Unwanted window opening during start-up

How can I stop the window with the address of C://programfiles//dell from
opening when I either reboot the computer or logon as a user. This just
started happening yesterday and I'm not sure why. It has a folder in it
called AOLIcon which is empty and I don't see it in the startup folder.
--
limodude1

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

When this type of thing occurs it is almost always an erroneous entry in one
of the Run registry keys. Find that entry and delete it.

-Frank

"limodude1" <limodude1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I stop the window with the address of C://programfiles//dell from
> opening when I either reboot the computer or logon as a user. This just
> started happening yesterday and I'm not sure why. It has a folder in it
> called AOLIcon which is empty and I don't see it in the startup folder.
> --
> limodude1

kelly

You are looking for a listing that uses a long file name/path with spaces in
it, that is not enclosed in quotes. If found that is the culprit. To check
go to: Start/Run/Regedit:

Look here for the program/folder in question. If listed, double click the
entry and put the full path name in quotes. And Verify that all the values
in these keys do not contain any incorrect, incomplete, or null entries
(such as "").

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"limodude1" <limodude1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I stop the window with the address of C://programfiles//dell from
> opening when I either reboot the computer or logon as a user. This just
> started happening yesterday and I'm not sure why. It has a folder in it
> called AOLIcon which is empty and I don't see it in the startup folder.
> --
> limodude1

Kelly, I followed all your instructions but I did not find the file
name/path. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply.
--
limodude1

limodude1 wrote:

> Kelly, I followed all your instructions but I did not find the file
> name/path. Do you have any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks for the reply.
Hi,

See if you can see something with C:\programfiles\dell in it in the
list produced by Sysinternal's Autoruns:

http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/autoruns.html

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: