Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PLANAR PX2611W Or NEC LCD2690WUXi2 for multipurpose use

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 3, 2009 12:09:04 AM

Ok, about this time a year ago I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my 19" CRT. I bought a BenQ FP241W, and it had dead pixels. Between upgrades and returns (I had luckily bought dead pixel coverage), I must have returned about 8 of these in different variations, all with dead pixels. I am now ready to take the plunge again, but would like some advice about the PX2611W vs. LCS2690WUXi2.

I plan to use the monitor for both gaming (from my PC and possibly my PS3), and watching blue rays via my PS3. I would prefer HDMI, but neither monitor has that as an option, unless I use a converter.

I mostly game on my consoles, but do occasional gaming on my PC. I do play shooters, but I'm not ultra competitive.
Also, I consider color reproduction highly important.

Does anyone know of any banding issues on either monitor, and how they would handle the converted signal?

Also, any comments, thoughts, or reviews would be appreciated.

@Jaguar: If you read this post, I know I asked a similar question a while ago, but it seems that every time I choose a monitor, something else comes along...

Best solution

a c 196 C Monitor
December 7, 2009 12:33:48 AM

The NEC LCD2690WUXi2 might be the better choice if you are going to be playing console games because the Planar PX2611w will have color banding issues when connected to a console and you play at 1080i/p.

The WUXi2 with the SpectraView II kit will give you the best colors of the two monitors. However, WUXi2's internal electronics which is used to improve colors and image quality will increase input lag. This monitor has an input lag of 33ms (2 frames) compared to less than 8ms of the PX2611w of less than 8ms (0.5 frame). I play games with my NEC LCD2690WUXi (original version) and I have no issues with the input lag. However, I can tell it has more input lag than the Planar PX2611w and it takes me a couple of minutes to adjust. The Planar serves as a secondary monitor when I want an expanded desktop space or when I wanna watch a movie and do things on the NEC.

I recommended the Planar PX2611w to a friend who does graphics work and he was completely happy with for color reproduction. He does not play games on it though. If you know you're gonna play console games @ 1080i/p, then avoid the Planar since I have heard of no firmware update which has fixed the issue.

!