Outlook Express hangs on connecting

Hi Everyone

I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application hangs
on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to use System
Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats the object if
the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is removed from the
system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot spend all one's time
restoring the system.

If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most grateful.
21 answers Last reply
More about outlook express hangs connecting

    Outlook Express Specific Newsgroup:

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Neil UK wrote:

    > Hi Everyone
    >
    > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application hangs
    > on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to use System
    > Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats the object if
    > the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is removed from the
    > system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot spend all one's time
    > restoring the system.
    >
    > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most grateful.

    Thank you for giving me this. But when I tried it, a box came up saying "411,
    no such newsgroup". I have found in Kelly's extensive Korner a link to an
    Outlook Forum, but not OE. Forgive me for asking, but have you spelled the
    link correctly?

    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > Outlook Express Specific Newsgroup:
    >

    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > Neil UK wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Everyone
    > >
    > > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application hangs
    > > on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to use System
    > > Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats the object if
    > > the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is removed from the
    > > system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot spend all one's time
    > > restoring the system.
    > >
    > > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most grateful.

    How interesting....

    What are the programs in question, is this only for an install that needs a
    reboot, are these programs directly related to either IE or OE and is OE the
    only program that shows this type of behavior?
    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Neil UK" <NeilUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone
    >
    > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    > hangs
    > on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to use
    > System
    > Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats the object
    > if
    > the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is removed from
    > the
    > system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot spend all one's
    > time
    > restoring the system.
    >
    > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
    > grateful.

    Hi Kelly

    Thank you for your interest. The most frequent sort of download that
    requires a reboot is Norton Internet Security 2005. However, I think this
    could occur with any other download requiring a reboot. At the moment, I am
    not even certain that the problem could not occur with just an ordinary
    reboot. If I have the time available, I will try a standard reboot for no
    reason at all and see if that gives the same problem. OE is the only program
    giving this sort of problem, and only the problem I have already described.

    The challenge will come today, August 9, which is the publication date for
    Windows Update's latest fixes.

    This may help http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip

    "Neil UK" <NeilUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone
    >
    > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    > hangs
    > on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to use
    > System
    > Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats the object
    > if
    > the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is removed from
    > the
    > system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot spend all one's
    > time
    > restoring the system.
    >
    > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
    > grateful.

    Did that happen when you clicked the link?

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

    > Thank you for giving me this. But when I tried it, a box came up
    > saying "411, no such newsgroup". I have found in Kelly's extensive
    > Korner a link to an Outlook Forum, but not OE. Forgive me for asking,
    > but have you spelled the link correctly?
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    >
    >> Outlook Express Specific Newsgroup:

    Winsockxpfix isn't needed in SP2, butts.

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > This may help http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip
    >

    > "Neil UK" <NeilUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Everyone
    > >
    > > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    > > hangs
    > > on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to use
    > > System
    > > Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats the
    > > object if
    > > the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is removed from
    > > the
    > > system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot spend all one's
    > > time
    > > restoring the system.
    > >
    > > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
    > > grateful.

    1. Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
    additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

    <paste>
    Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
    are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
    incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
    email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
    make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
    Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
    the most recent virus definitions.
    </paste>
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

    2. Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
    Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
    from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    Identities).

    To avoid such corruption in future:

    Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    folders created for this purpose.

    Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

    Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

    Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

    Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:
    OE General newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

    Neil UK wrote:
    > Hi Everyone
    >
    > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    > hangs on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to
    > use System Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats
    > the object if the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is
    > removed from the system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot
    > spend all one's time restoring the system.
    >
    > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
    > grateful.

    Thank you, I will certainly try these fixes. I will let you know what happens.

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > 1. Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
    > additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:
    >
    > <paste>
    > Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
    > are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
    > incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
    > email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
    > make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
    > Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
    > the most recent virus definitions.
    > </paste>
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106
    >
    > 2. Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
    > Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
    > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    > Identities).
    >
    > To avoid such corruption in future:
    >
    > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    > folders created for this purpose.
    >
    > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    >
    > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
    >
    > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
    >
    > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    > --
    > OE6-specific newsgroup:
    > OE General newsgroup:
    >
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    >
    > Neil UK wrote:
    > > Hi Everyone
    > >
    > > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    > > hangs on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to
    > > use System Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats
    > > the object if the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is
    > > removed from the system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot
    > > spend all one's time restoring the system.
    > >
    > > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
    > > grateful.

    Thank you both. The copy-and-paste of the URL introduced two unnecessary
    hyphens which screwed me up badly. I now have the website for OE Forum. Sorry.
    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > Did that happen when you clicked the link?
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >
    > "Neil UK" <NeilUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for giving me this. But when I tried it, a box came up
    > > saying "411, no such newsgroup". I have found in Kelly's extensive
    > > Korner a link to an Outlook Forum, but not OE. Forgive me for asking,
    > > but have you spelled the link correctly?
    > >
    > > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Outlook Express Specific Newsgroup:

    So now I had the time to to what we would say in England is a "bog" standard
    reboot after a long day's work when I didn't dare interfere. The word is
    serendipity but it might have been reverse serendipity in my case: I did a
    standard reboot and, naturally when the reboot was finished, would you belive
    it (yes you would) but Windows Update was downloading all this new stuff. So
    I installed it, and rebooted (you don't really have a choice, do you?) And,
    wonder of wonders, my OE opened with no problems.

    Well, until the next time, that is ---- Watch this space.

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > How interesting....
    >
    > What are the programs in question, is this only for an install that needs a
    > reboot, are these programs directly related to either IE or OE and is OE the
    > only program that shows this type of behavior?
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Neil UK" <NeilUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Everyone
    > >
    > > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    > > hangs
    > > on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to use
    > > System
    > > Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats the object
    > > if
    > > the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is removed from
    > > the
    > > system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot spend all one's
    > > time
    > > restoring the system.
    > >
    > > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
    > > grateful.

    FWIW this was posted in another MS newsgroup today:

    <QP>
    By any chance do you have Norton Internet Security on your computer ??? If
    you do they had a problem last week with one of their live updates that
    messed up the firewall configuration. Once this occurs you will no longer be
    able to send or receive E-Mail or possibly utilize your browser. If you do
    have Norton Internet Security on your computer you will need to reset your
    firewall rules. Go to the Symantec website and do a search of their
    Knowledgebase for a step by step procedure.
    </QP>
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Neil UK wrote:
    > Thank you, I will certainly try these fixes. I will let you know what
    > happens.
    >
    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    >> 1. Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
    >> additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:
    >>
    >> <paste>
    >> Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
    >> that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
    >> scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including
    >> email
    >> and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of
    >> this. To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection,
    >> keep Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you
    >> have the most recent virus definitions.
    >> </paste>
    >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106
    >>
    >> 2. Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default
    >> Main
    >> Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    >> (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
    >> messages
    >> from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    >> Identities).
    >>
    >> To avoid such corruption in future:
    >>
    >> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    >> folders created for this purpose.
    >>
    >> Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    >>
    >> Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
    >> manual
    >> compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    >> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
    >>
    >> Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    >> Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
    >>
    >> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    >> corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    >> --
    >> OE6-specific newsgroup:
    >> OE General newsgroup:
    >>
    >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    >>
    >> Neil UK wrote:
    >>> Hi Everyone
    >>>
    >>> I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    >>> downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    >>> afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    >>> hangs on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to
    >>> use System Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes
    >>> defeats
    >>> the object if the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is
    >>> removed from the system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot
    >>> spend all one's time restoring the system.
    >>>
    >>> If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
    >>> grateful.

    Why not.

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Winsockxpfix isn't needed in SP2, butts.
    >
    > Why not.

    Hi,

    Because you can use the command "netsh.exe winsock reset" instead.

    Here is what I post to users that have WinXP SP2 and where I
    suspect that they have a winsock issue:

    <quote>

    Please try this:

    Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

    netsh.exe winsock reset

    and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

    After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
    are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
    firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.

    </quote>

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    I said I would get back to you: I switched off the email scanning. I also
    attempted to use your advice on creating a new identity. Frankly, without
    your expertise, that exercise created such confusion that I found it
    necessary to use System Restore to go back to yesterday.

    Ultimately, the monthly Windows Update was downloaded and installed. After
    rebooting I had no problems with email connecting hang.

    Then I checked Norton Live Update and found that the security downloads that
    I had installed previously were now (because of System Restore, I presume)
    back in space waiting to be downloaded and installed a second time. So I did,
    and then rebooted and then the email system hung on Connecting.

    So I bit the bullet and uninstalled NIS 2005, plus Live Update plus Norton
    Security Centre. I then spent a long time reinstalling NIS 2005, followed by
    downloading 38MB of general updates, which were also installed. After a
    reboot, there was no problem. Everything worked fine.

    My regards and thanks to all who answered this thread.

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > 1. Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
    > additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:
    >
    > <paste>
    > Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
    > are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
    > incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
    > email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
    > make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
    > Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
    > the most recent virus definitions.
    > </paste>
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106
    >
    > 2. Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
    > Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
    > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    > Identities).
    >
    > To avoid such corruption in future:
    >
    > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    > folders created for this purpose.
    >
    > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    >
    > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
    >
    > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
    >
    > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    > --
    > OE6-specific newsgroup:
    > OE General newsgroup:
    >
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    >
    > Neil UK wrote:
    > > Hi Everyone
    > >
    > > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    > > hangs on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to
    > > use System Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats
    > > the object if the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is
    > > removed from the system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot
    > > spend all one's time restoring the system.
    > >
    > > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
    > > grateful.

    Recent NIS (and, dare I say, NAV) updates have created a massive amount of
    problems for many users, Neil.

    YW. /Hopefully/ you've kept Email Protection disabled.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Neil UK wrote:
> [...]
    > > --
    > > OE6-specific newsgroup:
    > > OE General newsgroup:
    > >
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    > >
    > > Neil UK wrote:
    > > > Hi Everyone
    > > >
    > > > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    > > > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    > > > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    > > > hangs on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to
    > > > use System Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes
    > > > defeats the object if the download was, for instance, a Windows
    > > > update, which is removed from the system after the restoration.
    > > > Besides which one cannot spend all one's time restoring the system.
    > > >
    > > > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most

    Hi Neil,

    Serendipity and may I add: Chagrin, I think are seldom used words that do
    have a lot to say. :o)

    --

    > So now I had the time to to what we would say in England is a "bog"
    > standard
    > reboot after a long day's work when I didn't dare interfere. The word is
    > serendipity but it might have been reverse serendipity in my case: I did a
    > standard reboot and, naturally when the reboot was finished, would you
    > belive
    > it (yes you would) but Windows Update was downloading all this new stuff.
    > So
    > I installed it, and rebooted (you don't really have a choice, do you?)
    > And,
    > wonder of wonders, my OE opened with no problems.
    >
    > Well, until the next time, that is ---- Watch this space.
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> How interesting....
    >>
    >> What are the programs in question, is this only for an install that needs
    >> reboot, are these programs directly related to either IE or OE and is OE
    >> the
    >> only program that shows this type of behavior?
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Neil UK" <NeilUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Everyone
    >> >
    >> > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
    >> > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
    >> > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
    >> > hangs
    >> > on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to use
    >> > System
    >> > Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes defeats the
    >> > object
    >> > if
    >> > the download was, for instance, a Windows update, which is removed from
    >> > the
    >> > system after the restoration. Besides which one cannot spend all one's
    >> > time
    >> > restoring the system.
    >> >
    >> > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
    >> > grateful.

    To complete the picture -- Yup, I disabled the email scanner, but it refuses
    to believe me and goes on merrily scanning them even though turned off. So,
    go figure.

    > To complete the picture -- Yup, I disabled the email scanner, but it
    > refuses to believe me and goes on merrily scanning them even though
    > turned off. So, go figure.

    I'd say it's time to dump Norton and get something that works.

    I use AVG for an anti-virus and the Windows Firewall.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Thanks Frank for the information about AVG, about which I knew nothing. I
    have seen it now and will investigate.

    The problem with all of these programs is that they deal only with a part of
    the problem. Norton, as in NIS, gives one an integrated shot at handling all
    problems at once. Not perfect, but trying hard.

    So what do you want? This program for AV, that program for firewall, some
    third program covering another angle and so on? I know that is the way some
    people handle the problems of security: mix and match. But as just an average
    user, I don't want 4 different programs, I want one that tackles everything
    from soup to nuts.

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

    > "Neil UK" <NeilUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > To complete the picture -- Yup, I disabled the email scanner, but it
    > > refuses to believe me and goes on merrily scanning them even though
    > > turned off. So, go figure.
    >
    > I'd say it's time to dump Norton and get something that works.
    >
    > I use AVG for an anti-virus and the Windows Firewall.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Thanks Frank for the information about AVG, about which I knew
    > nothing. I have seen it now and will investigate.
    >
    > The problem with all of these programs is that they deal only with a
    > part of the problem. Norton, as in NIS, gives one an integrated shot
    > at handling all problems at once. Not perfect, but trying hard.
    >
    > So what do you want? This program for AV, that program for firewall,
    > some third program covering another angle and so on? I know that is
    > the way some people handle the problems of security: mix and match.
    > But as just an average user, I don't want 4 different programs, I
    > want one that tackles everything from soup to nuts.
    >
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    >
    >> I'd say it's time to dump Norton and get something that works.
    >>
    >> I use AVG for an anti-virus and the Windows Firewall.

    Norton is also bloated and has hooks so deep into the operating system that
    it often causes problems.

    Microsoft Anti-Spyware is pretty good for spyyware, but you should also use
    Ad-Aware and Spybot S &D, although only one of the three should be resident.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Outlook Express Windows XP