Dimension XPS T600 - Upgrade update

I wanted to post an update to the XPS T600 system I am upgrading. I was
able to get my hands on a Pentium 3 850mhz/100mhz/256k cpu at a low cost
that is guaranteed working. When I stick the CPU in and have just memory
and an AGP video card connected, the system powers on, but does not post. I
am just wondering, if rather I need a 600mhz cpu, boot the system, flash the
BIOS and then use the 850mhz...? The motherboard in this system is a Rev.
A01 with probably an early BIOS on it.

Suggestions?

B. Walker wrote:
> I wanted to post an update to the XPS T600 system I am upgrading. I was
> able to get my hands on a Pentium 3 850mhz/100mhz/256k cpu at a low cost
> that is guaranteed working. When I stick the CPU in and have just memory
> and an AGP video card connected, the system powers on, but does not post. I
> am just wondering, if rather I need a 600mhz cpu, boot the system, flash the
> BIOS and then use the 850mhz...? The motherboard in this system is a Rev.
> A01 with probably an early BIOS on it.
>
> Suggestions?

The Coppermine P3 processors would have probably needed a bios
upgrade. However, there are additional requirements, including
the motherboard also having a voltage regulator for the lower
Vcore of the Coppermine P3's. At this stage, it is difficult to
ascertain what might be the situation, including the fact that
the Coppermine P3 processor could have been fried due to the
higher Vcore being supplied for the earlier Katmai P3 CPU's.

What was the description of the Katmai p3's besides the 1.7vcore? What was
the best way to identify them?

"B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> What was the description of the Katmai p3's besides the 1.7vcore? What
> was the best way to identify them?

Socketed (FCPGA) or Slotted (slot 1) ?

Sure, check the S-Spec for the stepping on the Intel site.

The BIOS should be flashed before adding the coppermine processor. The
latest BIOS for the T series is A11 (if memory serves me). Other than that
it should be P&P.

>I wanted to post an update to the XPS T600 system I am upgrading. I was
>able to get my hands on a Pentium 3 850mhz/100mhz/256k cpu at a low cost
>that is guaranteed working. When I stick the CPU in and have just memory
>and an AGP video card connected, the system powers on, but does not post.
>I am just wondering, if rather I need a 600mhz cpu, boot the system, flash
>the BIOS and then use the 850mhz...? The motherboard in this system is a
>Rev. A01 with probably an early BIOS on it.
>
> Suggestions?

"B. Walker" wrote...
> I wanted to post an update to the XPS T600 system I am upgrading. I was
> able to get my hands on a Pentium 3 850mhz/100mhz/256k cpu at a low cost
> that is guaranteed working. When I stick the CPU in and have just memory
> and an AGP video card connected, the system powers on, but does not post.
> am just wondering, if rather I need a 600mhz cpu, boot the system, flash
the
> BIOS and then use the 850mhz...? The motherboard in this system is a Rev.
> A01 with probably an early BIOS on it.

Definitely flash the BIOS.

Here are two important pages:

http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/
http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/xpstproc.htm

Where did you get the 850?

Ed

eBay for $49.

"Ed Wurster" <glass_net@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "B. Walker" wrote...
>> I wanted to post an update to the XPS T600 system I am upgrading. I was
>> able to get my hands on a Pentium 3 850mhz/100mhz/256k cpu at a low cost
>> that is guaranteed working. When I stick the CPU in and have just memory
>> and an AGP video card connected, the system powers on, but does not post.
>> am just wondering, if rather I need a 600mhz cpu, boot the system, flash
> the
>> BIOS and then use the 850mhz...? The motherboard in this system is a
>> Rev.
>> A01 with probably an early BIOS on it.
>
> Definitely flash the BIOS.
>
> Here are two important pages:
>
> http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/
> http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/xpstproc.htm
>
> Where did you get the 850?
>
> Ed

You are right, I surfed around on Dell and the latest is A11, also I found
that A07 was the first BIOS to support Coppermine cpu's so that should work
then just fine. Now to borrow my friends 550...