Is there a log where I can see machine power down / up?

Hi,
Is there a log where I can see a server's power cycles?
I wouls like to be able to see when was the machine powered off and
when was is powered on. I need to distinguish powere shutdown from
reboots where the power was'nt shutdown.
(My machines are all HP servers)
Thanks,
Erez.

s_erez@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a log where I can see a server's power cycles?
> I wouls like to be able to see when was the machine powered off and
> when was is powered on. I need to distinguish powere shutdown from
> reboots where the power was'nt shutdown.
> (My machines are all HP servers)

Try the os boot messages in /var/log/messages. If there are shutdown messages
just before the boot messages, it was a clean shutdown, otherwise it most likely
was a power failure...

If you have a gsp (guardian service processor) it might be in its log. Telnet to
your lanconsole or browse to your webconsole (or at the effective console?):
- type ^ecf (<ctrl><e> cf) to switch to read/write access
- type ^b (<ctrl><b>) to access the gsp
- type cl or sl for the available logs (or he for some help).

If you need more info, best to search the web (hp-s sites) for documentation.

CBee

TRENDING THREADS