zone alarm woes-deluxe games

August 9, 2005 9:50:12 AM

trying to download z.a. firewall on my new hp laptop.
Every time I boot up, first thing that pops up is a window that is
showing a folder called zone deluxe games .
The typical Zone alarm icon is not showing up as "working" down in the
toolbar. It seems there must be a conflict with za and windows firewall on
this puter.
Any help would be appreciated.
Is windows firewall sufficient -do I even need za in addition to it?

Thanks in advance,

Loveem
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:32:21 PM

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/support.j...

There are two different products: ZA free and ZA pro (pay for) for the home
PC user. There is a new version for both recently posted at there website.

Downloading is typically copying a file from a network drive or server.
Evidently you've already downloaded the product install file from the
zonelabs server, and installed that product as you're looking for a ZA icon
in the system tray that you say typically appears.

As stated so many times in this newsgroup, windows firewall only works on
incoming, not outgoing stuff. ZA and ZA Pro does both. The new ZA Pro has
a spyware sniffer and eradicator added, along with email protectiong,
phishing detection, ID and privacy protection of the previous product
version. You tell me what's best.

I don't deal withi anything associated with MSN. Too intrusive, and changes
too much, per the folder you mentioned opening.

If there's a conflict with windows firewall, disable same in the security
center.

If you upgraded to the latest ZA version,
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1012_zl/zlsSetup_...
then that is maybe why there's problems.
There is a corresponding upgrade for ZA Pro in which Zone Labs acknowledges
there's a problem with some PCs doing an upgrade. They recommend a clean
install instead.

"Loveembirds" <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> trying to download z.a. firewall on my new hp laptop.
> Every time I boot up, first thing that pops up is a window that is
> showing a folder called zone deluxe games .
> The typical Zone alarm icon is not showing up as "working" down in the
> toolbar. It seems there must be a conflict with za and windows firewall on
> this puter.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Is windows firewall sufficient -do I even need za in addition to it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Loveem
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:34:10 PM

Also, try this:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/promotions/spywar...

"Loveembirds" <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> trying to download z.a. firewall on my new hp laptop.
> Every time I boot up, first thing that pops up is a window that is
> showing a folder called zone deluxe games .
> The typical Zone alarm icon is not showing up as "working" down in the
> toolbar. It seems there must be a conflict with za and windows firewall on
> this puter.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Is windows firewall sufficient -do I even need za in addition to it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Loveem
August 9, 2005 5:28:44 PM

"Loveembirds" <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> trying to download z.a. firewall on my new hp laptop.
> Every time I boot up, first thing that pops up is a window that is
> showing a folder called zone deluxe games .
> The typical Zone alarm icon is not showing up as "working" down in the
> toolbar. It seems there must be a conflict with za and windows firewall on
> this puter.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Is windows firewall sufficient -do I even need za in addition to it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Loveem

ZA is a better idea than the Windows firewall. But, the "zone deluxe games"
folder you mentioned - I've NEVER seen that, and I've been using ZA for
years. I suspect the folder you're seeing is something that came with your
computer. Or, you downloaded and installed something other than ZoneAlarm.
What was the name of the install file you ran to install ZA?
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:28:45 PM

Zone Deluxe game are part of MSN Zones (gaming site) and is not part of ZA.
Whenever ZA is installed, I seen Windows firewall gets disabled.

Also, you need to download ZA from www.zonealarm.com which should makre the
file only ZA.

"Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Loveembirds" <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> trying to download z.a. firewall on my new hp laptop.
>> Every time I boot up, first thing that pops up is a window that is
>> showing a folder called zone deluxe games .
>> The typical Zone alarm icon is not showing up as "working" down in the
>> toolbar. It seems there must be a conflict with za and windows firewall
>> on
>> this puter.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>> Is windows firewall sufficient -do I even need za in addition to it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Loveem
>
> ZA is a better idea than the Windows firewall. But, the "zone deluxe
> games" folder you mentioned - I've NEVER seen that, and I've been using ZA
> for years. I suspect the folder you're seeing is something that came with
> your computer. Or, you downloaded and installed something other than
> ZoneAlarm. What was the name of the install file you ran to install ZA?

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:26:32 PM

> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/support.j...
>
> There are two different products: ZA free and ZA pro (pay for) for the
> home
> PC user. There is a new version for both recently posted at there
> website.
>
> Downloading is typically copying a file from a network drive or server.
> Evidently you've already downloaded the product install file from the
> zonelabs server, and installed that product as you're looking for a ZA
> icon
> in the system tray that you say typically appears.
>
> As stated so many times in this newsgroup, windows firewall only works on
> incoming, not outgoing stuff. ZA and ZA Pro does both. The new ZA Pro
> has
> a spyware sniffer and eradicator added, along with email protectiong,
> phishing detection, ID and privacy protection of the previous product
> version. You tell me what's best.

