free firewall and anti-virus software

August 8, 2005 7:53:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that is
effective?
Thanx
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:uW0vNwGnFHA.860@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
dh <a@mail.com> typed:

> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall,

ZoneAlarm.

> anti-virus

Avast.

> and anti-spyware
> that is effective?

For anti-spyware, no single program is good enough. You need
multiple products. I recommend the following:

AdAware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:45:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hardware firewall (in a router) is a must.

Freeware firewalls:
Sygate Personal Firewall(I use it)
Kerio Personal Firewall
Zone Alarm Free

Freeware anti-virus
AVG (I use it)
Avast

Freeware anti-spyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (I use it)
AdAwareSE (I use it)
SpyBot Search & Destroy (I use it)
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
IE-SpyAd
BHODaemon
MVPS Hosts file
lot's of others if you go to http://www.spywareinfo.org/

"dh" wrote:

> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that is
> effective?
> Thanx

August 8, 2005 11:02:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

AV = eTrust 7.0 (1-Year Free)
https://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry17c?V1=1313418&...

Firewall = Zone Alarm 6 (Free)
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/...

Spyware Tools & Real-Time protection:
AdAware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpyBot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

MS AntiSpyware

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that is
> effective?
> Thanx

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:08:47 PM

dh wrote:
> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that is
> effective?
> Thanx

You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will

I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
were acquired by Network Associates.

However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
(http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
product.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:08:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thank you very much for reply.
How can I know my PC is free from being reached by hackers and backdoors?
Thanx

> dh wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that is
>> effective?
>> Thanx
>

> You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will
>
> I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
> Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
> without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
> But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
> products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
> were acquired by Network Associates.
>
> However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
> Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
> higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
> expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
> GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
> free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
> (http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
> easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
> was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
> improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
> product.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:26:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic.
http://www.free-av.de

Kerio Personal Firewall
http://www.kerio.com

--
mae

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message news:uW0vNwGnFHA.860@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that is
| effective?
| Thanx

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:29:15 PM

dh wrote:
> Thank you very much for reply.
> How can I know my PC is free from being reached by hackers and backdoors?
> Thanx

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
they're about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

Home PC Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

Scumware.com
http://www.scumware.com/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:56:16 PM

dh wrote:
> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware
> that is effective?
> Thanx

Sygate
AVG
Adaware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster

--
Peace!
Kurt

dh wrote:
> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware
> that is effective?

Tips 5, 9 and 10..

Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the
various things that could happen to you/it:

Protect your PC

Although those tips are fantastic, there are many things you should
know above and beyond what is there. Below I have detailed
out many steps that can not only help you clean-up a problem PC but
keep it clean ,secure and running at its top performance mark.

I know this text can seem intimidating - it is quite long and a lot
to take in for a novice - but I assure you that one trip through this
list and you will understand your computer and the options available
to you for protecting your data much better - and that the next time
you review these steps, the time it takes will be greatly reduced.

Let's take the cleanup of your computer step-by-step. Yes, it will take
up some of your time - but consider what you use your computer
for and how much you would dislike it if all of your stuff on your
computer went away because you did not "feel like" performing some
simple maintenance tasks - think of it like taking out your garbage,
collecting and sorting your postal mail, paying your bills on time,
etc.

I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this
document is about; however, here is a place for you poor souls still
stuck in Windows 98/ME where you can get information on maintaining
your system:

Windows 98 and 'Maintaining Your Computer':
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/usingwindows/maintai...

Windows ME Computer Health:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsME/using/computerhealth...

Pay close attention to the sections:
(in order)
- Clean up your hard disk
- Check for errors by running ScanDisk
- Defragment your hard disk
- Roll back the clock with System Restore

Also - now is a good time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Now, let's go through some maintenance first that should only have to be
done once (mostly):

Tip (1):
Locate all of the software you have installed on your computer.
(the installation media - CDs, downloaded files, etc)
Collect these CDs and files together in a central and safe
place along with their CD keys and such. Make backups of these
installation media sets using your favorite copying method (CD/DVD Burner
and application, Disk copier, etc.) You'll be glad to know that if you
have a CD/DVD burner, you may be able to use a free application to make a
duplicate copy of your CDs. One such application is ISORecorder:

ISORecorder page (with general instructions on use):
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/beta.htm

Yes - it is BETA software - but very useful and well tested.

More full function applications (free) for CD/DVD burning would be:

DeepBurner Free
http://www.deepburner.com/

CDBurnerXP Pro
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Another Option would be to search the web with Pricewatch.com or
Dealsites.net and find deals on Products like Ahead Nero and/or Roxio.

