PCI Modem

G

I have an old 233 Pentium MMX with an ISA 28.8 Modem and I want to install a new v90 PCI Modem. I tried and couldn't get it to work. Are there changes I need to make in bios or IRQ or what? Will it even work with this system. Thanks for any help!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
a common problem pci modems are not recognized as modems you must install it as another device (use hardware wizard) and after it is found as an unknown device install the modem drivers

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>

G

Thanks for replying. My problem seems to be that PNP assigns the PCI Modem to irq 10 or 11 and Comm 1 & 2 are on irq 3 & 4. Do I need to completely remove the software for the isa modem or can I put in the pci and leave the isa in place?

Again, thanks!

TexVirginia

You should uninstall the old software.

If you don't use the COM ports you might consider disabling then the the BIOS. This frees up the IRQs for other things.

Its sometimes better to install modem software before actually installing the card.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
One other thing. If you paid less than around 30$ US for that modem, it's most likely a Winmodem. on a 233, it will exhibit poor performance. You probably want to make sure you've got a hardware modem instead of a software (win) modem on that box.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>