Video card install Dell L733r

Trying to install a 32mb PCI video card on an older Dell P3 733. No problem
using on board video but the system hangs at the Win2000 screen (loading
Windows 2000) when the new card is installed. Have gone into bios and
disabled on board and then tried with same result. Tried installing drivers
before putting card in and after with the same results. Any thoughts?
Tempted to scrape the drive and start over but would prefer not to.
Andy

<texaseitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Trying to install a 32mb PCI video card on an older Dell P3 733. No
> problem
> using on board video but the system hangs at the Win2000 screen (loading
> Windows 2000) when the new card is installed. Have gone into bios and
> disabled on board and then tried with same result. Tried installing
> drivers
> before putting card in and after with the same results. Any thoughts?
> Tempted to scrape the drive and start over but would prefer not to.
> Andy

You might try removing the onboard display adapter from device manager and
then powering down - then physically install the card, reboot into BIOS to
check your settings, then exit BIOS and F8 into safe mode to see if Win2K
auto-detects and installs the drivers you've already added from the CD.

I've done something generally similiar with non-integrated WinXP systems and
the added cards were found in safe mode after hitting desktop.

Rebooted into normal mode and done (and I didn't even remove the old card
from device manager first.....)

Of course, you may be stuck at the Win2K splash screen no matter and not be
able to get beyond.

Stew

Thanks! Will give that a shot tomorrow.
Andy