Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 9, 2005 12:07:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2 setup.
Where would I find it? Thanks.


--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
jeff@stevens.com
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:09:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Right-click on a picture file, select "Properties",
under the "General" tab select "Open with",
select "Change", select "Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer", place a check next to
"Always use the selected program to open
this kind of file", then click Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jeff" wrote:

| I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2 setup.
| Where would I find it? Thanks.
|
| Jeff Stevens
August 9, 2005 7:24:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Um, that tells the OP how to use it, not where it's located on the hard
drive. Personally, I don't know and I don't think you do either.

Alias

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote

> Right-click on a picture file, select "Properties",
> under the "General" tab select "Open with",
> select "Change", select "Windows Picture
> and Fax Viewer", place a check next to
> "Always use the selected program to open
> this kind of file", then click Apply.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
> | I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2 setup.
> | Where would I find it? Thanks.
> |
> | Jeff Stevens
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:24:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alias

It makes little difference as 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' does not open
like other applications in that one can't start it and then load a picture
into it.. it is more of a procedure that is called when a picture file is
double clicked, assuming that the association is not to some other graphics
application..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User


"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:uMqq2WOnFHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Um, that tells the OP how to use it, not where it's located on the hard
> drive. Personally, I don't know and I don't think you do either.
>
> Alias
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
>
>> Right-click on a picture file, select "Properties",
>> under the "General" tab select "Open with",
>> select "Change", select "Windows Picture
>> and Fax Viewer", place a check next to
>> "Always use the selected program to open
>> this kind of file", then click Apply.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "Jeff" wrote:
>>
>> | I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2
>> setup.
>> | Where would I find it? Thanks.
>> |
>> | Jeff Stevens
>>
>
>
August 9, 2005 8:05:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Oh, OK, that explains it, then, thanks.

Alias
"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote

> Alias
>
> It makes little difference as 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' does not
> open like other applications in that one can't start it and then load a
> picture into it.. it is more of a procedure that is called when a picture
> file is double clicked, assuming that the association is not to some other
> graphics application..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> news:uMqq2WOnFHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Um, that tells the OP how to use it, not where it's located on the hard
>> drive. Personally, I don't know and I don't think you do either.
>>
>> Alias
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> Right-click on a picture file, select "Properties",
>>> under the "General" tab select "Open with",
>>> select "Change", select "Windows Picture
>>> and Fax Viewer", place a check next to
>>> "Always use the selected program to open
>>> this kind of file", then click Apply.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> "Jeff" wrote:
>>>
>>> | I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2
>>> setup.
>>> | Where would I find it? Thanks.
>>> |
>>> | Jeff Stevens
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
August 10, 2005 4:08:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Right-click on a picture file, select "Properties",
> under the "General" tab select "Open with",
> select "Change", select "Windows Picture
> and Fax Viewer", place a check next to
> "Always use the selected program to open
> this kind of file", then click Apply.

Thank you.

>> I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2
>> setup. Where would I find it? Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff Stevens
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:09:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Have a look at:

http://ask-leo.com/what_if_i_want_windows_picture_and_f...

This works nicely, except that it opens WPFV in "Full Screen" mode (owing to
the ",ImageView_Fullscreen" argument following "...shimgvw.dll".

Sure would like to know what other arguments are available for
"shimgvw.dll", especially for opening into "other than Full Screen". Anybody?
Buehler?

"Jeff" wrote:

> I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2 setup.
> Where would I find it? Thanks.
>
>
> --
>
> Jeff Stevens
> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
> jeff@stevens.com
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:59:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

OK, I correct myself - the instructions in that article will actually open
WPFV into a proper Window view rather than the clumsy Full Screen.

"eBob" wrote:

> ... This works nicely, except that it opens WPFV in "Full Screen" mode (owing to
> the ",ImageView_Fullscreen" argument following "...shimgvw.dll".
>
> Sure would like to know what other arguments are available for
> "shimgvw.dll", especially for opening into "other than Full Screen". Anybody?
> Buehler?

....
August 15, 2005 4:34:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Didn't read into the other posts, just some added info if not covered by you
already:

rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1 will open pictures

%1 is either a file or folder name. If a folder name the first file will be
displayed. Note first file not first picture file.

If the first file isn't a picture then you'll see No Preview Available. You
can use the Next/Previous buttons to cycle through all files in a folder.
Does not accept wildcards.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"eBob" <eBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1F7BD3DC-7238-40C8-9F0C-EFD5CAE95FC2@microsoft.com...
> OK, I correct myself - the instructions in that article will actually open
> WPFV into a proper Window view rather than the clumsy Full Screen.
>
> "eBob" wrote:
>
>> ... This works nicely, except that it opens WPFV in "Full Screen" mode
>> (owing to
>> the ",ImageView_Fullscreen" argument following "...shimgvw.dll".
>>
>> Sure would like to know what other arguments are available for
>> "shimgvw.dll", especially for opening into "other than Full Screen".
>> Anybody?
>> Buehler?
>
> ...
!