Tip (2):
Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a
size between 128MB and 512MB..

- Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
- Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
- Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, do the
following:
- Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
- Click on "Settings" and change the "Amount of disk space to use:" to
something between 128MB and 512MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right
now.)
- Click OK.
- Click on "Delete Files" and select to "Delete all offline contents"
(the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10
minutes or more.)
- Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet
Explorer.

Tip (3):
If things are running a bit sluggish and/or you have an older system
(1.5GHz or less and 256MB RAM or less) then you may want to look into
tweaking the performance by turning off some of the 'resource hogging'
Windows XP "prettifications". The fastest method is:

Control Panel --> System --> Advanced tab --> Performance section,
Settings button. Then choose "adjust for best performance" and you
now have a Windows 2000/98 look which turned off most of the annoying
"prettifications" in one swift action. You can play with the last
three checkboxes to get more of an XP look without many of the
other annoyances. You could also grab and install/use one
(or more) of the Microsoft Powertoys - TweakUI in particular:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

Tip (4):
Understanding what a good password might be is vital to your
personal and system security. You may think you do not need to password
your home computer, as you may have it in a locked area (your home) where
no one else has access to it. Remember, however, you aren't always
"in that locked area" when using your computer online - meaning you likely
have usernames and passwords associated with web sites and the likes that
you would prefer other people do not discover/use. This is why you should
understand and utilize good passwords.

Good passwords are those that meet these general rules
(mileage may vary):

Passwords should contain at least six characters, and the character
string should contain at least three of these four character types:
- uppercase letters
- lowercase letters
- numerals
- nonalphanumeric characters (e.g., *, %, &, !, :)

Passwords should not contain your name/username.
Passwords should be unique to you and easy to remember.

One method many people are using today is to make up a phrase that
describes a point in their life and then turning that phrase into their
password by using only certain letters out of each word in that phrase.
It's much better than using your birthday month/year or your anniversary
in a pure sense. For example, let's say my phrase is:
'Moved to new home in 2004'
I could come up with this password from that:
'Mv2n3whmN04'

The password tip is in the one time section, but I highly
recommend you periodically change your passwords. The suggested time
varies, but I will throw out a 'once in every 3 to 6 months for
every account you have.'

Tip (5):
This tip is also 'questionable' in the one time section; however -
if properly setup - this one can be pretty well ignored for most people
after the initial 'fiddle-with' time.

Why you should use a computer firewall..
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/viruses/fwbene...

You should, in some way, use a firewall. Hardware (like a nice
Cable Modem/DSL router) or software is up to you. Many use both of
these. The simplest one to use is the hardware one, as most people
don't do anything that they will need to configure their NAT device
for and those who do certainly will not mind fiddling with the equipment
to make things work for them. Next in the line of simplicity would
have to be the built-in Windows Firewall of Windows XP. In SP2 it
is turned on by default. It is not difficult to turn on in any
case, however:

Enable/Disable the Internet Connection Firewall (Pre-SP2):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

More information on the Internet Connection Firewall (Pre-SP2):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320855

Post-SP2 Windows Firewall Information/guidance:
http://snipurl.com/atal

The trouble with the Windows Firewall is that it only keeps things
out. For most people who maintain their system in other ways, this is
MORE than sufficient. However, you may feel otherwise. If you want to
know when one of your applications is trying to obtain access to the
outside world so you can stop it, then you will have to install a
third-party application and configure/maintain it. I have compiled a
list with links of some of the better known/free firewalls you can choose
from:

BlackICE PC Protection (~$39.95 and up)
http://blackice.iss.net/

Jetico Personal Firewall (Free)
http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/jpfirewall.htm

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Outpost Firewall from Agnitum (Free and up)
http://www.agnitum.com/download/

Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall (~$25 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/npf/

ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
http://snipurl.com/6ohg

You should find the right firewall for your situation in that
list and set it up.

Every firewall WILL require some maintenance. Essentially checking for
patches or upgrades (this goes for hardware and software solutions) is
the extent of this maintenance - you may also have to configure your
firewall to allow some traffic depending on your needs.

** Don't stack the software firewalls! Running more than one software
firewall will not make you safer - it would possibly negate some
protection you gleamed from one or the other firewall you run.

Now that you have some of the more basic things down..
Let's go through some of the steps you should take periodically to
maintain a healthy and stable windows computer. If you have not
done some of these things in the past, they may seem tedious - however,
they will become routine and some can even be automatically scheduled.

