Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 64-A bit weird don't you think?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2003 9:01:47 PM

So we learn today that the barton is set to get a revised 200/400MHz fsb version in may- a not entirely surprising announcement.This new creature will seemingly be recommended to be used with dual channel ddr 400.
Am i the only one, then, who finds it a little odd that the next generation of amd x86 processors, Athlon 64, will debut with a mere 166/333MHz fsb, to be used with dual channel ddr 333?
I understand that amd is pushing the fact that it is abandoning the idea of frequency-dependent performance, since the Athlon 64s will be relatively low in terms of MHz rating, but this still seems a little odd.Surely the step back in memory/bus speed will make a difference?Even if the performance is not hit on real terms (we shall wait and see), such a move makes for bad PR.Most people (i.e.the mass consumers) still judge performance on frequency numbers alone so they certainly will see this as being a regression, even if they accept the PR ratings of the Athlon 64s (this is not at issue here but feel free to make any points relating to it).The fact is, some will think 'Am I to UPgrade my ddr 400 memory to ddr 333?'.
With this in mind, i would be inclined to believe that amd could delay the athlon 64 again to release it originally with a 400 fsb and ddr 400 support.I 'would' be inclined to think that way, were it not for the fact that 1.AMD knows that a further delay will massively hit the interest in the Athlon 64, and 2.AMD daren't ask the third party motherboard producers to overhaul their socket 754 designs for a 400 fsb, for fear of losing their support.
So, what do you guys think regarding this issue?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

More about : athlon bit weird

February 28, 2003 2:38:17 AM

Most consumers aren't even aware of memory speed let along an "FSB" so I think their marketing department's clear in the go.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
!