AMD to Launch 400Mhz FSB Barton

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Here's the story. 400mhz FSB Barton coming in May.

<A HREF="http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/02/27&pages=PR&seq=209" target="_new">http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/02/27&pages=PR&seq=209</A>

From most of the reviews I've read, most of the current 166 FSB Barton's can be run at 200 FSB, albeit at a lower total clockrate.

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

G

If they use a 200mhz fsb, then they'll be able to use ddr400 which would then be better than ddr333, plus a higher clock speed. That'd give them a pretty big jump in performance which would put them ahead of the p4 3.06

eden

Champion
Thank god Anandtech's report last year was not a lie, so indeed 400MHZ is a happening!

I've always seen 400MHZ FSB and DDR400 as a must for AthlonXPs.
This here shows great enhancements brought by it: <A HREF="http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=41" target="_new">http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=41</A>

It may be old but still makes sense and I feel it being credible.
Bartons, especially higher clocked ones will definitly benefit a lot from this, and I can expect optimistic 10% performance boosts.

What I really am worried and what would truly piss me off, is that AMD will once again revise the PR. If they do that and make a Barton 400MHZ FSB at 1.8GHZ called an XP3000+, I swear I am gonna contact nuke services and target their FAB30!!! :smile:

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Stormfury

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
Good news!!! Now I know I didn't waste a lot of money on my memory. I got pc3500 for a future upgrade to the Barton, but when they came out and they weren't 400mhz FSB I was disappointed that I had wasted money.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Uh....didn't they just release the new Barton CPUs earlier this month? And now they are going to release a 400FSB Barton CPU in May...uh huh.

So, does that mean new mobos for people who want to get the whole 400FSB thing, or will people just try to O/C their mobos in the hopes that it will run the same as a mobo setup for 400FSB?

Also, releasing a 400FSB CPU in May seems a bit close to the supposed Athlon64 release in September. Let's see...Feb. release Barton in limited quantities...May release 400FSB Barton (in limited quantities?)...Sept release Athlon64 (in limited quantities?). That just doesn't seem right....To me, that's alot of system upgrading in short amounts of time.

Well, hopefully they can release this version of Barton in more quantity than previous CPU launches.

What?

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Obviously u were never aquainted with the P4 Northwood 'B' ????

Only certain chipsets supported the new FSB speed......which werent available at the time of the 400Mhz FSB Northwoods...

in thsi case even right NOW these new Bartons WILL run on boards with such chipsets as the nVidia nForce 2........

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
But even with the nForce2 boards, I read an article where AMD and third party mobo makers, including nVidia, have to test the new chipsets and such. Even if the existing chipsets are capable of supporting the 400FSB, who knows how long the BIOS updates will take to develop?
<A HREF="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1093&e=2&cid=1093&u=/pcworld/20030228/tc_pcworld/109587" target="_new">Yahoo! article</A>

In my opinion, it still seems a bit odd to even announce this so soon after launching their Barton chips. At over $590USD for the Barton 3000+, what will the price be for the 400FSB 3200+, at it's May release? And being within 4 months of A64 release, what exactly does this mean for the A64 CPU? It's almost like AMD is creating competition within it's own products.

Just my $.02.

What?

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Thats not true.....the reason why is so that they dotn just cut all ties and drop all support for Socket A...they want there to be life left in other peoples Socket A solution........even of motherboards dont "officially" support the new Barton it will still work in any Sokcet A motherboard..just not necssarily at its intended FSB and overall speed...

just like there K6-2's.....u could pop them in just bout any Socket 7 motherboard whether or nto it officially supported the chip or displayed its proper name and speed.....

and still i dotn see how this is any different/wierder than Intel releasing there 400Mhz FSB Northwood P4's than 4 months later releasing there 533Mhz FSB Northwoods.........And when they released there 533 Northwood's they had to release a new chipset at the exact same time....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
That's just it....it was about 4 months when they released the 533 FSB NW CPUs. It wasn't announced 2 weeks after they released their newest CPU to market. Granted, the similarities are there, but it still doesn't make much sense to announce, even if they aren't official, a new CPU with a faster FSB right after releasing their newest CPU, and in limited quantities, at that. Not to mention that if AMD does release this 400FSB CPU, where exactly does that put the Athlon64 CPU? Will it still stay in the same config, or will they also use 400FSB with it? And if they do implement 400FSB with the A64 chip, does this mean another delay?

Again, this is all just speculation on my part, but the timing doesn't make much sense to me.

What?

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Personal 3% to 5% as up to now i am usaly right

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 02/28/03 08:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I think the timing makes perfect sense. The Athlon-64, from what I've heard, is not going to set the world on fire with its 32-bit performance. I read somewhere that if AMD can continue to improve yields on the .13 process and ramp up the megahertz on Barton, that Barton will be even with or even faster than the Athlon-64 in 32-bit apps. In other words, I think the Athlon-64 might be a little bit of a letdown when it finally gets here, so AMD might just NEED the Barton core to stay competitive.

Furthermore, Intel is going to be releasing the 3.6 ghz 800FSB Pentium 4 sometime in May (?) Again, AMD will need to stay competitive, and 400 FSB running synchronously with DDR400 might just keep them in the running, especially if they can add another 300 megahertz or so. I've seen in some reviews that the first Bartons were overclocking to 2.5 ghz. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 400 FSB Barton at 2.4 Ghz...3400+ (?) Does anyone think AMD will be able to approach 3 GHZ with Barton? Because a 3.0 GHZ Barton on a 400 FSB would probably be about a 4000+.

I'm trying to remember the article I read that suggested Barton will be AMD's high-end 32-bit processor even after Athlon-64 is released. Does anyone else remember reading that, or did I see it here on the forum somewhere?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 02/28/03 03:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I am worried with mobos. Are there any mobo ready tu run at 400 FSB syncro? I don't think so, spacially with all DIMMs populated (or at least two)

Mass production of 400FSB mobos is different from some mobos hand tweaked by overclockers to run at those speeds or even more ... I don't think people will be happy with its new nForce2 just to see they can't run new Barton generation.

About the % gain ... well, 10% if really optimistic from my point of view. Let's say 5% and I'm ok.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hey, I click on your link and only a blank page appear. What's wrong? Is there something I missed?

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

wurrmm

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
nForce2 boards support 400mhz fsb

One mans throw-away is another mans god-box. Help friends in need, I always do!!
Then again, having extra parts are great for making dedicated servers for LAN parties!!!!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
My outdated IWILL XP333-R is running 200mhz fsb right now, I don't see why a newer mobo such as a NF2 mobo will have any problems. As long as the ram is up to spec it should be easy.

hmmm, I wonder if my antique mobo will run a Barton :smile: ?

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Yup. If you read my second post on this thread I mentioned that's why I think AMD *needs* to ramp up the clock and the FSB. A 3.6ghz P4 at 800 FSB should be pretty freakin awesome. I'm really considering buying a Canterbury (is that the name?) board and 3.6 when it hits the market. I just can't imagine AMD being able to match the performance, unless AMD has another 500 Mhz hidden up their arse to ramp up the Barton to a 2.6 or 2.8 ghz on 400 FSB.

Twitch your right. I'm going to upgrade my computer in April. P4 3.06 and 2.8 should be at the price I want to buy them at. I'll wait till next year or so to buy whatever is out by than. AMD is to slow with the speed of their chips.

wurrmm

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
Doubt it.

One mans throw-away is another mans god-box. Help friends in need, I always do!!
Then again, having extra parts are great for making dedicated servers for LAN parties!!!!

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Officially the KT333 will not support 400 mHz FSB. Unofficially it should work with overclocking.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.