resizing control panel applet windows

In the thread, Saafe Mode, Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP, wrote
this answer, "The normal Windows, yes (like IE and OE), but not the ones for
the control panel applets." to this question, "Are you saying that the
active window size is not adjustable?

In my XP Home, I can resize these control panel applets.
Add or Remove Programs, Administrative Tools, Fonts, Network Connections,
Portable Media Devices, Printers and Faxes, Scanners and Cameras, Scheduled
Tasks, Security Center, and User Accounts are acting like normal windows.
These windows all have Minimize, Maximize, and Close in the upper left
corner.
Tile vertically and horizontally work on all of these control panel applets.
Notes: I haven't tried in Safe Mode except for Add or Remove Programs, but I
can't imagine that there would be any difference.

Is XP Pro different?
--
Ron Sommer

Ron Sommer wrote:
> In the thread, Saafe Mode, Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP, wrote
> this answer, "The normal Windows, yes (like IE and OE), but not the ones for
> the control panel applets." to this question, "Are you saying that the
> active window size is not adjustable?
>
> In my XP Home, I can resize these control panel applets.
> Add or Remove Programs, Administrative Tools, Fonts, Network Connections,
> Portable Media Devices, Printers and Faxes, Scanners and Cameras, Scheduled
> Tasks, Security Center, and User Accounts are acting like normal windows.
> These windows all have Minimize, Maximize, and Close in the upper left
> corner.
> Tile vertically and horizontally work on all of these control panel applets.
> Notes: I haven't tried in Safe Mode except for Add or Remove Programs, but I
> can't imagine that there would be any difference.
>
> Is XP Pro different?

Whether or not a window is sizable has nothing to do with where it is
launched from. Some control panel applet windows, such as the ones you
name, have their styles set so that they can be resized, minimized,
maximized, etc. Others, such as Accessibility Options, Date and Time,
Display, Folder Options, Game Controllers, etc, can not be sized. But
again this has nothing to do with the fact that they are control panel
applets but just the style of the window as set by the developer.

The options in IE/OE windows (that appear by clicking Tools, * Options
in those programs) are not sizable.

XP Pro and Home are no different in this regard.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

"Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Ron Sommer wrote:
>> In the thread, Saafe Mode, Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP,
>> wrote this answer, "The normal Windows, yes (like IE and OE), but not the
>> ones for the control panel applets." to this question, "Are you saying
>> that the active window size is not adjustable?
>>
>> In my XP Home, I can resize these control panel applets.
>> Add or Remove Programs, Administrative Tools, Fonts, Network Connections,
>> Portable Media Devices, Printers and Faxes, Scanners and Cameras,
>> Scheduled
>> Tasks, Security Center, and User Accounts are acting like normal windows.
>> These windows all have Minimize, Maximize, and Close in the upper left
>> corner.
>> Tile vertically and horizontally work on all of these control panel
>> applets.
>> Notes: I haven't tried in Safe Mode except for Add or Remove Programs,
>> but I
>> can't imagine that there would be any difference.
>>
>> Is XP Pro different?
>
> Whether or not a window is sizable has nothing to do with where it is
> launched from. Some control panel applet windows, such as the ones you
> name, have their styles set so that they can be resized, minimized,
> maximized, etc. Others, such as Accessibility Options, Date and Time,
> Display, Folder Options, Game Controllers, etc, can not be sized. But
> again this has nothing to do with the fact that they are control panel
> applets but just the style of the window as set by the developer.
>
> The options in IE/OE windows (that appear by clicking Tools, * Options in
> those programs) are not sizable.
>
> XP Pro and Home are no different in this regard.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Thanks Tom
--
Ron Sommer