Tip (6):
The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows
ME and then sticking around for Windows XP. It is a useful feature
if you keep it maintained and use it to your advantage. Remember that
the system restore pretty much tells you in the name what it protects
which is 'system' files. Your documents, your pictures, your stuff is
NOT system files - so you should also look into some backup solution.

I have seen the automatic system restore go wrong too many times not
to suggest the following.. Whenever you think about it (after doing a
once-over on your machine once a month or so would be optimal) - clear
out your System Restore and create a manual restoration point.

'Why?'

Too many times have I seen the system restore files go corrupt or get
a virus in them, meaning you could not or did not want to restore from
them. By clearing it out periodically you help prevent any corruption
from happening and you make sure you have at least one good "snapshot".
(*This, of course, will erase any previous restore point you have.*)

- Turn off System Restore.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
- Reboot the Computer.
- Review the first bullet to turn on System Restore
- Make a Manual Restoration Point.
http://snipurl.com/68nx

That covers your system files, but doesn't do anything for the files
that you are REALLY worried about - yours! For that you need to look
into backups. You can either manually copy your important files, folders,
documents, spreadsheets, emails, contacts, pictures, drawings and so on
to an external location (CD/DVD - any disk of some sort, etc) or you can
use the backup tool that comes with Windows XP:

How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

Yes - you still need some sort of external media to store the results
on, but you could schedule the backup to occur when you are not around,
then burn the resultant data onto CD or DVD or something when you are
(while you do other things!)

A lot of people have wondered about how to completely backup their system
so that they would not have to go through the trouble of a reinstall..
I'm going to voice my opinion here and say that it would be worthless to
do for MOST people. Unless you plan on periodically updating the image
backup of your system (remaking it) - then by the time you use it
(something goes wrong) - it will be so outdated as to be more trouble than
performing a full install of the operating system and all applications.

Having said my part against it, you can clone/backup your hard drive
completely using many methods - by far the simplest are using disk cloning
applications:

Symantec/Norton Ghost
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/

Acronis True Image
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage

Tip (7):
You should sometimes look through the list of applications that are
installed on your computer. The list may surprise you. There are more
than likely things in there you know you never use - so why have them
there? There may even be things you know you did *not* install and
certainly do not use (maybe don't WANT to use.)

This web site should help you get started at looking through this list:

How to Uninstall Programs
http://snipurl.com/8v6b

A word of warning - Do NOT uninstall anything you think you MIGHT need
in the future unless you have completed Tip (1) and have the installation
media and proper keys for use backed up somewhere safe!

Tip (8):
Patches and Updates!

This one cannot be stressed enough. It is SO simple, yet so neglected
by many people. It is especially simple for the critical Windows patches!
Microsoft put in an AUTOMATED feature for you to utilize so that you do
NOT have to worry yourself about the patching of the Operating System:

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

However, not everyone wants to be a slave to automation, and that is
fine. Admittedly, I prefer this method on some of my more critical
systems.

Windows Update
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Go there and scan your machine for updates. Always get the critical ones
as you see them. Write down the KB###### or Q###### you see when
selecting the updates and if you have trouble over the next few days,
go into your control panel (Add/Remove Programs), insure that the
'Show Updates' checkbox is checked and match up the latest numbers you
downloaded recently (since you started noticing an issue) and uninstall
them. If there was more than one (usually is), uninstall them one by one
with a few hours of use in between, to see if the problem returns.
Yes - the process is not perfect (updating) and can cause trouble like I
mentioned - but as you can see, the solution isn't that bad - and is
MUCH better than the alternatives.

Windows is not the only product you likely have on your PC. The
manufacturers of the other products usually have updates. New versions
of almost everything come out all the time - some are free, some are pay
and some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best
to check. Just go to their web pages and look under their support and
download sections. For example, for Microsoft Office you should visit:

Microsoft Office Updates
http://office.microsoft.com/
(and select 'Check for Updates' and/or 'Downloads' for more)

You also have hardware on your machine that requires drivers to interface
with the operating system. You have a video card that allows you to see on
your screen, a sound card that allows you to hear your PCs sound output and
so on. Visit those manufacturer web sites for the latest downloadable
drivers for your hardware/operating system. Always get the manufacturers'
hardware driver over any Microsoft offers. On the Windows Update site I
mentioned earlier, I suggest NOT getting their hardware drivers - no matter
how tempting.

