Difference between Intel and AMD?

GuitarKalle

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
I'm going to buy two new computers.. Right now I'm looking for two P4 2,66 ghz..

Is this wise or should I go with AMD? I don't really overclock..

Also, if I buy a P4 with a sis655 motherboard. how long will this be the standard? Can I buy a 3,6 ghz processor in 6 months and upgrade without changing motherboard?

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
The AMD would be better. Also the intel path has very little upgradability. The 655 will not be able to support a 3.6 p4 in 6 months because intel are moving up to a 200Mhz FSB and it is unlikely that if they make a 3.6 p4 that it will work with a 133Mhz FSB. (If you want upgradability then get AMD. Neither path has much upgradability potential to be honest but the AMD will last a little longer. Til about the end of the year. Did I mention the AMD route will be much cheaper too? :)
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
One thing that concerns me is that AMD runs hotter then Intel. Is that the same problem on newer Athlons?

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Even if you use the stock sink/fan, your temps should be fairly low, with either the barton or Thoro-B core. The only ones that were hot were the Palominos (I had one, but too damn hot). Go for the Barton, as it runs a bit faster at a lower clock (and possibly temp, but I haven't seen that proven anywhere yet).

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

My computer is bigger than your computer....

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I haven't tested the temp on my current setup (just got the CPU and I haven't had time to install it), but my current Palomino 1600+ @1.42 Ghz is between 53C (at night) and 59C (during the day). That's with a Volcano 9+ fan/sink. If I cranked the fan all the way up, I could get it down about 10C, but then it would sound like a 747 in my room. That's no good. This is all under load mind you, as I run SETI and FAH. I think the Barton's are a little warmer than the T-B's, but I'll have to see.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
your probably using stock cooling and a palo-xp chip, that's the reason for the heat, i just ordered myself a 2100+b to replace my 1900+a. From what i hear, you can overclock the b's like crazy, which is my idea, but as far as temps go i hear as low as 10~40 with 100mhz overclocking or higher ^_^

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

zebz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2003
Interesting point about AMD or Intel, its a bit difficult at present because both are looking at changing there FSBs. AMD maybe bringing out 200FSB barton chips before the release of the newer Athlon chips and Intel as mentioned above will be moving to a 200 FSB core.

I think you should be looking at the possible system now and what its able to goto rather than think about whats down the line say 6 months from now. For intel the best you could hope for is the Granite Bay chipset with P4 2.66 Chip and maybe 512 Mb 2x256Mb DDR 2100 memory, that can goto to a Max at present of 3.06 with Hyperthreading. On the side of the AMD you can go with I say Minimum 2600+ 333Mhz FSB, nForce 2 board and again 2x 256 say corsair PC3200 CAS2 memory witht the board able to go upto 3000+. both give u the option of going faster, but dont expect them to be able to take the chips that will be out in 6 months time.

It might be better to think of the best you can buy now, knowing that in the near future you might need to replace the chip and motherboard.

Hard decision.

I have a P4 2.8Ghz system and a AMD Athlon 2100+ system, but are used for completely different reasons. The AMD is used for DVD authoring and the P4 is for gaming.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Well, you can see my setup in my sig. I have the same board, and just bigger dimms of the same ram. I looked at the market, and this is why I decided on the upgrade now. As far as I know, the nForce2 supports FSBs of 200Mhz, so the new cpus should run just fine on it. That's the nice thing about AMD, and that they try to make their CPUs backwards compatible. They may not work as well as if they had a proper motherboard, but they will work. Gotta love that socket A!. Intel makes you get a new motherboard each time you want an upgrade.

My system is setup this way because it is to be a "do-all" system. I'm purchasing an RME or Audiotrak soundcard, and maybe a GF4Ti4600 off E-Bay (they're going for really cheap now). It's to be a DJ/sound studio system, as well as a gaming/HT/office/authoring system. It's well on it's way now.

In six months, I might be getting a new CPU anyway, at least if there is a significant performance increase (like 30%+), but that is unlikely.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

nothing they do the samething.

One runs relativly hotter then the other maybe.

If you are worried about your system being obsolete in 6 months your in a dream land kid. Doesn't matter what you buy it will be obsolete in 6 months and in some cases as soon as you get it out the door or ships.

What you should be worried about is, "will this do what i want it too?" right? your paying all this money it better do exactly what you want it to. If it is too much you could even scale back a little and get something cheaper to save your hard earned money.

You don't need to upgrade unless it doesn't do what you want it to.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want to support the next bus speed, you'll need the next revision of the 655 (or Intel's next chipset). Those are still a month away.

Both of these platforms (AMD and Intel) are a dead end. That's right, I said BOTH. Both INCLUDES AMD.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I highly recommend the P4 over anything AMD makes. Dont get me wrong zeelots, AMD is a nice niche processor. AMD is about to get strong armed into new thinking (new design, new pin layout, blah blah blah). AMD wont be able to compete with Intel in 6 months even with the much touted 64bit (seen it and not very impressed at all). So like the last post said, if you can wait do so for about 3 months. That way you can get your hands on the next Intel chipset, which should be compatible for the next year or longer. AMD is a great processor, just like the corrolla is a great car, but it's not a corvette. :)

Using a p4 with 800mhz FSB and DualChannel 400mhz DDR should put anything that AMD can get out of their modified 386 to shame...

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
well if it'll make you feel better, i just got a 2100+b, and i set the fsb to 166 and the core to 12.5, now my system reads a 2800+ and idle's at 33*C and full loads at 37*C, the new cores are very cool.

Chieftec Dragon case
4 Vantec Stealth fans
1 Vantec Aeroflow
and a semi-silent system

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Why do everyones Palominos run so hot? my Pal 2000+ (1667mhz) used to run at 1800mhz and the temps were 39/48C idle/load. I was using a crappy Aluminium Coolermaster HSF, and one casefan. My room is at about 23C. I was also using some crappy Thermal paste that came with the HSF. Am I just better at putting on HSF's or is there something else happening here? :smile:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
The T-Bred B Atlons seem to run cooler than a P4 at equal performance. Heat is no longer any problem with AMD chips. Intels seem to run hoter now from what I have seen.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

Makaveli

Splendid
my 1800+ Paly overclocked to 166x10 runs @ 36c idle and about 44c full load. if you have proper cool and your room temps are fine your won't have any problems!

I have a Volcano 7+ and 4 80mm Case fans!