FS: First 5 WPC MPU Rottendog Boards

The board house sent me in my first piece evaluation units of our WPC089 MPU
board. Everything seems to be working well (after adding two small
modifications), believe it or not. Tested in my TZ and a FH to verify that
both ROM size sets work. Have not tested anything but English language
setting.

Looking to release 5 of these at a lower price than I need to get for the
remaining units. All I ask for the reduced price is that you try them out
quickly and respond back to me & or the group with your results /
impressions.

OK, let's start with a picture of the base unit:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rottendog/Misc/WPC089.jpg

As you can see, the base unit does NOT come with the ASIC, EPROM or CPU.
The price I need for each of the boards is $115. This is NOT going to be
the normal selling price for these boards. This price includes shipping to
continental US via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation.

I can add any / all of the three missing components at the following price:

ASIC - $30
EPROM - $5 (Tell me the game / version)
68B09E CPU - $8
PayPal - Add 3% of total cost

If you are interested, please verify that a board is available BEFORE
sending money! In the unlikely event that more than 5 people are
interested, will more than likely use a first-come, first-served selection
method.

Remove NOSPAM from direct email responses.

Jim Knight
734 330 5543

PS My surface mount flame suit is officially turned on!

Theres nothing wrong with surface mount. It's how the industry works
these days, and the reason why it's gotten so cheap to manufacture
boards.

For full up production, it's all done with a "pick and place" machine.
The board has a solder mask on it typically. Components with solder
paste are placed by a robotic arm on the board. They then hit the
board with infrared heat and voila, they solder themselves down.

h_h

What will be the price for the production units?

I like the remote battery holder, and would be interested in at least 1
for a spare.

-c

If this works out, the WPC95 board would probably make sense. I don't think
the WPC-S version would make sense as there were so few games that used it.

Thanks for asking.

Jim Knight

Chris Lyon wrote:

>Theres nothing wrong with surface mount. It's how the industry works
>these days, and the reason why it's gotten so cheap to manufacture
>boards.

I'd love to see how boards like these are physically produced. Hundreds
of little parts have to be be precisely placed and soldered. The
process must be largely automated.

Rick Swanson

All 5 sold.

Can't wait to get the feedback!

Jim Knight
"Jim Knight" <rottendog@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
> The board house sent me in my first piece evaluation units of our WPC089
> MPU
> board. Everything seems to be working well (after adding two small
> modifications), believe it or not. Tested in my TZ and a FH to verify
> that
> both ROM size sets work. Have not tested anything but English language
> setting.
>
> Looking to release 5 of these at a lower price than I need to get for the
> remaining units. All I ask for the reduced price is that you try them out
> quickly and respond back to me & or the group with your results /
> impressions.
>
> OK, let's start with a picture of the base unit:
>
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rottendog/Misc/WPC089.jpg
>
> As you can see, the base unit does NOT come with the ASIC, EPROM or CPU.
> The price I need for each of the boards is $115. This is NOT going to be
> the normal selling price for these boards. This price includes shipping
> continental US via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation.
>
> I can add any / all of the three missing components at the following
> price:
>
> ASIC - $30
> EPROM - $5 (Tell me the game / version)
> 68B09E CPU - $8
> PayPal - Add 3% of total cost
>
> If you are interested, please verify that a board is available BEFORE
> sending money! In the unlikely event that more than 5 people are
> interested, will more than likely use a first-come, first-served selection
> method.
>
> Remove NOSPAM from direct email responses.
>
> Jim Knight
> 734 330 5543
>
> PS My surface mount flame suit is officially turned on!

OMG!!! An option for newer model boards. That's fantastic!

Jim Knight wrote:
> The board house sent me in my first piece evaluation units of our WPC089 MPU
> board. Everything seems to be working well (after adding two small
> modifications), believe it or not. Tested in my TZ and a FH to verify that
> both ROM size sets work. Have not tested anything but English language
> setting.
>
> Looking to release 5 of these at a lower price than I need to get for the
> remaining units. All I ask for the reduced price is that you try them out
> quickly and respond back to me & or the group with your results /
> impressions.
>
> OK, let's start with a picture of the base unit:
>
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rottendog/Misc/WPC089.jpg
>
> As you can see, the base unit does NOT come with the ASIC, EPROM or CPU.
> The price I need for each of the boards is $115. This is NOT going to be
> the normal selling price for these boards. This price includes shipping to
> continental US via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation.
>
> I can add any / all of the three missing components at the following price:
>
> ASIC - $30
> EPROM - $5 (Tell me the game / version)
> 68B09E CPU - $8
> PayPal - Add 3% of total cost
>
> If you are interested, please verify that a board is available BEFORE
> sending money! In the unlikely event that more than 5 people are
> interested, will more than likely use a first-come, first-served selection
> method.
>
> Remove NOSPAM from direct email responses.
>
> Jim Knight
> 734 330 5543
>
> PS My surface mount flame suit is officially turned on!

Where are you? If you're near Boston I could probably bring you to one
of the factories doing my boards.

Solder paste is silkscreened onto the board. It is sticky-ish. The
PNP machines use little vacuum heads to pick up parts. They then
optically look for the pads, and perform any rotation necessary before
sticking it down. The PNP machine doing my boards right now has 12
heads in it for massive throughput. After placement, they run through
the oven. It's usually convection, not IR. About 15 feet long, with a
carefully chosen temp profile to bring solder paste just to the point
of reflow. After that, if needed the second side is populated and run
through another SMT oven. Heavy parts go on the second side, so that
they will not fall off on the second oven pass. After that, the boards
go through an AOI, automated optical inspection, which uses a flying
micro camera to ensure that the polarity is right on every part, the
packages have the right markings, and that solder joints are good.
After that, it goes through the washing machine, which is about a 20
foot long power washer. Then it goes to test/rework as needed. The
end. I've got pictures of the whole process if you'd like to see.

> All 5 sold.

In just under 2 1/2 hours. This just goes to show that there IS a
market for new-manufacture boards. I bet you will sell your first
production batch just as fast.

Barry - NY

Chris Lyon wrote:

> Solder paste is silkscreened onto the board. It is sticky-ish. The
> PNP machines use little vacuum heads to pick up parts. They then
> optically look for the pads, and perform any rotation necessary before
> sticking it down. The PNP machine doing my boards right now has 12
> heads in it for massive throughput. After placement, they run through
> the oven. It's usually convection, not IR. About 15 feet long, with a
> carefully chosen temp profile to bring solder paste just to the point
> of reflow. After that, if needed the second side is populated and run
> through another SMT oven. Heavy parts go on the second side, so that
> they will not fall off on the second oven pass. After that, the boards
> go through an AOI, automated optical inspection, which uses a flying
> micro camera to ensure that the polarity is right on every part, the
> packages have the right markings, and that solder joints are good.
> After that, it goes through the washing machine, which is about a 20
> foot long power washer. Then it goes to test/rework as needed. The
> end. I've got pictures of the whole process if you'd like to see.

Yep, I'd really like to see that process.

Rick Swanson

The board house has yet to quote the 2 "small mods" to the boards. Hoping
to keep it under $135

"CraigC -Chicago-" <pinball@chicagohardcore.net> wrote in message
> What will be the price for the production units?
>
> I like the remote battery holder, and would be interested in at least 1
> for a spare.
>
> -c

woz

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

> If this works out, the WPC95 board would probably make sense. I don't
think
> the WPC-S version would make sense as there were so few games that used
it.

> Thanks for asking.

A quick search on production totals from IPDB shows the following:

WPC-S 54,266
WPC-95 36,497

Woz

hummm.....

Thanks Woz. Once again, thinking from my heart and not from my brain.

Jim Knight

"Woz" <adara_wmNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Jim Knight" <rottendog@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> If this works out, the WPC95 board would probably make sense. I don't
> think
>> the WPC-S version would make sense as there were so few games that used
> it.
>>
>> Thanks for asking.
>
> A quick search on production totals from IPDB shows the following:
>
> WPC-S 54,266
> WPC-95 36,497
>
> Woz

Heh. ('Throwaway' boards....)