Google Earth and SpyWare?

August 9, 2005 11:11:17 AM

Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger
(AB System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but
then I decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat.
Does anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers
from CounterSpy but so far no success.

More about : google earth spyware

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:28:10 PM

How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?

I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.

"James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o VatywOnFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
> ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger (AB
> System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but then I
> decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat. Does
> anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers from
> CounterSpy but so far no success.
August 9, 2005 2:28:11 PM

R. McCarty wrote:
> How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?
>
> I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
> or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
> version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
> sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
> will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.
>
> "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o VatywOnFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
>>ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger (AB
>>System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but then I
>>decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat. Does
>>anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers from
>>CounterSpy but so far no success.

It's the free version of Google Earth that I'm running. When I deleted
the keylogger, Google Earth would no longer function. I've sent a
message to CounterSpy and been told that it "might" just be a false
positive as you've mentioned. Their technical department should be
contacting me before day's end. Meanwhile, I'm not about to dump the
program nor am I about to log into any financial institution. Thanks for
the replies.
Related resources
August 9, 2005 2:28:11 PM

R. McCarty wrote:
> How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?
>
> I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
> or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
> version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
> sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
> will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.
>
> "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o VatywOnFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
>>ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger (AB
>>System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but then I
>>decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat. Does
>>anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers from
>>CounterSpy but so far no success.

Oh... and as a second thought:

My wife also installed this free version of Google Earth on her
computer... ran the same scan this morning and got the same results: AB
System Keylogger... serious threat. We quarantined it and Google Earth
would no longer work on her computer as well. As soon as we ran a
"Repair" on Google Earth, the keylogger was replaced and the program ran
perfectly. So... what is the real story here?
August 9, 2005 2:28:12 PM

James wrote:
> R. McCarty wrote:
>
>> How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?
>>
>> I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
>> or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
>> version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
>> sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
>> will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.
>>
>> "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o VatywOnFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>
>>> Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This
>>> morning I ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a
>>> commercial keylogger (AB System) placed there by Google Earth. At
>>> first I quarantined it but then I decided to remove it. My
>>> anti-spyware rated it a serious threat. Does anyone have any
>>> information on this? I've tried getting answers from CounterSpy but
>>> so far no success.
>>

> Oh... and as a second thought:
>
> My wife also installed this free version of Google Earth on her
> computer... ran the same scan this morning and got the same results: AB
> System Keylogger... serious threat. We quarantined it and Google Earth
> would no longer work on her computer as well. As soon as we ran a
> "Repair" on Google Earth, the keylogger was replaced and the program ran
> perfectly. So... what is the real story here?

Latest report:
-------------------

Hi James,

We looked into that, and this is a false positive.
We will fix it ASAP!

The CounterSpy Team
August 9, 2005 2:28:13 PM

James wrote:
> James wrote:
>
>> R. McCarty wrote:
>>
>>> How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?
>>>
>>> I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
>>> or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
>>> version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
>>> sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
>>> will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.
>>>
>>> "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o VatywOnFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

>> Oh... and as a second thought:
>>
>> My wife also installed this free version of Google Earth on her
>> computer... ran the same scan this morning and got the same results:
>> AB System Keylogger... serious threat. We quarantined it and Google
>> Earth would no longer work on her computer as well. As soon as we ran
>> a "Repair" on Google Earth, the keylogger was replaced and the program
>> ran perfectly. So... what is the real story here?
>

> Latest report:
> -------------------
>
> Hi James,
>
> We looked into that, and this is a false positive.
> We will fix it ASAP!
>
> The CounterSpy Team
Spyware Scan Details
Start Date: 8/9/2005 9:10:12 AM
End Date: 8/9/2005 9:12:20 AM
Total Time: 2 mins 8 secs

Detected spyware

AB System Spy Commercial Key Logger more information...
Details: It takes screenshots, Stealth Tactics, Logs keystrokes, Sends
mail, Stays Resident, Connects to the internet
Elevated spyware - Elevated threats are usually threats that fall into
the range of adware in which data about a user's habits are tracked and
sent back to a server for analysis without your consent or knowledge.

Infected files detected
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\ijl15.dll

Detected Spyware Cookies
No spyware cookies were found during this scan.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:30:32 PM

James <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote:

|>Detected spyware
|>
|>AB System Spy Commercial Key Logger more information...
|>Details: It takes screenshots, Stealth Tactics, Logs keystrokes, Sends
|>mail, Stays Resident, Connects to the internet
|>Elevated spyware - Elevated threats are usually threats that fall into
|>the range of adware in which data about a user's habits are tracked and
|>sent back to a server for analysis without your consent or knowledge.
|>
|>Infected files detected
|>C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\ijl15.dll

Well that clears google :)

Check the properties of that file:
Intel Corporation
Intel? JPEG Library
--
August 9, 2005 6:18:22 PM

James wrote:
> Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
> ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger
> (AB System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but
> then I decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat.
> Does anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers
> from CounterSpy but so far no success.

I dont think you would have got it from Google Earth, as Google's
philosophy is 'do no evil', and they have become huge because of it. I
use Ad-aware and spybot S&D and they reported nothing when I completed a
recent scan.

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

Did you also check with Microsoft AntiSpyware? This is Microsoft's version
of CounterSpy, which they now own.

"MCR" <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o W2Ke.858$Mf6.529@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
> James wrote:
>> Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
>> ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger
>> (AB System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but
>> then I decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat.
>> Does anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers from
>> CounterSpy but so far no success.
>
> I dont think you would have got it from Google Earth, as Google's
> philosophy is 'do no evil', and they have become huge because of it. I
> use Ad-aware and spybot S&D and they reported nothing when I completed a
> recent scan.
>
> --
> MCR
> MAME(tm) - History In The Making
> Live! Gamertag MCROnline
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:18:34 AM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:59:35 -0700, James <leushinonospam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Latest report:
>-------------------
>
>Hi James,
>
>We looked into that, and this is a false positive.
>We will fix it ASAP!
>
>The CounterSpy Team

It seems a few of these Spyware progs detect more false-positives than
they actually detect real spyware. I'll stick to the free ones like
Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D and keep my HOSTS file up to
date.
August 10, 2005 12:18:35 AM

John Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:59:35 -0700, James <leushinonospam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Latest report:
>>-------------------
>>
>>Hi James,
>>
>>We looked into that, and this is a false positive.
>>We will fix it ASAP!
>>
>>The CounterSpy Team
>

> It seems a few of these Spyware progs detect more false-positives than
> they actually detect real spyware. I'll stick to the free ones like
> Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D and keep my HOSTS file up to
> date.

It had already been identified as a false positive and simply required
that I reset my definitions. I also have the "freebies" but I'd rather
be safe than sorry and so I opt for this highly-rated paid program. I
figure a few dollars spent in this regard is not too much for security
and peace of mind. But hey... if it floats your boat...
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:01:23 AM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:32:58 -0700, James <leushinonospam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>It had already been identified as a false positive and simply required
>that I reset my definitions. I also have the "freebies" but I'd rather
>be safe than sorry and so I opt for this highly-rated paid program. I
>figure a few dollars spent in this regard is not too much for security
>and peace of mind. But hey... if it floats your boat...

I've tried a few of the "pay-for" ones and they have never found a
thing on my PC after using the free ones so I figure they ain't worth
paying for. I've tried "CounterSpy", "SpywareDoctor", and
"SpySweeper". I don't like running memory resident progs either so
wasn't interested in their "on-guard" type modules either.
!