Can the DVD+R/RW drive copy DVD-R discs?

Tags:
  • Dell
  • DVD Writers
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
April 12, 2004 2:45:04 PM

I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about going
with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or copy
DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or RW,
but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
without any problems.

Thanks,
Phillip

More about : dvd drive copy dvd discs

April 12, 2004 5:30:28 PM

no, unless it says DVD-R and DVD-RW or both + and -

"Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about going
> with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or
copy
> DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or RW,
> but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
> without any problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

Anonymous
April 12, 2004 11:34:38 PM

A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a copy
to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability to
READ.

That said, buy it with a cheap drive and purchase a decent, and cheap, +/-
drive.

Tom
"Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about going
> with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or
copy
> DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or RW,
> but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
> without any problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

April 13, 2004 1:15:29 AM

I've been thinking out this of late.

Perhaps I should be telling people to go with no, or the minimum cd or
dvd-rom drive from dell and purchase a dual format DVD+-RW aftermarket.

I'm begining to wonder if that's what I should have done in the first place.

"roadrunner" <rr@meepmeep.com> wrote in message
> no, unless it says DVD-R and DVD-RW or both + and -
>

> "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> > I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about
going
> > with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or
> copy
> > DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or
RW,
> > but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
> > without any problems.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phillip

April 13, 2004 3:10:42 AM

> A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a
copy
> to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability to
> READ.

Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW drive
can read regular DVD-R discs?

Thanks,
Phillip
April 13, 2004 4:41:22 AM

Yes the NEC 2100a can READ -R and -RW discs.I sold my 2100 and put another
$25 with what I got for it and bought the 2500a.It is a dual format drive.
> > A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a
> copy
> > to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability
> > READ.
>
> Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW drive
> can read regular DVD-R discs?
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 8:23:36 PM

The organic entity known as Phillip communicated the following:

>> A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make
> copy
>> to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its
>> ability to READ.
>
> Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW
> drive can read regular DVD-R discs?

I wondered too and tested: I have been able to copy the DVD-RW discs from
my Panasonic DVD video recorder on the NEC ND-5100A (DVD+) recorder in my
Inspiron 8600 laptop. Also have copied DVD+RW discs to the video recorder's
hard disc.

As long as the discs are finalized, there seems to be no trouble reading
between both standards.

Hans
April 14, 2004 5:32:44 AM

There's a hacked firmware available for the 2100a that converts it
into a dual format drive. OTOH, for $25 more I think I'd go with the
real thing too.

Dave

!