Can the DVD+R/RW drive copy DVD-R discs?

I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about going
with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or copy
DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or RW,
but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
without any problems.

Thanks,
Phillip
7 answers Last reply
More about drive copy discs

    no, unless it says DVD-R and DVD-RW or both + and -

    "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about going
    > with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or
    copy
    > DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or RW,
    > but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
    > without any problems.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Phillip

    A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a copy
    to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability to
    READ.

    That said, buy it with a cheap drive and purchase a decent, and cheap, +/-
    drive.

    Tom
    "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about going
    > with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or
    copy
    > DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or RW,
    > but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
    > without any problems.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Phillip

    I've been thinking out this of late.

    Perhaps I should be telling people to go with no, or the minimum cd or
    dvd-rom drive from dell and purchase a dual format DVD+-RW aftermarket.

    I'm begining to wonder if that's what I should have done in the first place.

    "roadrunner" <rr@meepmeep.com> wrote in message
    > no, unless it says DVD-R and DVD-RW or both + and -
    >

    > "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about
    going
    > > with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or
    > copy
    > > DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or
    RW,
    > > but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
    > > without any problems.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Phillip

    > A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a
    copy
    > to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability to
    > READ.

    Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW drive
    can read regular DVD-R discs?

    Thanks,
    Phillip

    Yes the NEC 2100a can READ -R and -RW discs.I sold my 2100 and put another
    $25 with what I got for it and bought the 2500a.It is a dual format drive.
    > > A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a
    > copy
    > > to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability
    > > READ.
    >
    > Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW drive
    > can read regular DVD-R discs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Phillip

    The organic entity known as Phillip communicated the following:

    >> A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make
    > copy
    >> to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its
    >> ability to READ.
    >
    > Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW
    > drive can read regular DVD-R discs?

    I wondered too and tested: I have been able to copy the DVD-RW discs from
    my Panasonic DVD video recorder on the NEC ND-5100A (DVD+) recorder in my
    Inspiron 8600 laptop. Also have copied DVD+RW discs to the video recorder's
    hard disc.

    As long as the discs are finalized, there seems to be no trouble reading
    between both standards.

    Hans

    There's a hacked firmware available for the 2100a that converts it
    into a dual format drive. OTOH, for $25 more I think I'd go with the
    real thing too.

    Dave

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:41:22 -0500, "Douglas" <.> wrote:

    >Yes the NEC 2100a can READ -R and -RW discs.I sold my 2100 and put another
    >$25 with what I got for it and bought the 2500a.It is a dual format drive.
    >"Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> > A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a
    >> copy
    >> > to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability
    >> > READ.
    >>
    >> Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW drive
    >> can read regular DVD-R discs?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Phillip

Dell DVD Writers Computers