One-click set up of expanded explorer folders in both panes

August 9, 2005 3:11:01 AM

I would like to be able to use either My Computer or Explorer (with necessary
switches) so as to be able to get a 2-pane display with the following:

In the left pane, at the top would be Desktop, which would have Mycomputer
under it, which would have a:, C; D: and E; under it. I would like the C:
drive to be expanded (still in the left pane) so as to show the folders under
it.

In the right pane, I'd like to see the folders that are on the C: drive.

Currently, I use the My Computer command, with the Target specified as
%windir%\Explorer.exe /e, /select,C:\ . If I then click on "Local Disk (C)"
(but not the plus sign next to it), I get what I want.

I realize that it is petty that I should want to eliminate one click, but I
was able to do this just fine in WIn98, and it is annoying that I can't do it
in XP.

TIA.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:10:54 PM

Is this what you need?

%windir%\Explorer.exe /e,C:\

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"bearspa" <bearspa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to be able to use either My Computer or Explorer (with
>necessary
> switches) so as to be able to get a 2-pane display with the following:
>
> In the left pane, at the top would be Desktop, which would have Mycomputer
> under it, which would have a:, C; D: and E; under it. I would like the C:
> drive to be expanded (still in the left pane) so as to show the folders
> under
> it.
>
> In the right pane, I'd like to see the folders that are on the C: drive.
>
> Currently, I use the My Computer command, with the Target specified as
> %windir%\Explorer.exe /e, /select,C:\ . If I then click on "Local Disk
> (C)"
> (but not the plus sign next to it), I get what I want.
>
> I realize that it is petty that I should want to eliminate one click, but
> was able to do this just fine in WIn98, and it is annoying that I can't do
> it
> in XP.
>
> TIA.
August 9, 2005 7:10:55 PM

Hi Ramesh:

Not quite. The command you suggested does what I need, except that it does
not open the C:\ drive in the left pane also---in fact, there is no "+" next
to it either, so to expand the folders in the left pane becomes a fairly
convoluted process.

What I need is what your command did, except that, in addition to what
currently is in the left pane, I also want the C: drive to have its folders
open under it in the left pane.

Hope that's clearer than mud! :-)

Dinyar

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Is this what you need?
>
> %windir%\Explorer.exe /e,C:\
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "bearspa" <bearspa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to be able to use either My Computer or Explorer (with
> >necessary
> > switches) so as to be able to get a 2-pane display with the following:
> >
> > In the left pane, at the top would be Desktop, which would have Mycomputer
> > under it, which would have a:, C; D: and E; under it. I would like the C:
> > drive to be expanded (still in the left pane) so as to show the folders
> > under
> > it.
> >
> > In the right pane, I'd like to see the folders that are on the C: drive.
> >
> > Currently, I use the My Computer command, with the Target specified as
> > %windir%\Explorer.exe /e, /select,C:\ . If I then click on "Local Disk
> > (C)"
> > (but not the plus sign next to it), I get what I want.
> >
> > I realize that it is petty that I should want to eliminate one click, but
> > was able to do this just fine in WIn98, and it is annoying that I can't do
> > it
> > in XP.
> >
> > TIA.

August 10, 2005 12:53:33 AM

Dinyar,

Interesting! The command-line that I posted works perfectly here and
accomplishes the required task (expands the folder tree and displays the
contents in the right pane.). The (+) sign is visible as well. The problem
you're facing has been asked so many times in this newsgroups, without a
solution yet.

Explorer tree - (+) sign missing
http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windo...

