cannot hibernate

i recently formated my system and now when i press 'shift", the standby icon
do4es not change to hibetrnate. previously before formatting it was working
fine. also i bought a nvidia geforce fx 5200 graphics card before formating
and put it.
system config---intel pentium 4 1.7 ghz,intel 845wn motherboard,256mb
ram,40gb harddisk.please help me.

Is hibernate enabled? Right-click on the desktop, select properties, go to
screen saver tab, click power button, select hibernate tab and check if
hibernation is enabled.

"apoorva chandar" wrote:

> i recently formated my system and now when i press 'shift", the standby icon
> do4es not change to hibetrnate. previously before formatting it was working
> fine. also i bought a nvidia geforce fx 5200 graphics card before formating
> and put it.
> system config---intel pentium 4 1.7 ghz,intel 845wn motherboard,256mb
> ram,40gb harddisk.please help me.

I have had this problem several times in the past. Hibernation is
particularly finicky with video drivers. I'd suggest that you download the
latest, WHQL certified driver from www.nvidia.com. The reason for needing
the WHQL driver is that it's been certified to work with Windows by Microsoft.

If this doesn't solve it, post back and we'll go through some other steps.