.

But thanks for the tip on the anti-virus program! I hadn't thought of
that one. :)

Dave

Date: 15 Jun 2005 12:22:40 -0700

Ever since I bought this laptop I've noticed that at times it just
seems to stop. The only way I know this is going on is when I'm
typing and suddenly no characters are appearing. This freeze lasts
for about a second. When I'm really typing away a few of the
characters I typed during the freeze will appear but the rest are
dropped and I have to retype. These freezes occur quite often, say
several times in 5 minutes.

PC specs:
AMD64 3200+
512MB RAM
80GB hard drive
Windows XP Home w/SP2

Has anyone else had any problems like this or can make a suggestion
as to what I might begin to look for? Thanks in advance!

Hi Dave... There are lots of things that can cause this. Key loggers,
Word auto saves, Anti-virus checker checking, spyware checker, CPU too
busy to read the keyboard buffer, etc. To figure things out, one usually
starts to eliminate one or more things at a time and then see what
happens.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

Date: 15 Jun 2005 14:34:05 -0700

I doubt if it's a key logger as I scan quite often for
spyware/adware. In fact, I just got done doing that. I also run a
virus scan a couple times per week right after I do the
spyware/adware scans.

Hi Dave... Well the one thing to keep in mind about key loggers are that
the legit ones sold for legal purposes like watching your spouse or
children are not flagged by anti-spyware software. So just a thought.

I hadn't thought of the anti-virus program. I'll try disabling it
for a while when I hit some forums later tonight. The
spyware/adware programs I use don't run full-time, so I doubt if
it's them doing their thing.

I also don't think it's the CPU too busy because generally I have
very few programs running. I'm at work now and this is when the
laptop is being used the most and I have Outlook, Gaim, and my
firewall and anti-virus program running. Just checked and I have 37
processes running right now. Later tonight I'll go through the list
and check all of them out to make sure nothing bad might be
running.

Run the Task Manager to monitor your CPU use. Just right click on a
blank area of your taskbar.

But thanks for the tip on the anti-virus program! I hadn't thought
of that one. :)

It could be lots of things, even hardware.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000