Win2k telnet server on WinNT?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Anyone had any success getting the Win2K telnet server to run on WindowsNT
4.0 (sp6). I've moved all the required files, set-up the registry etc but
find it hangs when I start the session (I logon fine but then no command
prompt comes up).

Anyone know a way around this (apart from purchasing a 3rd party telnet
server of course!).

Cheers,
Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote:

|>Paul D.Smith wrote:
|>> Anyone had any success getting the Win2K telnet server to run on
|>> WindowsNT
|>> 4.0 (sp6). I've moved all the required files, set-up the registry
|>> etc but find it hangs when I start the session (I logon fine but then
|>> no command prompt comes up).
|>>
|>> Anyone know a way around this (apart from purchasing a 3rd party
|>> telnet server of course!).

|>The resource kit for Windows NT server includes a Telnet server thats
|>actually designed to run with Windows NT, if I remember correctly.

Your right, there is a telnet install in the NT resource kit; the read
me file included mention's checking: ftp ntrk.microsoft.com\telnetd
for an update of the program.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Both correct, but the telnet server on the resource kit seems to be a beta
copy (unless you know of a later version) and it's as stable as a piece of
wet spaghetti.

Paul DS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> Yeah but I think you'll find its a far more productive avenue than
> transferring the W2K telnet service over to NT.
>
> Have you checked for an open source alternative, if you've got to do this
> for free?

Thanks for the suggestions. I was, of course, trying to get something for
nothing but at present I'm using a telnet server from GoodTech - costs a
small licence fee but good enough for what I need. However having had a
quick go at getting the Win2K server installed I was hoping someone else
might have tried this and been able to say "here's what you've missed" or
"give it up".

I've found the Win2K server to work very well (on Win2K!) which is why I was
trying that - oh, and I'm a tight wad who doesn't like spending money. ;-).

Cheers,
Paul DS