> Hi Ramesh:
>
> Not quite. The command you suggested does what I need, except that it
> does
> not open the C:\ drive in the left pane also---in fact, there is no "+"
> next
> to it either, so to expand the folders in the left pane becomes a fairly
> convoluted process.
>
> What I need is what your command did, except that, in addition to what
> currently is in the left pane, I also want the C: drive to have its
> folders
> open under it in the left pane.
>
> Hope that's clearer than mud! :-)
>
> Dinyar
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Is this what you need?
>>
>> %windir%\Explorer.exe /e,C:\
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "bearspa" <bearspa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I would like to be able to use either My Computer or Explorer (with
>> >necessary
>> > switches) so as to be able to get a 2-pane display with the following:
>> >
>> > In the left pane, at the top would be Desktop, which would have
>> > Mycomputer
>> > under it, which would have a:, C; D: and E; under it. I would like the
>> > C:
>> > drive to be expanded (still in the left pane) so as to show the folders
>> > under
>> > it.
>> >
>> > In the right pane, I'd like to see the folders that are on the C:
>> > drive.
>> >
>> > Currently, I use the My Computer command, with the Target specified as
>> > %windir%\Explorer.exe /e, /select,C:\ . If I then click on "Local
>> > Disk
>> > (C)"
>> > (but not the plus sign next to it), I get what I want.
>> >
>> > I realize that it is petty that I should want to eliminate one click,
>> > but
>> > was able to do this just fine in WIn98, and it is annoying that I can't
>> > do
>> > it
>> > in XP.
>> >
>> > TIA.

August 10, 2005 12:53:34 AM

Ramesh:

I double-checked by running the command again (and variations of it), but no
luck, The left pane stubbornly shows the C: drive sitting forlornly without
either a plus or minus sign next to it! If your machine shows the C: folders
in the left pane also, then it must be a switch or a line in the Registry
somewhere!

I had seen the prior threads, here as well as on other boards, and they had
ended with the suggestion you made, but it is not what I want.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Dinyar,
>
> Interesting! The command-line that I posted works perfectly here and
> accomplishes the required task (expands the folder tree and displays the
> contents in the right pane.). The (+) sign is visible as well. The problem
> you're facing has been asked so many times in this newsgroups, without a
> solution yet.
>
> Explorer tree - (+) sign missing
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windo...
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windo...
>

> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "bearspa" <bearspa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Ramesh:
> >
> > Not quite. The command you suggested does what I need, except that it
> > does
> > not open the C:\ drive in the left pane also---in fact, there is no "+"
> > next
> > to it either, so to expand the folders in the left pane becomes a fairly
> > convoluted process.
> >
> > What I need is what your command did, except that, in addition to what
> > currently is in the left pane, I also want the C: drive to have its
> > folders
> > open under it in the left pane.
> >
> > Hope that's clearer than mud! :-)
> >
> > Dinyar
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Is this what you need?
> >>
> >> %windir%\Explorer.exe /e,C:\
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "bearspa" <bearspa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:21:21 AM

Will look into this problem.

>> I had seen the prior threads, here as well as on other boards, and they
>> had ended with the suggestion you made, but it is not what I want.

Like I said "The problem you're facing has been asked so many times in this

> Ramesh:
>
> I double-checked by running the command again (and variations of it), but
> no
> luck, The left pane stubbornly shows the C: drive sitting forlornly
> without
> either a plus or minus sign next to it! If your machine shows the C:
> folders
> in the left pane also, then it must be a switch or a line in the Registry
> somewhere!
>
> I had seen the prior threads, here as well as on other boards, and they
> had
> ended with the suggestion you made, but it is not what I want.
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Dinyar,
>>
>> Interesting! The command-line that I posted works perfectly here and
>> accomplishes the required task (expands the folder tree and displays the
>> contents in the right pane.). The (+) sign is visible as well. The
>> problem
>> you're facing has been asked so many times in this newsgroups, without a
>> solution yet.
>>
>> Explorer tree - (+) sign missing
>> http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windo...
>> http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windo...
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "bearspa" <bearspa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Ramesh:
>> >
>> > Not quite. The command you suggested does what I need, except that it
>> > does
>> > not open the C:\ drive in the left pane also---in fact, there is no "+"
>> > next
>> > to it either, so to expand the folders in the left pane becomes a
>> > fairly
>> > convoluted process.
>> >
>> > What I need is what your command did, except that, in addition to what
>> > currently is in the left pane, I also want the C: drive to have its
>> > folders
>> > open under it in the left pane.
>> >
>> > Hope that's clearer than mud! :-)
>> >
>> > Dinyar

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:10:25 AM

Dinyar,

Not sure if you're still monitoring this thread. I just found the reason why
the (+) sign does not appear, and the selected folder/drive don't expand in
the left pane. This is due to a 100 sub-folders limit (undocumented).

These two postings from Bill Drake should help:

http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windo...
http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windo...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP