Solved

IONs and ATOMs

I need a laptop in the price range of $400-$500..It must have the following specs:

1.Intel Atom 230 or better (the processor should have EM64 technology)
2.Nvidia Ion graphics.
3.At least 1Gb DDr2 or better.


Do not forget the price range.
Do not bother about screen size,battery life,web cam,weight,looks etc...


Please reply!!! :p
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ions atoms
  1. Atom and Ion would be a netbook - not a laptop.
    Do you need a laptop or would a netbook be enough computing power for you?


    ASUS Eee PC 1201N 330 dual core ION 2GB RAM & Win7 $500 EM64 and Hyperthreading
  2. This is about the only one I could find that has everything you wanted:
    Asus EePC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220659
  3. WR2 said:
    Atom and Ion would be a netbook - not a laptop.
    Do you need a laptop or would a netbook be enough computing power for you?


    ASUS Eee PC 1201N 330 dual core ION 2GB RAM & Win7 $500 EM64 and Hyperthreading


    Well I do not really bother whether its a netbook or laptop as long as it serves my purpose...I usually run application like 3DS Max,Maya,Auto CAD,Visual C++ and few lightweight games(eg Gears of war,fear2,UT3) at lowest settigs..
  4. sayantan said:
    Well I do not really bother whether its a netbook or laptop as long as it serves my purpose...I usually run application like 3DS Max,Maya,Auto CAD,Visual C++ and few lightweight games(eg Gears of war,fear2,UT3) at lowest settigs..


    I dunno. Atoms are very underpowered, even the dual core one both WR2 and myself linked to. You'd almost be better finding a 13.3'' ultraportable with a low-voltage Core2Duo in it instead.
  5. sayantan said:
    as long as it serves my purpose
    I think you'd be very unhappy trying to run 3DS Max, Maya, and Auto CAD on a netbook.

  6. WR2 said:
    I think you'd be very unhappy trying to run 3DS Max, Maya, and Auto CAD on a netbook.

    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/intelpinetrail_122009194423/20944.png


    yeah, that was kinda my point. If he needs the battery savings of a netbook, he should look into a CULV Core2Duo based laptop. He'd get the benefit of having a stronger dual core CPU and still being able to get good battery life out of it. That's probably going to cost a bit more though.
  7. lostandwandering said:
    yeah, that was kinda my point. If he needs the battery savings of a netbook, he should look into a CULV Core2Duo based laptop. He'd get the benefit of having a stronger dual core CPU and still being able to get good battery life out of it. That's probably going to cost a bit more though.



    Maybe you guys are right ....Then please suggest something which fits into my budget and serves my purpose...
    I thought Nvidia ions and intel atoms would be more than enough to run those applications but I'm greatly shocked by those benchmarks...So I give you guys a pass to change everything except the budget!!Hope you can find something better!!
  8. For that budget I would say go on eBay and go with something that has a mobile 8600 or 3650. Of course at that price range it may not come with an HD or much RAM, but you may be able to pull off something with decent cosmetic condition, will POST, and has a good working screen.
  9. Best answer
    Examples in your budget range compared:
    Acer Aspire Timeline AS4810TZ-4696: Single core SU2700 CULV CPU,3GB RAM & GMA 4500MHD graphics.
    Acer Aspire AS4530-6823: AMD Athlon X2 QL-62(2GHz) dual core CPU, 3GB RAM and GeForce 9100M graphics
    Acer Aspire AS5536-5142: Athlon X2 QL-65(2.10GHz), 4GB RAM and Radeon HD 3200 graphics
    TOSHIBA Satellite L515-S4960 C2 Pentium dual-core T4300(2.1GHz) CPU, 3GB RAM and GMA 4500M graphics.

    Acer Aspire Timeline would be best compared to the Atom single and dual core netbooks. Passmark CPU benchmark score of the SU2700 is 438. Atom 270 is 304 and Atom 330 is 624. You'd need to step up to dual-core CULV SU3700 with Passmark CPU benchmark score of 1002 to pass the ASUS Eee PC 1201N 330 dual core ION.

    Toshiba Satellite L515 definitely has the best application performance (3DS Max,Maya,Auto CAD) but is weak in graphics/gaming. Passmark CPU benchmark score of the Pentium T4300 is > 1240 .

    Acer Aspire AS5536 with that dual core QL-65, 4GB RAM and Radeon HD 3200 looks to be the best fit for your budget and what you want to do. Passmark CPU benchmark score of the QL-65 is 1076
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops