Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Home PC affected by ads.alpha00001.com

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 17, 2012 2:22:48 PM

Guys my machine has been affected by a ads.alpha00001.com . Need some advice on removing this malware.
Quite often during browsing, another tab will open and lead to ads / offers. very disturbing.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 2:31:21 PM

boot into safe mode with networking

download, install, update, and run MalwareBytes

reboot
Share
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 5:16:41 PM

Hi :) 

And buy Norton 2013 and install it...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 10:31:21 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

And buy Norton 2013 and install it...

All the best Brett :) 

Is Norton good again?
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:39:55 PM

mi1ez said:
Is Norton good again?


It's a top 5 contender, during 2011 it was a top 3 contender. Their decision not to submit their product for 2012 testing at AV Comparatives raises some questions, the results at AV -TEST raises a few more, and they haven't submitted to VB100 for quite some time.
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 5:09:53 PM

mi1ez said:
Is Norton good again?



Hi :) 

Yes its the best by far...we see NOBODY with Norton AND viruses....but we see ALL the others...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 5:39:42 PM

Ahh the ramblings of a fanboi.
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 5:53:04 PM

Quote:
Ahh the ramblings of a fanboi.


Hi :) 

No...the TRUTH from a Computer company owner who runs shops that fix viruses.....

I have no interest in lying...if Mcafee was better and we saw no customers with it and viruses I would say so....

The same with any other AV product, we make money fixing the viruses, the product we put on afterwards to protect the customers machine is immaterial...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 6:16:20 PM

Perhaps then you should append your "best by far" claims with "in my opinion and/or experience" as it can be demonstrably shown that it is not.

In fact no AV product can shown to be "the best" because no product holds the top place time after time on the tests run by the comparative institutes.

What can be shown is that there are 5 or so products that consistently show high levels of protection, Norton being on of them. But to claim it is the best in view of evidence to the contrary is simply fallacious and not even a claim that Symantec make themselves.

With the others - Do you check they have up to date pattern files and detection engines or even up to date product versions? That they have not inadvertently turned off parts of the software? That they have renewed their subscription?

As a CIO I have to deal with the claims of salesman on a weekly basis, and it is hugely frustrating to see people make "best" claims when they are not.

I'll take your "shops owner" and raise you 3 security certifications, both vendor specific and vendor neutral.
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 7:42:25 PM

Quote:
Perhaps then you should append your "best by far" claims with "in my opinion and/or experience" as it can be demonstrably shown that it is not.

In fact no AV product can shown to be "the best" because no product holds the top place time after time on the tests run by the comparative institutes.

What can be shown is that there are 5 or so products that consistently show high levels of protection, Norton being on of them. But to claim it is the best in view of evidence to the contrary is simply fallacious and not even a claim that Symantec make themselves.

With the others - Do you check they have up to date pattern files and detection engines or even up to date product versions? That they have not inadvertently turned off parts of the software? That they have renewed their subscription?

As a CIO I have to deal with the claims of salesman on a weekly basis, and it is hugely frustrating to see people make "best" claims when they are not.

I'll take your "shops owner" and raise you 3 security certifications, both vendor specific and vendor neutral.



Hi :) 

How many viruses do YOU or those so called testers actually remove daily or weekly or yearly ??

I remove hundreds a year personally and so do others I employ....

So when I say Norton is the best, I have reasons for saying that....

The primary reason is that as long as its paid for , updated, and not expired, then we NEVER EVER see anyone come into the shops with viruses...and Norton...

And that is the ONLY AV product I can say that about...... we don't get many Mcafee infected machines, but we get some, we don't get many Mse but we get some.... etc etc

Unless you do this every day, its hard to understand why I like Norton.....

I like my customers to have Norton to protect them, particularly when they have had rubbish like AVG for example that allowed their machine to be infected....

Those customers will say things like..."well AVG has protected me for 3 years" and they are not lying, but they are looking at it in the wrong way....they were just lucky for those 3 years..... we get AT LEAST one avg infected machine in my shops DAILY....

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 8:29:31 PM

I remove very few, however that is because the network I administer has well designed multi layered security, from several different vendors and strict policies.

I remove no viruses on my own computers because they are not running vulnerability ridden MS operating systems.

As for the "so called testers", that is a rather silly remark to make. 1. They are highly regarded within the security industry for non biased product testing 2. The product vendors themselves regard them highly enough to submit their products, then wear any award they get like a badge of honour. The testers don't solely remove viruses, they install the products on identical already infected machines to judge the performance of the products in various tests for detection, removal, false positives etc.. Surely as someone in the security field you should know that, otherwise you would be criticising a testing procedure you knew nothing about, and you wouldn't do that would you?

I don't have an issue with you thinking it's the best, I have an issue with anyone who claims this or that is the best like they are the sole authority on the subject.
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 8:53:35 PM

Quote:


I don't have an issue with you thinking it's the best, I have an issue with anyone who claims this or that is the best like they are the sole authority on the subject.



Hi :) 

Oh I don't think I am an authority on this subject.....

I just give the "best advice" I can here at Toms..... the same as I do in my shops....

People can take or leave my advice, but at least I can sleep nights knowing I have been honest....

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 8:59:00 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Oh I don't think I am an authority on this subject.....

All the best Brett :) 


Well, some of your posts I have seen to do with AV products it certainly comes over that way.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 10:47:35 AM

I trust Brett from the many years and thousands of posts I have viewed and contributed to on Tom's over the years. Never read anything to suggest he's a fanboy of any specific products, in fact I seem to remember a time before he recommended Norton...
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 11:37:58 AM

mi1ez said:
I trust Brett from the many years and thousands of posts I have viewed and contributed to on Tom's over the years. Never read anything to suggest he's a fanboy of any specific products, in fact I seem to remember a time before he recommended Norton...


I most certainly am not suggesting Brett is untrustworthy , just a little biased when it comes to product recommendation in contrast to evidence to the contrary. His experience obviously tells him that Norton appears to be the best product, but that is in his experience. Sorry but I will take the data given by industry recognised institutes over personal recommendations every time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Norton is not a good product, it’s certainly in the top 5, as the data shows.

"many years"? Seems only to have been a member for 10 months or so.

I have seen a recommendation from Brett for Norton NIS 2012 on a Windows 2008 R2 server, sorry but you do not install consumer AV products designed for consumer PC/Workstations on a Windows server. It is unsupported by Symantec (if it would even install) Symantec Endpoint Security is used on Servers, if you want to go the Symantec route that is.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 1:20:52 PM

Best answer selected by barry_venom.
m
0
l
!