jknight

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
Ok so every 3 years or so I have to buy a new printer. Before getting another one I thought I would do some research. Let me give you a little example of what we print with and how we use them.

We do print color pictures, photo pictures but mostly do a lot of black and white printing. For the most part we tend to really use the printer only a few times a year. This results in having to buy another set of color cartridges which tend to run about $100 (for color) once we're done. It feels like every 300 or so pictures/pages we are having to buy new cartridges. Then for a couple months we don't use the printer at all. The problem with a lot of ink jet type printers is that the ink dries up or the heads get damaged. Most you can't replace the heads, although a few Cannon's can be replaced for $50.00.

I was thinking of getting a laser color printer or a black and white color printer. My thinking behind it was that the toner cartridge would sit and handle the printer inactivity longer. Although it does increase costs for cartridges, it does increase the amount that I can print. But from what I remember a color laser printer will not print photos.

So I'm trying to decide with just getting another ink jet printer vs black white laser and maybe a small photo printer for photographs. Or just getting a black white laser and then doing color photos at with the Kodak photo machine, etc since I don't use the photos that much.

Any suggestions or ideas?