Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I cant make selections when installing W7

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
October 17, 2012 8:17:21 AM

I'm in the process of rebuilding an older desktop PC using the existing motherboard (ASUS P5VDC-MX) I have just put in a new hard drive and new graphics card and proceeded to install W7Pro but when it gets to the select language window and there is no sign of an arrow but, the lights on the mouse and keyboard are on, but neither work? The keyboard works when adjusting the time/dates, boot priorities etc. I have checked cables etc. and even used another monitor & mouse.
It looks like I'm not the only one.
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 8:42:54 AM

That just means that the rig has stalled... or as we say "hung"....
Something is mismatching and you need to try a bare installation. Try using a different medium of installation like a USB stick if you're using a DVD or then a DVD if you're using a stick already.

Also try installing the OS with just bare minimum things plugged into the mobo.
Processor, Single Stick of RAM, Just one HDD (The one on which you want to install the OS), One keyboard and mouse, IGP is available or then one GPU.
That's about it... ODD if you're using it to install windows or else the USB thing only. One monitor and that's about it.
No other peripherals attached and you ought to be able to find the culprit soon.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 9:07:30 AM

Also try installing using the onboard GPU, and if successful load your dedicated GPU drvers before fitting, then make sure the GPU order is correct in BIOS
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 9:50:15 AM

Onboard GPU = IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor)
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:35:15 PM

Still no success, I removed the GPU & tried booting from a USB stick , I even disconnected the DVD driver, tried using PS/2 keyboard & mouse (all loaded with the same result)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 8:42:10 PM

In the BIOS do you have a Restore Default settings or something similar? Try that. Also try running with different indiviual memory sticks in different slots in case.
m
l
October 18, 2012 12:25:17 AM

Where abouts in the BIOS would the Restore Default settings be? I tried different ports with no luck.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 5:04:53 AM

Your Motherboard Manual

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5VDC-MX/...

Once in Setup (BIOS) simply press F5 to load default values.
http://prntscr.com/ho2fj
More to try.
1. Is the System time/date correct? If the mobo has been around for a while the CMOS battery may be flat and not maintaining system time. Make sure it is correct and stays that way, if not buy new battery and replace.
2. Do you have the latest BIOS edition?Should be up to P5VDC-MX 0810
http://prntscr.com/ho2qg
If out-of-date you'll have to download and store the new BIOS on a floppy, and since you can't get into Windows this could be tricky without the use of a similar vintage machine... see P49 of your Manual.

Download from here
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5VDCM...

When downloading drivers etc. choose Vista 32/64 whichever is appropriate
m
l
October 18, 2012 8:37:10 AM

The battery was flat, so I replaced it and the BIOS is P5VDC-MX 0110 edition so how do I update it to 0810 when I don't have a floppy disk driver? Could something be corrupted, like hardware, can I just replace it?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 9:07:54 AM

It's probably something simple like your HDD not supported by BIOS, which is why we need to update it. Presume you are using a modern case with no floppy drive, wonder if a USB one would work...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 9:21:48 AM

Could just be the HDD too modern, do you have an older one you could try? At least get Windows running and flash BIOS from there...
Your BIOS does not support USB boot so we're stumped there...
Seems it can be done from a CD
http://www.bootdisk.com/flash.htm
And I like the look of one of the earlier BIOS updates...
http://prntscr.com/hodrd
m
l
October 19, 2012 2:34:06 AM

I used the original HDD with the same response as the new HDD. I must confirm that a bootable USB stick loads W7Pro but only with the same "no arrow, no select" problem. Can I upgrade the BIOS 'as is' with no OS?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 3:26:33 AM

Not sure where you're at. Have you successfully loaded Windows onto a drive, or merely booted into Windows on the USB stick? Mildly surprised that you can boot from USB as it's not listed in the boot sequence in your manual! In that case it may be possible to flash the BIOS from the USB drive...
except that the EZ flash looks for a floppy...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 3:54:16 AM

Can but try. Format a USB flash drive FAT32.using your alternate machine
Download latest BIOS
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5VDCM...
Save to Flash Drive and re-name P5VDCMX.ROM.
Install Flash drive into USB port ensuring no other bootable device
Boot and press Alt + F2 during POST.
Pray that it checks the USB drive for the new BIOS and loads it. Maintain power until completed

If Flash is unsuccessful all is not lost
http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLa...
All at your own risk, of course, some boards are in danger of being 'bricked' when BIOS flash fails....just have to hope that their fail-safe works...
m
l
October 19, 2012 4:21:24 AM

When I power up the PC the ASUS window will flash then 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_' will appear so I insert the W7Pro CD or USB stick with W7Pro on it, (having made specific boot priority), press a key, then 'Windows is loading files...' appears (downloads) then the 'Starting Windows' appears (Windows logo loads), then the language selection appears, (no arrow, can't select) that's where I I've got to. I hope I've made myself clear.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 4:25:50 AM

After rereading your earlier ppost I guessed that was what you meant. In which case definitely worth trying to flash the BIOS from the USB drive...
m
l
October 19, 2012 9:29:53 AM

I formatted a USB flash drive to FAT32 and downloaded the latest BIOS Vista 32bit. I powered it up, inserted the USB and pressed Alt+F2 during POST. It went straight to a blank screen with 'No signal' flash up, but the PC is still running, so I've left it for a few hours now and it's still humming away, with a blank screen. Is this doing anything, have I missed a step, whats next?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 10:14:43 AM

Hmmm. Looks like it searched for a floppy, and as it couldn't find one it gave up. If it found the new BIOS you would have seen a result immediately. Just power off and boot as normal. In some ways it would be good if the BIOS was corrupted, at least the recovery would look for a USB device!
Actually it should have flashed up a screen 'EZFLASH Starting BIOS update'
Give it another try with Alt + F2 anyway. If no joy try resetting CMOS and try once more.
See 1.9 for CMOS or if you haven't downloaded the Manual
http://prntscr.com/hqs41
m
l
October 19, 2012 11:54:33 AM

I tried a few times more with no luck, then reset the CMOS and tried a few more times, and still come up with a blank screen. If I insert the USB before I boot, the USB is recognized in the BIOS as a hard drive, and sometimes I even tried selecting the USB as 1st boot priority, same result. I don't know if that makes any difference?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 1:55:39 PM

USB will pobably only work if the BIOS checksum fails test. Back to the drawing board... if only the setup disk would allow you to run DOS prompt... idea, do you have an XP install disk?
Another line of enquiry, presume you have an optical drive connected into an IDE port and the new HDD into a SATA port?
Shot-in-the-dark... try USB k'board & mouse plugged in front case USB ports. Worked for someone with same prob...
Also we should question the integrity of the installation media, might be good to download another ISO in case...
m
l
October 19, 2012 10:50:11 PM

I don't have a XP install disk, shall I get one and try it?(if I can)
The optical drive is connected into the secondary IDE port and the new (IDE) HDD is in the primary IDE port.
I have tried a USB mouse in all the ports as well, with the same response.
I'm yet to download another ISO.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2012 3:54:54 AM

OK. It could be a Master/slave issue. Drat! I assumed (wrongly) that when you bought a new drive you opted for SATA....Anyway, make sure the jumpers on the two devices are set the same,as you have single devices on separate cables they could be both 'Cable Select' or 'Master'
http://prntscr.com/hsq9z
m
l
October 20, 2012 7:37:58 AM

The jumpers on both devices are set closest to the power connector 'master', with the black signal cables on each device. One thing I did discover earlier on, that the BIOS did recognize whether it was connected to the 'black' or 'gray' signal cable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2012 9:35:09 AM

Well, if that means they are both jumpered to be Master that should be fine, but you'd probably need to remove both drives to check the pin diagram to be certain...
m
l
October 20, 2012 10:30:22 AM

Sorry, I was wrong. The jumper on the optical driver is in the 'Master' position, but the HDD jumper was in 'Cable Select', so I removed it (which makes it in the 'Master' position), plugged everything back in, reset the CMOS, reentered the time/date in BIOS, and tried all the same procedures again, only getting the same previous results.
I don't have any hair left, I don't know about you, but you can say what you think. Ha, Ha.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2012 11:13:17 AM

Hmmm. Fast running out of hair also! And what's worse, ideas! I do know these IDE setups can be really finicky, do you have a cable with the three connectors to set up the two drives on IDE 1 with the HDD as Master and DVD as Slave? Can't think of anything else to try at this point. (Have a nice little Asus Mobo spare...)
m
l
October 20, 2012 6:28:33 PM

The cable does have three connectors, (Blue, Gray & Black) so I disconnected the optical drive cable from the Mobo and connected the Gray connector into the driver ( moved the jumper to 'Slave' pins) and the Black connector into the HDD. Reset the CMOS, reentered time/date in BIOS, and tried all the same procedures again, and... no different!
I think I like your last comment. Suggestions?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2012 6:49:38 PM

Depends where you are. I don't want anything for the mobo as I know it has a fault on one memory controller, means you're limited to 4Gb RAM, and you'd need a CPU. (AMD Skt AM3) and 4Gb DDR3. Assuming you weren't planning intensive gaming or video editing it would cope well with most you could throw at it! I'm beginning to suspect that your Mobo is faulty, no other explanation I can think of.
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2012 7:02:19 PM

I sent one of the Forum's 'Addicts' a private message for him to take a look, this is his sort of area. PMs are not easy to spot, so maybe we'll get no reply...
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:05:35 AM

I must say thanks for your time and help dodger46, I might just flag that rebuild for now.
In the meantime I was doing some research and, 'Oh' this slot on the side of my laptop is a Express Card/54 Slot! So I'll connect up a external graphics card along with my monitor. I hope that will make the laptop more usable for what I need.
I have one question, I have W7Pro 32bit installed, I read up that you can adjust the settings, with a 32bit system, and get full usage of 4GB+ of memory/RAM. Does this really work?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2012 6:51:11 AM

Concept-Developer said:
I must say thanks for your time and help dodger46, I might just flag that rebuild for now.
In the meantime I was doing some research and, 'Oh' this slot on the side of my laptop is a Express Card/54 Slot! So I'll connect up a external graphics card along with my monitor. I hope that will make the laptop more usable for what I need.
I have one question, I have W7Pro 32bit installed, I read up that you can adjust the settings, with a 32bit system, and get full usage of 4GB+ of memory/RAM. Does this really work?

The only 'tweak' I'm aware of was an option to disable a 'Memory hole' in Advanced Chipset settings reserved for older boards with ISA slots to free of a bit more memory, so that all 4Gb coud be utilised. That apart, you will need 64bit Windows and ensure your board suupports more than 4 Gb...
And if you really want your laptop to 'fly' treat it to an SSD instead of it's HDD, makes a huge difference...
m
l
October 30, 2012 12:26:54 AM

Best answer selected by Concept-Developer.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2012 9:48:05 AM

on some older mb usb or wireless keyboards will stop working in the windows set up..try using an older ps2 keyboard.
m
l
!