How do you know what hardware you have in your computer? Break out the
invoice or if it is up and working now - take inventory:

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...

Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

NVidia Video Card Drivers

ATI Video Card Drivers
http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

Creative Labs Sound Device
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

C-Media Sound Device
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm

Then install these drivers. Updated drivers are usually more stable and
may provide extra benefits/features that you really wished you had before.

As for Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP, Microsoft has made this
particular patch available in a number of ways. First, there is the
Windows Update web page above. Then there is a direct download site
and finally, you can order the FREE CD from Microsoft.

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
http://snipurl.com/8umo

If all else fails - grab the full download above and try to use that.
In this case - consider yourself a 'IT professional or developer'.

Tip (9):
What about the dreaded word in the computer world, VIRUS?

Well, there are many products to choose from that will help you prevent
infections from these horrid little applications. Many are FREE to the
home user and which you choose is a matter of taste, really. Many people
have emotional attachments or performance issues with one or another
AntiVirus software. Try some out, read reviews and decide for yourself
which you like more:

( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

avast! (Free and up)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://free.grisoft.com/

eset NOD32 (~$39.00 and up)
http://www.eset.com/products/products.htm

eTrust EZ Antivirus (~$29.95 and up)
http://ca.com/store/home/us/hp2/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
http://www.mcafee.com/

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
(Free Online Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...)

Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to
look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally
settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and
perform a full scan periodically (yes, most protect you actively, but a
full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)

Tip (10):
The most rampant infestation at the current time concerns SPYWARE/ADWARE.
You need to eliminate it from your machine.

There is no one software that cleans and immunizes you against
everything. Antivirus software - you only needed one. Firewall, you
only needed one. AntiSpyware - you will need several. I have a list and
I recommend you use at least the first five.

First - make sure you have NOT installed "Rogue AntiSpyware". There are
people out there who created AntiSpyware products that actually install
spyware of their own! You need to avoid these:

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

Also, you can always visit this site..
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
For more updated information.

Install the first five of these: (Install, Run, Update, Scan with..)
(If you already have one or more - uninstall them and download the
LATEST version from the page given!)

Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )

Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate3 )

SpywareBlaster (Free!)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate6 )

IE-SPYAD2 (Free!)
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate7 )

CWShredder Stand-Alone (Free!)
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...

Hijack This! (Free!)
(Log Analyzer: http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/ )

ToolbarCop (Free!)
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

Microsoft AntiSpyware BETA (in testing stages - Free!)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/fqur )

Browser Security Tests (Free Tester)
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

Popup Tester (Free Tester)
http://www.popuptest.com/

The Cleaner (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.moosoft.com/

Sometimes you need to install the application and reboot into SAFE MODE in
order to thoroughly clean your computer. Many applications also have
(or are) immunization applications. Spybot Search and Destroy and
SpywareBlaster are two that currently do the best job at passively
protecting your system from malware. None of these programs (in these
editions) run in the background unless you TELL them to. The space they
take up and how easy they are to use greatly makes up for any inconvenience
you may be feeling.

Please notice that Windows XP SP2 does help stop popups as well.

Another option is to use an alternative Web browser. I suggest
'Mozilla Firefox', as it has some great features and is very easy to use:

Mozilla Firefox

So your machine is pretty clean and up to date now. If you use the sections
above as a guide, it should stay that way as well! There are still a few
more things you can do to keep your machine running in top shape.

Tip (11):
You should periodically check your hard drive(s) for errors and defragment
them. Only defragment after you have cleaned up your machine of
outside parasites and never defragment as a solution to a quirkiness in
your system. It may help speed up your system, but it should be clean
before you do this. Do these things IN ORDER...

How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

I would personally perform the above steps at least once every three months.
For most people this should be sufficient, but if the difference you notice
afterwards is greater than you think it should be, lessen the time in
between its schedule.. If the difference you notice is negligible, you can
increase the time.

Tip (12):
SPAM! JUNK MAIL!
This one can get annoying, just like the rest. You get 50 emails in one
sitting and 2 of them you wanted. NICE! (Not.) What can you do? Well,
although there are services out there to help you, some email
servers/services that actually do lower your spam with features built into
their servers - I still like the methods that let you be the end-decision
maker on what is spam and what is not. I have two products to suggest to
you, look at them and see if either of them suite your needs. Again, if
they don't, Google is free and available for your perusal.

SpamBayes (Free!)
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

Spamihilator (Free!)
http://www.spamihilator.com/

As I said, those are not your only options, but are reliable ones I have
seen function for hundreds+ people.

