XPS D300 Won't power on

jeff

My old XPS D300 won't turn on. Never had any problem, still original
everything except Win98. Does it sound like the power supply? When you
push the power button nothing happens. If it is the power supply do I have
to buy a Dell or is there another one? Thanks Jeff

Does that thing have a reset button on the back, near the power switch? If
you push the power button, assuming the unit is plugged into a working
receptacle, and nothing happens, you need a new power supply. But, to be
sure, test the one in the system with a circuit tester. You can order a
power supply from Dell or do some old-fashioned phone calling to confirm
that a unit other than a Dell power supply will work in your system.

"Jeff" <Jeff@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My old XPS D300 won't turn on. Never had any problem, still original
> everything except Win98. Does it sound like the power supply? When you
> push the power button nothing happens. If it is the power supply do I
have
> to buy a Dell or is there another one? Thanks Jeff

Doubtful that anything but a Dell-branded power supply would work. The XPS D300
is from the P2-P3 epoch when Dell made ATX-like systems. Motherboard and power
supply looked exactly like ATX, but the wiring from power supply to the
motherboard connector was/is different.

Also doubtful that Dell stocks power supplies for systems made in 1997 or 1998.
The OP is much more likely to find one at a local all-purpose computer store or
on eBay, for very short money either way... Ben Myers

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:03:13 -0700, "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does that thing have a reset button on the back, near the power switch? If
>you push the power button, assuming the unit is plugged into a working
>receptacle, and nothing happens, you need a new power supply. But, to be
>sure, test the one in the system with a circuit tester. You can order a
>power supply from Dell or do some old-fashioned phone calling to confirm
>that a unit other than a Dell power supply will work in your system.
>
>"Jeff" <Jeff@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> My old XPS D300 won't turn on. Never had any problem, still original
>> everything except Win98. Does it sound like the power supply? When you
>> push the power button nothing happens. If it is the power supply do I
>have
>> to buy a Dell or is there another one? Thanks Jeff

jeff

Thanks I will check around to see who stocks one. Jeff

> Doubtful that anything but a Dell-branded power supply would work. The
> XPS D300
> is from the P2-P3 epoch when Dell made ATX-like systems. Motherboard and
> power
> supply looked exactly like ATX, but the wiring from power supply to the
> motherboard connector was/is different.
>
> Also doubtful that Dell stocks power supplies for systems made in 1997 or
> 1998.
> The OP is much more likely to find one at a local all-purpose computer
> store or
> on eBay, for very short money either way... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:03:13 -0700, "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Does that thing have a reset button on the back, near the power switch?
>>If
>>you push the power button, assuming the unit is plugged into a working
>>receptacle, and nothing happens, you need a new power supply. But, to be
>>sure, test the one in the system with a circuit tester. You can order a
>>power supply from Dell or do some old-fashioned phone calling to confirm
>>that a unit other than a Dell power supply will work in your system.
>>
>>"Jeff" <Jeff@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> My old XPS D300 won't turn on. Never had any problem, still original
>>> everything except Win98. Does it sound like the power supply? When you
>>> push the power button nothing happens. If it is the power supply do I
>>have
>>> to buy a Dell or is there another one? Thanks Jeff

jeff

Update Dell still does stock it. Jeff