/ Sign-up
Your question

Need help with the name of this output

  • Speakers
  • Converter
  • Audio
Last response: in Home Audio
May 8, 2010 4:45:22 PM

Ok, i have some old speakers and i want to try and find a converter so i can use them on my pc and im not sure the name of the input/output, they have 2 wires comming out of each speaker, the output looks like the plugs in the bottom right of this picture...
If anyoen can tell me the name of this it would be much appreciated!

Thnx, Ryaz

More about : output

May 8, 2010 4:50:34 PM

those are standard typical spring-loaded connectors found on low to mid-range equipment.
May 8, 2010 4:54:08 PM

is it possible to buy a converter for them? so they can plug into my pc?
Related resources
May 9, 2010 6:20:34 AM

not easy, Radio Shack used to sell RCA patch wires that came with open end wiring, but you will need to have a 3.5mm stereo cable plug for the laptop and adapt that, the problem is that the wires in the 3.5mm and the RCA's connectors are quite small,-- on second thought Radio Shack might sell either RCA connector plates, all you need to do then is replace the spring locks on the cabinets and use 3.5mm stereo to RCA adapter cables, either way you get to do a little work
May 9, 2010 12:40:56 PM

also the 3/5mm jack would need to be split between 2 speakers using a 1 to 2 adapter or would i be able to use some of the other 3.5mm jacks in teh back of my pc?
May 9, 2010 1:43:52 PM

Or should i run them in series threw 1 jack?
May 9, 2010 1:54:52 PM

the 3.5mm stereo connectors are STEREO two connections(R+ & L+ ,and a common ground-, if you look closely at the 3.5mm connector the end is the common ground and the two insulated rings are R & L ), the RCA female adapters for the back of the speaker cabinets is the way to go, you can solder lage diameter wire to them and push some watts, sadly you really need an AMP, most some with RCA's in and out, the 3.5mm to RCA wire adapter would work fine, low power into the AMP and lots of watts out