Cabinet Repaint....Too Glossy?

I need some advice regarding repainting the cabinet for my SO76.

I picked up a few spray cans of Krylon paint as per Clay's site and did
a few test sprays to see how the colors matched up. The colors were
okay, but compared to the original paint, the Krylon was REALLY glossy.

Now, I don't have the means or the expertise to be using a spray gun so
I'm pretty much stuck with the aerosol spray paint method.

Were the original finishes on the cabinets fairly glossy and have
dulled over time, or were they more of a matte finish to begin with?

If I go ahead with the Krylon, is there any way to dull the finish a
bit....I was wondering if a Varathane matte finish top coat (sprayed
on) would do the trick, along with helping protect the paint?

I just want the finish to be as close to original as possible.

Any advice is appreciated.

Dave

Originally the cabinets did have a minor gloss to them. after
you the splatter the gloss really dulls down to the eye.
but you can use krylon's crystal clear, which is available
in satin, as a dulling top coat. just don't spray more than
one coat or it will look weird.

dmp65 wrote:
> I need some advice regarding repainting the cabinet for my SO76.
>
> I picked up a few spray cans of Krylon paint as per Clay's site and did
> a few test sprays to see how the colors matched up. The colors were
> okay, but compared to the original paint, the Krylon was REALLY glossy.
>
> Now, I don't have the means or the expertise to be using a spray gun so
> I'm pretty much stuck with the aerosol spray paint method.
>
> Were the original finishes on the cabinets fairly glossy and have
> dulled over time, or were they more of a matte finish to begin with?
>
> If I go ahead with the Krylon, is there any way to dull the finish a
> bit....I was wondering if a Varathane matte finish top coat (sprayed
> on) would do the trick, along with helping protect the paint?
>
> I just want the finish to be as close to original as possible.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Dave

Thanks for the info, Clay.

I will be doing the splatter and hoped that it would tone down the
white a bit, but it was more the red and blue that really stood out.

I notice that Krylon offers a semi-gloss in the white, but not red or
blue. Would you recommend the semigloss for a base coat, even though
the red and blue would be gloss?

Dave

just buff it with a corse pollish and it will dull it some.

john

www.kansascitypinball.com

I wouldn't mix them. If you're sanding down completely before spraying it
won't be quite as shiny.

GRY