Sign in with
Your question

Stand by/Suspend mode question

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 21, 2002 8:11:13 PM

Does anyone know if it's possible to set it so that the computer will leave suspend mode only after pressing a key on the keyboard? My computer always leaves suspend mode because a slight vibration moves the mouse, waking the computer up. Also, is it possible to download files off the Internet while in suspend mode? Finally, is it a good idea to turn the cpu fan off while in suspend mode? I believe I saw that option in my system BIOS. Thanks, I appreciate any answers you can give me.
August 21, 2002 11:24:41 PM

We had a machine on the workbench here that would turn off the CPU fan while in suspend mode, and the CPU stayed very cool.

As for the mouse, if I know I want it to go into standby and don't want it to come out, I usually flip it over.
August 22, 2002 4:52:51 AM

After trying it, I'm going to leave the CPU fan on because there seemed to be almost no drop in fan noise. I think I have 4 other fans connected to the PSU and not the mobo, so one fan didn't really make a difference. :(  Do you know a way to turn them all off when in stand by?

Yea, I used to turn the mouse over too, but the computer always would wake up all of a sudden. Right now, I take the ball out of the mouse and move away from my desk very carefully when going into stand by. :) 

Oh, and it's not possible to download when in stand by correct? I'm assuming but just want to make sure.
August 22, 2002 5:42:57 AM

If you were to get a splitter for the one off the motherboard and adapters you could run all the fans off that one connector. Not sure if it is made to handle that many fans though.

The power supply we were using had an optional connector from the fan to the motherboard, if yours doesn't you would have to open it up and solder one on. (which you probably don't want to do)

And yeah, you probably can't even get it to go into standby if something is downloading, or it will stop the download.
!