I have not checked the Office 2003 NGs yet, as I thought I
may get an answer here- even though it is caused by Office
2003

Microsoft Office Document Imaging changes TIFF files to a
format that is not readable by the XP picture and fax viewer
or MS Paint. Is there a way to change them back or to change
that Office component to not do this

The settings to do that are in MODI.