Athlon XP or MP?

Diamond4D

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I've been shopping around for a new chip for my game server ever since the Athlon 2100 in it fried. I was wondering whether to just buy another 2100 for like $93 or spend the $146 on the 2000 MP? I know the MP is Multi Processor but I also understand that it does some things differently. Would any of those features help me? The server will host, at any given time, 1 Internet game server, 1 LAN Game Server, Full time file server, on and off Streaming Radio, and 2-6 FTPs and Websites. Any help would be appreciated.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
What you suggest cannot be done. You can't just swap an XP for an MP, just like you can't swap a Xeon for a P3, or an Itanium for a P4. They aren't compatible, for one. Two, they need to be run in pairs. Three, the only benefit is easily seen in encoding software, such as DivX. Most software isn't made to take advantage of dual processors.

I'll try to explain this. In a dual cpu system, the motherboard delegates programs to each processor. So, if you are running a single app, it will be run on one processor, with a few minor processes possibly being delegated to the second. However, if you had multiple unique processes running (ie: winamp, IE, SETI, and maybe DivX), then the processes are sent to each CPU independently, reducing the overall load. That's why dual cpu's are used for servers that are running huge numbers of tasks simultaneously: because a single processor, even if it was the same speed as the sum of the multi-processor config, would run slower. The multiple processors can work in parallel on their own little tasks while a single CPU is relatively serial in nature. So, from what you say you want a set-up would take advantage of this, but you would then have to buy a new motherboard and a second CPU, turning your $100 replacement into a full $500 upgrade. Frankly, at least as I saw it, a single CPU is far superior to dual. Dual is just for show. You'd only have at most three 32-bit PCI slots to put your NICs into, because all dual processor boards feature 64-bit slots. Spend the saved money on some faster ram, and maybe upgrade to a slightly faster CPU while you're at it.

I'm writing this pretty late at night, and I'm tired, so if it's unclear, PM me and I'll re-write it as best as I can.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

My computer is bigger than your computer....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't just swap an XP for an MP

Yes you can. The MP IS an XP. The pins are the same. During the production process, AMD cuts the bridges that make the MP SMP compatable, and the XP is born. You can put any XP in any MP board as a single processor, you can put any MP in an XP board as well. The only restriction is that the XP can't be run in a dual configuration (unless you restore those bridges).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They are the SAME processor. The XP is made "non-dual compatable". Everything else is the same. So unless you plan one getting a Dual Processor board, stick with the XP.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
So, what you're saying is, if you want to donate an extra $53 to the AMD cause, buy the MP? :smile:

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Also, I dont believe you have a 2500+ barton, newegg only got stock of the oem version on the 27th(first store to have any) That leaves 1 weekday to have it shipped to you.

Sounds fishy to me.

::contrary mood tonight::

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:

Diamond4D

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Ok, so now we've established I can just swap them. Is there anything on the MP that would be more beneficial than the XP or are they identical other than that one bridge? And can I run one MP on a dually mobo until I can afford the second MP? And can I run two different MPs?

Mustang9621

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
Buzz, The Judge declares you wrong. I've had the 2500 + (Barton) since the 25th. Purchaused it through atacom. Picked it up at the store.

Signature, If it works right it's no fun

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Acutally, I got it yesterday, which is why I updated my profile. It originally read "on pre-order". So TS for you.

And as for the MP/XP deal, I just did some research on Google. I spent an hour or so. Yes, it is the L5 bridge that can be reconnected, but this does not guarantee compatibility. No one out there guaranteed it would work, and if it does work they will not guarantee it will be stable. Also, some tried just using dual XPs in a dual cpu motherboard, and they generall ran slower than the dual MPs (but for the price difference, I suppose it is acceptable). It is apparently a minor thing to connect the L5 bridge, but everywhere I go they don't claim stability to the same extent they claim connecting the L1 bridge for overclocking is stable.

I admit defeat, and as I no longer trust my tech for supplying me with bad information, I'm in the market for a new one. Any free agents?

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

My computer is bigger than your computer....

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Amidst the "I don't belive you've got such and such a chip...Yes I have...No you haven't" squabbling...

Is there anything on the MP that would be more beneficial than the XP
No, only support for dual processors. Otherwise they are theoretically identical. In selecting an MP processor however, AMD will select the most stable chips, normally a top priority for servers. Hence the increased price for MP processors.

And can I run one MP on a dually mobo until I can afford the second MP
Yes.

And can I run two different MPs?
In theory yes however both CPUs must run at an identical clock rate. In practice you can expect maximum stability from running two identical CPUs.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: