Is it possible to install XP on a RAID?

Hi,

I'm trying to install XP on a RAID0 array and, when rebooting XP for
the GUI installation after the text-mode installation, I received the
following error message (translated from Spanish so I do not know the
exact wording in English):

Error reading disc
Pulse Ctrl+Alt+Supr to reboot

The first phase of the installation, in text mode, works all right.
I use F6 to give the RAID drivers (INtel Chipset) on a floppy disk, the
RAID partition, already formatted under NTFS, is detected, I choose
this partition as the one to be used to install XP and the installation
programa begins to copy the files. Everything all right and no error
message until the automatic reboot to begin the GUI phase of the
installation. It gives me the error message after rebooting.

The mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP. The hard disks are both
Seagate ST3120026AS connected to first Serial ATA plugs, the ones
controlled by the Intel buit-in RAID controller ICH5R.

Has somebody any idea of what can be happening and how to solve it?

Thanks and bye.

--
El Guerrero del Interfaz
8 answers Last reply

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers ha escrito:

    > Hi,
    >
    > No reason it can't be installed on a RAID0 array if the proper driver
    > support is installed. You mention that the RAID volume is already formatted
    > NTFS - How was this done?

    Using XP on the same computer with XP installed on another disk.

    > WinXP is particularly finicky about the
    > installation volume, and likes to do the format itself during setup. If you
    > used a third party tool, try removing it and allowind XP setup to create the
    > partition and format it during setup.

    I've done it and the result is the same.
    The problem is that the RAID partition does not boot. I've tried
    with the Intel controller and the result was as described. I've tried
    it also with the SI controller and in this case the system does not
    halt but reboot itself. Do you know any way to check the boot sector to
    see if it's all right and fix it?

    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    Thanx

    --
    El Guerrero del Interfaz

    Uncle John ha escrito:

    > El.Guerrero del interfaz
    >
    > Hey, what a nickname!

    Actually I did not invent it. It as a friend from the FIDO days that
    gave it to me due to my dedication/obsession with user interface. It's
    based on the spanish Comic heroe "El Guerrero del Antifaz" (the masqued
    warrior).

    > Yes you can run XP on a RAID However I urge caution.
    > Although Windows XP is very reliable running in NTFS as you propose it does
    > sometimes crash. In my experience this can also crash the RAID and then you
    > have lost your whole system, OS, Applications and Data.Before relying on a
    > RAID make sure you have a backup which will restore your system to a blank
    > RAID if disaster strikes.

    Thanks for the advice but I really do not mind if I do not loose my
    Data. And that, I backup very often. I do it for speed as for now the
    HD is the worst bottleneck on my system. After all I'm getting in great
    pains reinstalling a perfectly running system to get that :-) And not
    succeeding :-(

    > Acronis True Image will do this but it is slow and for that reason I
    > abandoned RAID.
    >
    > Good luck with your and i would like to hear how it goes.

    Well, it seems that I'm not succeeding so I think that I will be
    forced to use a normal system disk to be able to boot and use the RAID
    for application and data, etc. Frustrating...

    Bye.

    > --
    > Uncle John

    Where's the band? ;-) (I'm a Deadhead)

    --
    El Guerrero del Interfaz

    Hi,

    No reason it can't be installed on a RAID0 array if the proper driver
    support is installed. You mention that the RAID volume is already formatted
    NTFS - How was this done? WinXP is particularly finicky about the

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    frodo@theshire.org ha escrito:

    > more info required please: chipset etc.
    >
    > You said "intel" in there someplace, so I'm ginna assume ICH5R or 7R.

    You're right: ICH5R, although I've also tried with the SI one. With
    the Intel I've got the message, with the SI, a reset. So in both cases
    it will not boot.

    > 1) Be sure bios (on OnChip IDE Device page) "on chip SATA setting" is
    > "raid", RAID Bios is "enabled", and OnChip SATA is in "Enhanced" mode.

    It is. Without that I would have not been able to create the RAID
    set. Everything is set as on the manual.

    > 2) Be sure bios (on Advanced BIOS Features page) has "hard disk boot
    > priority" option set to "add-in device", and "bootable add-in device" is
    > set to "on-chip SATA raid". Then set "harddisk" as first (or second) boot
    > device.

    It's not exactly worded like that but it's set like that. Boot on
    RAID and RAID boot priority set on the Intel controller.

    > 3) Define the RAID volume by rebooting and using the RAID BIOS (cntrl-I).

    I've done that.

    > Install XP, use f6, and give it the intel drivers floppy disk.

    And that.

    > That's it. If first boot device is CD, second is HD, you can boot to xp
    > install disk, and upon first reboot JUST LEAVE THE CD IN, xp setup will go
    > past it and boot the HD to finish the setup.

    Everything works all right during the "text mode" installation. The
    problem is when it reboots to begin the GUI based installation: then it
    cannot boot from the RAID array. Do you know of any free boot manager
    to work around this XP booting problem?

    Thanks and bye.

    --
    El Guerrero del Interfaz

    El.Guerrero del interfaz

    Hey, what a nickname! Yes you can run XP on a RAID However I urge caution.
    Although Windows XP is very reliable running in NTFS as you propose it does
    sometimes crash. In my experience this can also crash the RAID and then you
    have lost your whole system, OS, Applications and Data.Before relying on a
    RAID make sure you have a backup which will restore your system to a blank
    RAID if disaster strikes.

    Acronis True Image will do this but it is slow and for that reason I
    abandoned RAID.

    Good luck with your and i would like to hear how it goes.

    --
    Uncle John

    El.Guerrero.del.Interfaz
    You can check the boot sector using the Floppy from BootitNG (boot it next
    generation)

    www.terabyteunlimited.com/

    You can download a trial version and create a floppy which allows you to
    enter BootitNG's maintenance mode and inspect and repair the boot sector.

    However I think the trouble is more likely the hardware configuration and/or
    bios configuration of your RAID, particularly as you mention the RAID
    partition.

    How have you got the hardware configured.?

    BTW
    If you have not yet put any data into the proposed RAID and you are looking
    for a bigger apparent drive you could try Windows Active disk--
    Uncle John

    El Guerrero del Interfaz <El.Guerrero.del.Interfaz@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Everything works all right during the "text mode" installation. The
    > problem is when it reboots to begin the GUI based installation: then it
    > cannot boot from the RAID array. Do you know of any free boot manager
    > to work around this XP booting problem?

    Hum... sounds like you have done it all right. what version if IAAR are
    you using, 3.53 or the newer one? 3.53 is the last to work exclusively w/
    the ICH5R, later versions were for ICH7R, tho they were supposed to be
    backward compatable. FWIW, I use 3.53 and it has always worked fine,
    installed it MANY times on many different ICH5R boards, it's always
    worked w/o a hitch. Perhaps your floppy disk has a tiny flaw in its
    TXTSETUP.OEM file??

    Let us know the outcome...

NAS / RAID Windows XP