Tech "Identifying the positive side of Capacitors"

Last response: in Video Games
June 21, 2005 12:47:54 AM

I am new to board work and have a dumb question about the capacitors I
just ordered. How do you identify the positive side and negative side
of the Capacitors? I was under the impression that they would have
been identified with the standard + or - sign. The capacitors I
received in my order have arrows pointing in one direction. From what I
have been reading on the net, it looks as the arrows on the capacitors
are pointing towards the negative side of the capacitor. Am I correct
in this assumption? I would hate to see them explode on me.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:09:50 AM

And in surface mount big guys->

If it's a tantalum, the bar is positive, if its electrolytic, the bar
is negative. Don't forget, or you'll remember the hard way ;-)
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:13:27 AM

I told you this was a dumb question. Now that I look closely I see the
smaller arrow has a negative sign in it. I was under the impression
that is was just part of the design graphics of the arrows. While being
new to electronics I would have guessed that the arrows would have been
positive. DUH....

So the answer to my own question is the arrow points to the Negative
side of the capacitor.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies
June 21, 2005 1:27:26 AM

The capacitor was an Electrolytic100uf 100v. It was purchased from Ed
at Great Plaines Electronics. Thanks Ed for your quick response to this
thread.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:54:10 AM

The arrow itself ( long stripe up and down the cap ) does it have a + or -
on it ? LTG :)

"Jeff (JAW)" <jeff@jeffpinball.com> wrote in message
> I am new to board work and have a dumb question about the capacitors I
> just ordered. How do you identify the positive side and negative side
> of the Capacitors? I was under the impression that they would have
> been identified with the standard + or - sign. The capacitors I
> received in my order have arrows pointing in one direction. From what I
> have been reading on the net, it looks as the arrows on the capacitors
> are pointing towards the negative side of the capacitor. Am I correct
> in this assumption? I would hate to see them explode on me.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:59:54 AM

There is normally an arrow pointing to one of the leads with a symbol within
the arrow.
Sometimes it's a "+", sometimes it's a "-" -- manufacturer dependent.
Most (but not all) manufacturers actually point to the negative ("-")
terminal.

-- Ed

"Jeff (JAW)" <jeff@jeffpinball.com> wrote in message
>I am new to board work and have a dumb question about the capacitors I
> just ordered. How do you identify the positive side and negative side
> of the Capacitors? I was under the impression that they would have
> been identified with the standard + or - sign. The capacitors I
> received in my order have arrows pointing in one direction. From what I
> have been reading on the net, it looks as the arrows on the capacitors
> are pointing towards the negative side of the capacitor. Am I correct
> in this assumption? I would hate to see them explode on me.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 3:00:13 AM

The long stripe, is there a minus ( negative sign ) on it ? also the longer
lead is usually positive. LTG :)

"Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
> The arrow itself ( long stripe up and down the cap ) does it have a + or -
> on it ? LTG :)
>
> "Jeff (JAW)" <jeff@jeffpinball.com> wrote in message
> > I am new to board work and have a dumb question about the capacitors I
> > just ordered. How do you identify the positive side and negative side
> > of the Capacitors? I was under the impression that they would have
> > been identified with the standard + or - sign. The capacitors I
> > received in my order have arrows pointing in one direction. From what I
> > have been reading on the net, it looks as the arrows on the capacitors
> > are pointing towards the negative side of the capacitor. Am I correct
> > in this assumption? I would hate to see them explode on me.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 3:36:48 AM

Yer welcome.

-- Ed