Can the DVD+R/RW drive copy DVD-R discs?

Phillip

I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about going
with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or copy
DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or RW,
but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
without any problems.

Thanks,
Phillip

Roadrunner

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004

no, unless it says DVD-R and DVD-RW or both + and -

"Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about going
> with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or
copy
> DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or RW,
> but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
> without any problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a copy
to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability to
READ.

That said, buy it with a cheap drive and purchase a decent, and cheap, +/-
drive.

Tom
"Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about going
> with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or
copy
> DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or RW,
> but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
> without any problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

I've been thinking out this of late.

Perhaps I should be telling people to go with no, or the minimum cd or
dvd-rom drive from dell and purchase a dual format DVD+-RW aftermarket.

I'm begining to wonder if that's what I should have done in the first place.

"roadrunner" <rr@meepmeep.com> wrote in message
> no, unless it says DVD-R and DVD-RW or both + and -
>

> "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> > I'm considering getting a new system, however, I am concerned about
going
> > with a DVD+R drive (verses a DVD-R). Can the DVD+R/RW drive read and/or
> copy
> > DVD-R discs? Obviously the finished copy would have to be in DVD+R or
RW,
> > but I wanted to be sure the drive could read/copy regular DVD-R discs
> > without any problems.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phillip

Phillip

> A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a
copy
> to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability to
> READ.

Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW drive
can read regular DVD-R discs?

Thanks,
Phillip

Douglas

Yes the NEC 2100a can READ -R and -RW discs.I sold my 2100 and put another
$25 with what I got for it and bought the 2500a.It is a dual format drive.
> > A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a
> copy
> > to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability
> > READ.
>
> Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW drive
> can read regular DVD-R discs?
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

The organic entity known as Phillip communicated the following:

>> A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make
> copy
>> to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its
>> ability to READ.
>
> Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW
> drive can read regular DVD-R discs?

I wondered too and tested: I have been able to copy the DVD-RW discs from
my Panasonic DVD video recorder on the NEC ND-5100A (DVD+) recorder in my
Inspiron 8600 laptop. Also have copied DVD+RW discs to the video recorder's
hard disc.

As long as the discs are finalized, there seems to be no trouble reading
between both standards.

Hans

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

There's a hacked firmware available for the 2100a that converts it
into a dual format drive. OTOH, for $25 more I think I'd go with the
real thing too.

Dave