I just got a warning 2 days ago saying there was a new version of ZA Pro.
Downloaded, installed, and it completely destroyed my ability to access the
web. Nice! Haven't dealt with the issue yet - I'm just disabling it and
doing web stuff in batches. Very odd. In 3 years of using ZA, and getting
the updates whenever they're available, I've never seen anything like this.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:22:40 AM

> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/support.j...
> >
> > There are two different products: ZA free and ZA pro (pay for) for the
> > home
> > PC user. There is a new version for both recently posted at there
> > website.
> >
> > Downloading is typically copying a file from a network drive or server.
> > Evidently you've already downloaded the product install file from the
> > zonelabs server, and installed that product as you're looking for a ZA
> > icon
> > in the system tray that you say typically appears.
> >
> > As stated so many times in this newsgroup, windows firewall only works
on
> > incoming, not outgoing stuff. ZA and ZA Pro does both. The new ZA Pro
> > has
> > a spyware sniffer and eradicator added, along with email protectiong,
> > phishing detection, ID and privacy protection of the previous product
> > version. You tell me what's best.
>
> I just got a warning 2 days ago saying there was a new version of ZA Pro.
> Downloaded, installed, and it completely destroyed my ability to access
the
> web. Nice! Haven't dealt with the issue yet - I'm just disabling it and
> doing web stuff in batches. Very odd. In 3 years of using ZA, and getting
> the updates whenever they're available, I've never seen anything like
this.

Yep. After casually doing the upgrades as they were made available, this
was big surprise to me as well. Believe there were problems with many users
when transitioning from 4.xx to 5.xx version of ZA/ZA Pro. I sat out the
first two updates, then installed when the 3rd 5.xx update was made
available.

Had the last 5.5.xx version of ZA Pro installed. Opted to upgrade using the
current 6.xx version. My original settings were to notify and ask me for
anything seeking internet access. Opted to keep my original settings during
the install. After the upgrade install, some apps were gaining internet
acces without notification. Others simply could not access the internet
including IE and NAV update. Never was there a ZA notification of app
attempting internet access. ZA showed no changes in the settings after the
install. Found if I turned Program Control off in ZA, all could access the
internet. But, this left me setting just like the Windows Firewall.
Blocked in stuff, anything can go out. A clean install seems to have fixed
everything. The prevous uninstall of ZA leaves the license key in the
registry, so you don't have to reinput it.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 5:12:55 PM

> "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
>> > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/support.j...
>> >
>> > There are two different products: ZA free and ZA pro (pay for) for the
>> > home
>> > PC user. There is a new version for both recently posted at there
>> > website.
>> >
>> > Downloading is typically copying a file from a network drive or server.
>> > Evidently you've already downloaded the product install file from the
>> > zonelabs server, and installed that product as you're looking for a ZA
>> > icon
>> > in the system tray that you say typically appears.
>> >
>> > As stated so many times in this newsgroup, windows firewall only works
> on
>> > incoming, not outgoing stuff. ZA and ZA Pro does both. The new ZA Pro
>> > has
>> > a spyware sniffer and eradicator added, along with email protectiong,
>> > phishing detection, ID and privacy protection of the previous product
>> > version. You tell me what's best.
>>
>> I just got a warning 2 days ago saying there was a new version of ZA Pro.
>> Downloaded, installed, and it completely destroyed my ability to access
> the
>> web. Nice! Haven't dealt with the issue yet - I'm just disabling it and
>> doing web stuff in batches. Very odd. In 3 years of using ZA, and getting
>> the updates whenever they're available, I've never seen anything like
> this.
>>

> Yep. After casually doing the upgrades as they were made available, this
> was big surprise to me as well. Believe there were problems with many
> users
> when transitioning from 4.xx to 5.xx version of ZA/ZA Pro. I sat out the
> first two updates, then installed when the 3rd 5.xx update was made
> available.
>
> Had the last 5.5.xx version of ZA Pro installed. Opted to upgrade using
> the
> current 6.xx version. My original settings were to notify and ask me for
> anything seeking internet access. Opted to keep my original settings
> during
> the install. After the upgrade install, some apps were gaining internet
> acces without notification. Others simply could not access the internet
> including IE and NAV update. Never was there a ZA notification of app
> attempting internet access. ZA showed no changes in the settings after
> the
> install. Found if I turned Program Control off in ZA, all could access
> the
> internet. But, this left me setting just like the Windows Firewall.
> Blocked in stuff, anything can go out. A clean install seems to have
> fixed
> everything. The prevous uninstall of ZA leaves the license key in the
> registry, so you don't have to reinput it.

By "clean install", you mean uninstall and then reinstall (rather than
upgrade)? That did the trick? Incidentally, one thing I see being blocked
(which wasn't before) is svchost.exe. I'm wondering.....
August 10, 2005 5:36:19 PM

"" wrote:
> trying to download z.a. firewall on my new hp laptop.
> Every time I boot up, first thing that pops up is a window
> that is
> showing a folder called zone deluxe games .
> The typical Zone alarm icon is not showing up as "working"
> down in the
> toolbar. It seems there must be a conflict with za and windows
> firewall on
> this puter.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Is windows firewall sufficient -do I even need za in
> addition to it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Loveem

Windows firewall is a rather poor and offten inadiquite, it is always
best to use another firewall with windows firewall disabled (often the
firewalls will conflict), Zone Alarm (even the free one) is much
better to windows firewall. You should disable windows firewall by
opening network connections, the properties of your internet (or LAN)
connection, go to advanced, and disable windows firewall, it may be
nessasery to reinstall zone alarm, but i dont think that will be the
case.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-zone-al...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1348145
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:05:05 PM

I dunno guys, all I know is I downloaded the free version at the zone alarm
site - as I have done on my other 2 puters- ( one being ME and the other XP)
and this is the only puter outta 3 that the zone deluxe games window shows
up on after booting up . Also is the only puter that the typical red and
yellow za icon does not show up on.
After I unistalled ZA on this laptop ( tried it 3x times now) the zone
games window does not pop up, go figure. Also, when I Did download ZA on
this laptop I cannot get my outlook express to work until I unistall ZA.

!