Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2 setup.
Where would I find it? Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

    Right-click on a picture file, select "Properties",
    under the "General" tab select "Open with",
    select "Change", select "Windows Picture
    and Fax Viewer", place a check next to
    "Always use the selected program to open
    this kind of file", then click Apply.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jeff" wrote:

    | I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2 setup.
    | Where would I find it? Thanks.
    |
    | Jeff Stevens

    Um, that tells the OP how to use it, not where it's located on the hard
    drive. Personally, I don't know and I don't think you do either.

    Alias

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote

    > Right-click on a picture file, select "Properties",
    > under the "General" tab select "Open with",
    > select "Change", select "Windows Picture
    > and Fax Viewer", place a check next to
    > "Always use the selected program to open
    > this kind of file", then click Apply.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Jeff" wrote:
    >
    > | I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2 setup.
    > | Where would I find it? Thanks.
    > |
    > | Jeff Stevens

    Alias

    It makes little difference as 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' does not open
    like other applications in that one can't start it and then load a picture
    into it.. it is more of a procedure that is called when a picture file is
    double clicked, assuming that the association is not to some other graphics
    application..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > Um, that tells the OP how to use it, not where it's located on the hard
    > drive. Personally, I don't know and I don't think you do either.
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> Right-click on a picture file, select "Properties",
    >> under the "General" tab select "Open with",
    >> select "Change", select "Windows Picture
    >> and Fax Viewer", place a check next to
    >> "Always use the selected program to open
    >> this kind of file", then click Apply.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> "Jeff" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2
    >> setup.
    >> | Where would I find it? Thanks.
    >> |
    >> | Jeff Stevens

    Oh, OK, that explains it, then, thanks.

    Alias
    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Right-click on a picture file, select "Properties",
    > under the "General" tab select "Open with",
    > select "Change", select "Windows Picture
    > and Fax Viewer", place a check next to
    > "Always use the selected program to open
    > this kind of file", then click Apply.

    Thank you.

    >> I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2
    >> setup. Where would I find it? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Jeff Stevens

    Have a look at:

    http://ask-leo.com/what_if_i_want_windows_picture_and_fax_viewer.html

    This works nicely, except that it opens WPFV in "Full Screen" mode (owing to
    the ",ImageView_Fullscreen" argument following "...shimgvw.dll".

    Sure would like to know what other arguments are available for
    "shimgvw.dll", especially for opening into "other than Full Screen". Anybody?
    Buehler?

    "Jeff" wrote:

    > I can't find my Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my XP Home SP-2 setup.
    > Where would I find it? Thanks.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Jeff Stevens
    > Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
    > jeff@stevens.com

    OK, I correct myself - the instructions in that article will actually open
    WPFV into a proper Window view rather than the clumsy Full Screen.

    "eBob" wrote:

    > ... This works nicely, except that it opens WPFV in "Full Screen" mode (owing to
    > the ",ImageView_Fullscreen" argument following "...shimgvw.dll".
    >
    > Sure would like to know what other arguments are available for
    > "shimgvw.dll", especially for opening into "other than Full Screen". Anybody?
    > Buehler?

    Didn't read into the other posts, just some added info if not covered by you
    already:

    rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
    rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1 will open pictures

    %1 is either a file or folder name. If a folder name the first file will be
    displayed. Note first file not first picture file.

    If the first file isn't a picture then you'll see No Preview Available. You
    can use the Next/Previous buttons to cycle through all files in a folder.
    Does not accept wildcards.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "eBob" <eBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OK, I correct myself - the instructions in that article will actually open
    > WPFV into a proper Window view rather than the clumsy Full Screen.
    >
    > "eBob" wrote:
    >
    >> ... This works nicely, except that it opens WPFV in "Full Screen" mode
    >> (owing to
    >> the ",ImageView_Fullscreen" argument following "...shimgvw.dll".
    >>
    >> Sure would like to know what other arguments are available for
    >> "shimgvw.dll", especially for opening into "other than Full Screen".
    >> Anybody?
    >> Buehler?

Fax Microsoft Windows XP