Tip (13):
ADVANCED TIP! Only do this once you are comfortable under the hood of your
computer!

There are lots of services on your PC that are probably turned on by default
you don't use. Why have them on? Check out these web pages to see what all
of the services you might find on your computer are and set them according
to your personal needs. Be CAREFUL what you set to manual, and take heed
and write down as you change things! Also, don't expect a large performance
increase or anything - especially on today's 2+ GHz machines, however - I
look at each service you set to manual as one less service you have to worry
about someone exploiting.

Configuring Services
http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

Task List Programs
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....

Processes in Windows NT/2000/XP
http://www.reger24.de/prozesse/

There are also applications that AREN'T services that startup when you start
up the computer/logon. One of the better description on how to handle these
I have found here:

Startups
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

If you follow the advice laid out above (and do some of your own research as
well, so you understand what you are doing) - your computer will stay fairly
stable and secure and you will have a more trouble-free system.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

firewall hmmm zonealarm, hardware firewall would probably be best.

spyware: spybot search and destory does the trick for most.

anti-virus try avg www.grisoft.com

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that is
> effective?
> Thanx

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:58:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

what u mean by hardware firewall?
Is linksys router a hardware firewall?
Thanx

"spamme" <spamme@patchsupplier.dyndns.org> wrote in message
news:o mlaNzGnFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> firewall hmmm zonealarm, hardware firewall would probably be best.
>
> spyware: spybot search and destory does the trick for most.
>
> anti-virus try avg www.grisoft.com
>

> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that is
>> effective?
>> Thanx

August 9, 2005 3:59:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes, Linksys routers do have firewalls.
> what u mean by hardware firewall?
> Is linksys router a hardware firewall?
> Thanx
>
> "spamme" <spamme@patchsupplier.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> news:o mlaNzGnFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> firewall hmmm zonealarm, hardware firewall would probably be best.
>>
>> spyware: spybot search and destory does the trick for most.
>>
>> anti-virus try avg www.grisoft.com
>>

>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that
>>> is effective?
>>> Thanx

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:59:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Not all Routers have a firewall build in.Using your model number check on
the Linksys website if yours does.
I use both a Router with a firewall as well as ZoneAlarm...........works
great.
AVG is a good anti virus program.
Adaware and SpyBot are great anti spyware programs.
and I dont know if its free anymore but I use Mailwasher to scan Email for
Spam.Its lets you download just the headers and you decide what you wish to
open or delete from the Mailserver before it reaches your Computer.
peterk

the problem
"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
> what u mean by hardware firewall?
> Is linksys router a hardware firewall?
> Thanx
>
> "spamme" <spamme@patchsupplier.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> news:o mlaNzGnFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> firewall hmmm zonealarm, hardware firewall would probably be best.
>>
>> spyware: spybot search and destory does the trick for most.
>>
>> anti-virus try avg www.grisoft.com
>>

>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that
>>> is effective?
>>> Thanx

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:59:00 AM

dh wrote:
> what u mean by hardware firewall?
> Is linksys router a hardware firewall?
> Thanx

Sorta, but not really. Most consumer router/switches/internet gateways
that have a firewall, they are software-based, not hardware.

This is a general answer, YMMV, depending on what actual router you
have.

--

dh wrote:
> what u mean by hardware firewall?
> Is linksys router a hardware firewall?

No, not really. It's a router with NAT (Network Address Translation.)

If you use a router with NAT, it's still a very good idea to use a
3rd party software firewall. Like WinXP's built-in firewall,
NAT-capable routers do *nothing* to protect the user from him/herself
(or any "curious," over-confident teenagers in the home). Again --
and I cannot emphasize this enough -- almost all spyware and many
Trojans and worms are downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit
unknowingly) by the user. So a software firewall, such as Sygate or
ZoneAlarm, that can detect and warn the user of unauthorized out-going
traffic is an important element of protecting one's privacy and
security. (Remember: Most antivirus applications do not even scan for
or protect you from adware/spyware, because, after all, you've
installed them yourself, so you must want them there, right?)

I use both a router with NAT and Sygate Personal Firewall, even
though I generally know better than to install scumware. When it
comes to computer security and protecting my privacy, I prefer the old
"belt and suspenders" approach. In the professional IT community,
this is also known as a "layered defense." Basically, it comes down
to never, ever "putting all of your eggs in one basket."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:59:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Not all router have firewalls! NAT is not a true firewall.

"Brian" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Yes, Linksys routers do have firewalls.
> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>> what u mean by hardware firewall?
>> Is linksys router a hardware firewall?
>> Thanx
>>
>> "spamme" <spamme@patchsupplier.dyndns.org> wrote in message
>> news:o mlaNzGnFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> firewall hmmm zonealarm, hardware firewall would probably be best.
>>>
>>> spyware: spybot search and destory does the trick for most.
>>>
>>> anti-virus try avg www.grisoft.com
>>>

>>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:45:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Anti Virus = AVG Free version (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1)

Firewall = ZoneAlarm Free version (www.zonelabs.com)

Spyware = Ad-Aware (www.lavasoftusa.com)
Spyware = Spybot Search And Destory (www.safer-networking.org)

In the case of spyware i suggest you download both Ad-Aware and Spybot and
use both regularly.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that is
> effective?
> Thanx

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:55:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You can start by testing it here https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

> Thank you very much for reply.
> How can I know my PC is free from being reached by hackers and backdoors?
> Thanx
>

> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>> dh wrote:
>>> Can anyone suggest freeware firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware that
>>> is effective?
>>> Thanx
>>

>> You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will
>>
>> I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
>> Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
>> without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
>> But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
>> products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
>> were acquired by Network Associates.
>>
>> However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
>> Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
>> higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
>> expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
>> GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
>> free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
>> (http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
>> easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
>> was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
>> improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
>> product.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:01:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

Your addresses are invalid!

> dh wrote:
> > what u mean by hardware firewall?
> > Is linksys router a hardware firewall?
>
> No, not really. It's a router with NAT (Network Address Translation.)
>
> If you use a router with NAT, it's still a very good idea to use a
> 3rd party software firewall. Like WinXP's built-in firewall,
> NAT-capable routers do *nothing* to protect the user from him/herself
> (or any "curious," over-confident teenagers in the home). Again --
> and I cannot emphasize this enough -- almost all spyware and many
> Trojans and worms are downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit
> unknowingly) by the user.

Correct. And this can simply be avoided by NOT running as "Administrator"
and setting up the preconfigured "Software Restrictions Policies" to
disable execution of files except from %SystemRoot% and beyond and
%ProgramFiles% and beyond.

> So a software firewall, such as Sygate or ZoneAlarm, that can detect
> and warn the user of unauthorized out-going traffic is an important
> element of protecting one's privacy and security.

Not correct: NONE of these firewalls is able to detect more than the
most direct and "dumbest" attempts to "phone home".

Proof of concept: http://www.dingens.org/breakout.c

http://www.ulm.ccc.de/chaos-seminar/personal-firewalls/
http://copton.net/vortraege/pfw/
http://www.dingens.org/pf-bericht/

And, what's worse: most of these toys open ports and open windows on
the users desktop. Since they run under SYSTEM account this makes them
vulnerable to shatter attacks!

http://security.tombom.co.uk/shatter.html
http://security.tombom.co.uk/moreshatter.html

Running under SYSTEM account and opening Windows on the users desktop
is a no-no: Microsoft STRONGLY discourages service writers from doing so!

> (Remember: Most antivirus applications do not even scan for
> or protect you from adware/spyware, because, after all, you've
> installed them yourself, so you must want them there, right?)

Correct. But why should someone care AFTER the fact, when it's possible
to take care of BEFORE the fact? Running as restricted user, with SAFER
in place will defend all the malware!

> I use both a router with NAT and Sygate Personal Firewall, even
> though I generally know better than to install scumware. When it
> comes to computer security and protecting my privacy, I prefer the old
> "belt and suspenders" approach. In the professional IT community,
> this is also known as a "layered defense." Basically, it comes down
> to never, ever "putting all of your eggs in one basket."

Correct. But it's also true that every piece of code might contain errors.
Removing as many pieces of code as possible will therefore raise security.

Apropos "layered defense" and beeing consequent:
has known security holes, an updated version was released two weeks ago.

What you've not mentioned here is:
* remove all system components you don't need.
For the home user without LAN the "Microsoft Network" etc. is superfluous,
s/he only needs TCP/IP.
* remove (or disable) all services you don't need.
DCOM and RPC need not listen on any interfaces in a home environment.

When you perform all these steps thoroughly you'll end up with a system
not exposing a single open port on it's internet connection.
See http://home.arcor.de/skanthak/harden2k.html or http://www.ntsvcfg.de
You won't even NEED the Windows Firewall then, because: what should it
protect?

Stefan
fup2 microsoft.public.security
!