Need Vista?windos 7 Driver for Epson 580 color stylus printer

G

Need a Epson stylus 580 vista/windows 7 driver? Epson doesn't list one. It's a cheap printer but it works well for my limited needs so I hate to throw it out,

Oh one question: if I have to buy a another one (printer) what's a good brand? I don't print a lot and the ink drying out or being used for cleaning process has made it kind of expensive. Every printer I've seen that I might be interested then checked out seems to always have a lot of complaints and usually it's some type of ink issue. It seem the companies are selling the printer cheap and making their $ on the ink. Anyone with any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

TheViper

Distinguished
Looks like they stopped writing drivers for it back in 2001.

If the default Windows driver doesn't do the job for you then you'll likely need a new one. I've used a few different brands and kinda like Brother printers.

And you are correct about the unit to ink price conspiracy. They undersell the printers and make up the difference with the ink. Same model as shaving razors and blades. They sell the razors for dirt cheap but mark up the blades a lot. Same most game consoles. They sell the unit at a loss and make up the difference in software.

G

Thanks anyway. I just put together a new computer and decided to see how 64bit Vista acted. I was running xp and the printer worked fine. I don't see much of improvement, maybe rather than buy a new printer I'll reinstall XP until I see a real good deal on a printer.

I looked at several printers already. I ignore the positive reviews since I believe the manufacturer probably writes half of them and base my decision on the negative ones. When people complain it usually because they got screwed. Curiously almost every model I checked out the reviews on had someone really unhappy with it and it's usually the ink usage. I probably print 5-8 pages a month and it seems I am always buying ink cartridges. I like the convenience but I am seriously thinking about going to Kinko's or something. Oh well....

marada

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I have just got my very old epson stylus 830 working in windows 7 64bit (without offical Epson drivers). You might want to look at my thread to see how I did it.

Thanks Dave