wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
i have an asus p4pe mobo and a p4 2.4ghz C1 stepping (SL6EF)prod code the intel site states that the vcore should be at 1.525v in the asus probe utility it says 1.5v standard and the monitoring tool says the vcore is at 1.6v

i've ocd the fsb from 133mhz to 145 mhz and locked the pci to 66.66/33.33 the rest i left the same in the bios

why is it running at 1.6v vcore, can this harm my cpu, is it because i oc'd (i didn't do anything to the vcore setting in the bios)

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
There is allways some variance in the core voltage, depending on how they tune the electronics supplying the voltage. Most methods of measuring the cpu voltage arn't terribly accurate either, +/- 0.1v being a good accuracy.

So if your system is stable, forget about it.
A bit of extra core voltage is handy if you overclock anyway.

Extra voltage can harm the cpu, but only something like 1.75v or greater with inferior cpu cooling.

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
thank you, i tried the cpu @ 150 fsb and pc mark ran ok
i also tried @ 166fsb but pc mark reported an error in the 3rd test or so (just trying) i set evrything back to default , my pc is fast enough for the stuff i do at the moment and and don't want to ruin a thing that work just fine

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't wimp out! At anything less than 1.75v, your CPU should last at least 5 years unless it runs very hot all the time. At 1.65v or less, it will probably last at least 10 years as long as it's not running constantly hot.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
so pumpin more power thru your cpu cuts its life down that much? thats only 0.2 of a volt!!!

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually that would be worst case scenario. I'd hate to tell him to expect 20 years and see him only get 5.

A few guys have had "suddent CPU death syndrom" at 1.75v. Not very many, but a few.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
It's only .2 of a volt, but at 30amps (no kidding) that's 6 more watts and several degrees of heat.

Silicon don't like heat...

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Yeah, Crashman... but SCPUD can happen at any voltage.

Some of them just give up the ghost...

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
So if i overclock my amd xp 2700 and put the vcore to 1.85v , am i only going to be able to use my cpu for 2 years? Does this do anythnig else to your other components?

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
thank you crashman, lol if i'm working with this rig in 20 years from now (or even 5),

the problem is that i'm using stock intel cooling at the moment and the tape that was on the heatsink came off (had to push it back on) so i don't trust that thing one bit asus pcprobe reports 36 C at stock speed 2.4ghz and 55 C at load (pcmark, 3dmark, games) it also ran these benchmarks at 150 fsb, at 166 mhz fsb pcmark gave an error on the second test maybe thats the point to increase vcore then?? the thing is that at those speed i can set the mem to 400mhz to run in sync with the ddr 400 corsair

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've heard that Intel allows you to use paste if the tape falls off. Yes, you won't be able to run the memory in sync if you go much over 100MHz bus. But you're already running with a 2.4 "533" bus processor anyway, no? Which means your CPU at 133MHz bus stock you'll never be in "sync".

Voltage increases are often used to stabilize an overclocked system. But you're right not to want it much over 55C.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
yep 533fsb, if i want the mem to run at 400mhz i have to at least up my fsb to 150else the settings on my p4pe don't allow for running at ddr400, besides temperature is ok nut i don't think vcore upping is in it, with the bad contact wwith the heatsink i'll probably get me some watercooling or a volcano 7+ .....

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Cool! If I run my CPU at 1.25volts I won't need another upgrade for 40 years! SHIBBY!

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>