On July 27, I used System restore to solve a problem. I have not asked for
another system restore since that time. Twice since that time, after
rebooting my system in the evening, I come to the office in the morning and
the System Restore confirmation screen is telling me that my system was
restored successfully back to July 27th. Is System Restore executing without
my requesting it? If so, how can I stop these restores?
Thanks.
Sammie

Sammie <Sammie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>On July 27, I used System restore to solve a problem. I have not asked for
>another system restore since that time. Twice since that time, after
>rebooting my system in the evening, I come to the office in the morning and
>the System Restore confirmation screen is telling me that my system was
>restored successfully back to July 27th. Is System Restore executing without
>my requesting it? If so, how can I stop these restores?
>Thanks.
>Sammie

See MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Hi Sammie,

Reinstalling System Restore should repair the problem. The down side is all existing
restore points will be lost.

If you would like to save the restore point and do a little digging:
Download "Startup program tracker" and run it.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/index.html
Click View Log, save it and email it to me at bert@NSmvps.org (remove the NS).

Run the srdiag.exe tool to create a Cab containing the System Restore
files in text format so I can take a look.
1. Click Start, click Run.
2. Type or paste the following: "%windir%\system32\restore\srdiag.exe"
(without the quotation marks) and either press Enter or click OK.
3. A CMD window will open while the Srdiag.exe runs. The CMD session will automatically
close when complete, and the .CAB file will be created as desired in your
'Windows\system32\restore' folder. Please be patient as this could take a several minutes.
4. Place the following files into a new folder and Zip them, and email me the zip file.

SR-EVENTLOG.TXT
SR-FILELIST.LOG
SR-REG.TXT
SR-RP.LOG
RS-RSTRLOG.TXT
FIFO.LOG
DRIVETABLE.TXT

How to reinstall System Restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Sammie wrote:
> On July 27, I used System restore to solve a problem. I
> have not asked for another system restore since that
> time. Twice since that time, after rebooting my system
> in the evening, I come to the office in the morning and
> the System Restore confirmation screen is telling me that
> my system was restored successfully back to July 27th.
> Is System Restore executing without my requesting it? If
> so, how can I stop these restores?
> Thanks.
> Sammie

I reinstalled System Restore & it worked! Thanks very much for the help.
Sammie

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Sammie,
>
> Reinstalling System Restore should repair the problem. The down side is all existing
> restore points will be lost.
>
> If you would like to save the restore point and do a little digging:
> Download "Startup program tracker" and run it.
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/index.html
> Click View Log, save it and email it to me at bert@NSmvps.org (remove the NS).
>
> Run the srdiag.exe tool to create a Cab containing the System Restore
> files in text format so I can take a look.
> 1. Click Start, click Run.
> 2. Type or paste the following: "%windir%\system32\restore\srdiag.exe"
> (without the quotation marks) and either press Enter or click OK.
> 3. A CMD window will open while the Srdiag.exe runs. The CMD session will automatically
> close when complete, and the .CAB file will be created as desired in your
> 'Windows\system32\restore' folder. Please be patient as this could take a several minutes.
> 4. Place the following files into a new folder and Zip them, and email me the zip file.
>
> SR-EVENTLOG.TXT
> SR-FILELIST.LOG
> SR-REG.TXT
> SR-RP.LOG
> RS-RSTRLOG.TXT
> FIFO.LOG
> DRIVETABLE.TXT
>
> How to reinstall System Restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> Sammie wrote:
> > On July 27, I used System restore to solve a problem. I
> > have not asked for another system restore since that
> > time. Twice since that time, after rebooting my system
> > in the evening, I come to the office in the morning and
> > the System Restore confirmation screen is telling me that
> > my system was restored successfully back to July 27th.
> > Is System Restore executing without my requesting it? If
> > so, how can I stop these restores?
> > Thanks.
> > Sammie

You're welcome Sammie. And thanks for the feedback.

--

Sammie wrote:
> I reinstalled System Restore & it worked! Thanks very
> much for the help. Sammie
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sammie,
>>
>> Reinstalling System Restore should repair the problem.
>> The down side is all existing restore points will be
>> lost.
>>
>> If you would like to save the restore point and do a
>> little digging:
>> Download "Startup program tracker" and run it.
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/index.html
>> Click View Log, save it and email it to me at
>> bert@NSmvps.org (remove the NS).
>>
>> Run the srdiag.exe tool to create a Cab containing the
>> System Restore
>> files in text format so I can take a look.
>> 1. Click Start, click Run.
>> 2. Type or paste the following:
>> "%windir%\system32\restore\srdiag.exe" (without the
>> quotation marks) and either press Enter or click OK.
>> 3. A CMD window will open while the Srdiag.exe runs. The
>> CMD session will automatically close when complete, and
>> the .CAB file will be created as desired in your
>> 'Windows\system32\restore' folder. Please be patient as
>> this could take a several minutes.
>> 4. Place the following files into a new folder and Zip
>> them, and email me the zip file.
>>
>> SR-EVENTLOG.TXT
>> SR-FILELIST.LOG
>> SR-REG.TXT
>> SR-RP.LOG
>> RS-RSTRLOG.TXT
>> FIFO.LOG
>> DRIVETABLE.TXT
>>
>> How to reinstall System Restore:
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>

>> Sammie wrote:
>>> On July 27, I used System restore to solve a problem. I
>>> have not asked for another system restore since that
>>> time. Twice since that time, after rebooting my system
>>> in the evening, I come to the office in the morning and
>>> the System Restore confirmation screen is telling me
>>> that my system was restored successfully back to July
>>> 27th. Is System Restore executing without my requesting
>>> it? If so, how can I stop these restores?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Sammie