450 Laptop System Board Battery (if it has one)

shooter

Does the 450 Laptop have a system board battery (Bios Backup battery)?
The reason I ask is…. I usually take my 450 main power battery out
when not using the laptop for a few days. Keeps it from dropping off
the top 15% of its available full power level when left in the laptop
for more than a couple of days without usage or hooked up to AC. Last
night I put the main battery in the laptop, after no usage for 2 days,
and it would not boot. It would stop at the GW Flash screen and not
go any further. Hitting F2 or Esc gave no results. So I decided to
try and boot with the recovery CD (the Red One) and the CD gave me the
usual boot options to go on and boot from the CD or boot into windows.
I chose to boot into windows and it booted just fine.

Hummm, I says to myself while rubbing by stubbled chin…. It never
asked me to enter the password I had told the bios setup to ask for
when booting up (Not the Windows Password, but the Bios Password).
That told me that the Bios had lost all its info which probably means,
lost its power. BTW, without taking the main battery out, the laptop
has booted up just fine ever since. But one test at taking the main
out for an hour brought me back to not boot except through use of the
restoration CD again.

My Bios is forgetting what planet it is on unless my main battery is
left in the laptop but I can not find anywhere in the manual that came
with the Laptop or on the GW site anything about a systems board
battery. Does this machine use a system board (Bios Backup) battery
and if so, where and how do I get to it to replace it?

If, of course, this is the root of the problem…..

Regards,

AFAIK all systems have a battery to maintain minimum power to maintain
the BIOS settings and clock. The next time you boot it using the recovery
CD, check the time. If it has reverted back to it's base time, it's the
battery. Cheap to replace, but a not always easy to get to on a laptop. If
you can open the case and see the mother board you'll be able to readily see
the battery. I forget the exact nomenclature, but let it suffice to say
that it's a big button type battery, about an inch and a quarter across.

KC

"Shooter" <fhasfdjh@AlkjdaF@com> wrote in message
> Does the 450 Laptop have a system board battery (Bios Backup battery)?
> The reason I ask is.. I usually take my 450 main power battery out
> when not using the laptop for a few days. Keeps it from dropping off
> the top 15% of its available full power level when left in the laptop
> for more than a couple of days without usage or hooked up to AC. Last
> night I put the main battery in the laptop, after no usage for 2 days,
> and it would not boot. It would stop at the GW Flash screen and not
> go any further. Hitting F2 or Esc gave no results. So I decided to
> try and boot with the recovery CD (the Red One) and the CD gave me the
> usual boot options to go on and boot from the CD or boot into windows.
> I chose to boot into windows and it booted just fine.
>
> Hummm, I says to myself while rubbing by stubbled chin.. It never
> asked me to enter the password I had told the bios setup to ask for
> when booting up (Not the Windows Password, but the Bios Password).
> That told me that the Bios had lost all its info which probably means,
> lost its power. BTW, without taking the main battery out, the laptop
> has booted up just fine ever since. But one test at taking the main
> out for an hour brought me back to not boot except through use of the
> restoration CD again.
>
> My Bios is forgetting what planet it is on unless my main battery is
> left in the laptop but I can not find anywhere in the manual that came
> with the Laptop or on the GW site anything about a systems board
> battery. Does this machine use a system board (Bios Backup) battery
> and if so, where and how do I get to it to replace it?
>
> If, of course, this is the root of the problem...
>
> Regards,

shooter

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:21:46 -0500, "Kevin Childers"
<wildthing123@charter.net> wrote:

>The next time you boot it using the recovery
>CD, check the time.

Time gets lost also but that would make sense being if there isn't
enough power to keep the bios alive then there wouldn't be enough to
keep the clock current.

Regards,

TRENDING THREADS