July updates

Can anyone explain why when I try to install the latest
downloads for the MN-700, the application software
installs but the runtime and boot firmware will not.
It gives a message that I need to have my ethernet cable
plugged into one of the numbered ports on the router even
though it is.

joker

It sounds like you are trying to install the firmware update via
wireless. This is a very bad idea. Microsoft had several MN-500s
damaged by allowing this to be done. All you need to do is connect to
the MN-700 via a cable to install the firmware update. The reason for
this is because wireless connections are to unstable to be able to do
this 100% of the time. This is Microsoft just making there routers more
ID10T resistant, as you can never make a product 100% ID10T proof, as
they will just make a better ID10T.

Mitch wrote:

> Can anyone explain why when I try to install the latest
> downloads for the MN-700, the application software
> installs but the runtime and boot firmware will not.
> It gives a message that I need to have my ethernet cable
> plugged into one of the numbered ports on the router even
> though it is.

joker

Sorry I missed the last sentence. I'm not sure what is the problem
then. You might try a power cycle. Just unplug the power for about 5
seconds on the MN-700 then try after it is back up. Another option is
do a factory reset.

joker wrote:

> It sounds like you are trying to install the firmware update via
> wireless. This is a very bad idea. Microsoft had several MN-500s
> damaged by allowing this to be done. All you need to do is connect to
> the MN-700 via a cable to install the firmware update. The reason for
> this is because wireless connections are to unstable to be able to do
> this 100% of the time. This is Microsoft just making there routers more
> ID10T resistant, as you can never make a product 100% ID10T proof, as
> they will just make a better ID10T.
>
> Mitch wrote:
>
>> Can anyone explain why when I try to install the latest downloads for
>> the MN-700, the application software installs but the runtime and
>> boot firmware will not. It gives a message that I need to have my
>> ethernet cable plugged into one of the numbered ports on the router
>> even though it is.

Another option, if pertinent, is to disable the wireless connection. This
will ensure that you are using the wired connection.

"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Sorry I missed the last sentence. I'm not sure what is the problem
> then. You might try a power cycle. Just unplug the power for about 5
> seconds on the MN-700 then try after it is back up. Another option is
> do a factory reset.
>
> joker wrote:
>
> > It sounds like you are trying to install the firmware update via
> > wireless. This is a very bad idea. Microsoft had several MN-500s
> > damaged by allowing this to be done. All you need to do is connect to
> > the MN-700 via a cable to install the firmware update. The reason for
> > this is because wireless connections are to unstable to be able to do
> > this 100% of the time. This is Microsoft just making there routers more
> > ID10T resistant, as you can never make a product 100% ID10T proof, as
> > they will just make a better ID10T.
> >
> > Mitch wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone explain why when I try to install the latest downloads for
> >> the MN-700, the application software installs but the runtime and
> >> boot firmware will not. It gives a message that I need to have my
> >> ethernet cable plugged into one of the numbered ports on the router
> >> even though it is.

No I am connected via the ethernet cable. The password I
am using is correct. I am able to sign in to the base
station with this password. Any ideas?

What does the error message say? If it says the password is incorrect, does
the password have any non-alphanumeric characters in it? If it does, this
might be the problem. Try changing the password to only alphanumeric to see
if that fixes the problem. If it does, please post what special characters
you are using. If you would rather use e-mail, you can send the information
to hnbugs@microsoft.com

Also, there should be a log file on the computer where you ran the update.
It is called BBNUpdateLog.txt. If you have the software installed, it will
be stored in the install folder (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Broadband Networking). If the software is not installed, the log file is in
the folder above the location selected for saving. Please send this log file
hnbugs@microsoft.com and someone will look at it.

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager

"Mitch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No I am connected via the ethernet cable. The password I
> am using is correct. I am able to sign in to the base
> station with this password. Any ideas?

My password is alphanumeric. This isn't a password
problem since putting the wrong password in does give a
message indicating that.

There wasn't any error message as I recall, just that the
update failed (boot and runtime firmware). The
application was successful. I tried numerous times and
each time the firmware update would fail. However I just
tried to do the update again so I could give any info
that may help and much to my surprise it completed
successfully. I have recently added a laptop to the
network and did make adjustments, but to my knowledge, I
had not changed setting on the router other than block
ICMP commands. Anyway thanks for responding.

confers no rights.