Google Earth and SpyWare?

Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger
(AB System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but
then I decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat.
Does anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers
from CounterSpy but so far no success.
11 answers Last reply
More about google earth spyware

    How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?

    I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
    or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
    version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
    sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
    will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.

    R. McCarty wrote:
    > How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?
    >
    > I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
    > or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
    > version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
    > sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
    > will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.
    >
    > "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
    >>ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger (AB
    >>System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but then I
    >>decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat. Does
    >>anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers from
    >>CounterSpy but so far no success.

    It's the free version of Google Earth that I'm running. When I deleted
    the keylogger, Google Earth would no longer function. I've sent a
    message to CounterSpy and been told that it "might" just be a false
    positive as you've mentioned. Their technical department should be
    contacting me before day's end. Meanwhile, I'm not about to dump the
    program nor am I about to log into any financial institution. Thanks for
    the replies.

    R. McCarty wrote:
    > How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?
    >
    > I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
    > or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
    > version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
    > sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
    > will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.
    >
    > "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
    >>ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger (AB
    >>System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but then I
    >>decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat. Does
    >>anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers from
    >>CounterSpy but so far no success.

    Oh... and as a second thought:

    My wife also installed this free version of Google Earth on her
    computer... ran the same scan this morning and got the same results: AB
    System Keylogger... serious threat. We quarantined it and Google Earth
    would no longer work on her computer as well. As soon as we ran a
    "Repair" on Google Earth, the keylogger was replaced and the program ran
    perfectly. So... what is the real story here?

    James wrote:
    > R. McCarty wrote:
    >
    >> How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?
    >>
    >> I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
    >> or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
    >> version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
    >> sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
    >> will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.
    >>
    >> "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This
    >>> morning I ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a
    >>> commercial keylogger (AB System) placed there by Google Earth. At
    >>> first I quarantined it but then I decided to remove it. My
    >>> anti-spyware rated it a serious threat. Does anyone have any
    >>> information on this? I've tried getting answers from CounterSpy but
    >>> so far no success.
    >>

    > Oh... and as a second thought:
    >
    > My wife also installed this free version of Google Earth on her
    > computer... ran the same scan this morning and got the same results: AB
    > System Keylogger... serious threat. We quarantined it and Google Earth
    > would no longer work on her computer as well. As soon as we ran a
    > "Repair" on Google Earth, the keylogger was replaced and the program ran
    > perfectly. So... what is the real story here?

    Latest report:
    -------------------

    Hi James,

    We looked into that, and this is a false positive.
    We will fix it ASAP!

    The CounterSpy Team

    James wrote:
    > James wrote:
    >
    >> R. McCarty wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do you know that it was Google Earth that installed it ?
    >>>
    >>> I'm using 3.0.0464 and none of my Security tools have found
    >>> or indicated a keylogger is installed. Are you running the Free
    >>> version of Google Earth or one of the paid versions. Are you
    >>> sure the AB System was really on the PC - many of these tools
    >>> will sometimes give you a "False Positive" result.
    >>>
    >>> "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >> Oh... and as a second thought:
    >>
    >> My wife also installed this free version of Google Earth on her
    >> computer... ran the same scan this morning and got the same results:
    >> AB System Keylogger... serious threat. We quarantined it and Google
    >> Earth would no longer work on her computer as well. As soon as we ran
    >> a "Repair" on Google Earth, the keylogger was replaced and the program
    >> ran perfectly. So... what is the real story here?
    >

    > Latest report:
    > -------------------
    >
    > Hi James,
    >
    > We looked into that, and this is a false positive.
    > We will fix it ASAP!
    >
    > The CounterSpy Team
    Spyware Scan Details
    Start Date: 8/9/2005 9:10:12 AM
    End Date: 8/9/2005 9:12:20 AM
    Total Time: 2 mins 8 secs

    Detected spyware

    AB System Spy Commercial Key Logger more information...
    Details: It takes screenshots, Stealth Tactics, Logs keystrokes, Sends
    mail, Stays Resident, Connects to the internet
    Elevated spyware - Elevated threats are usually threats that fall into
    the range of adware in which data about a user's habits are tracked and
    sent back to a server for analysis without your consent or knowledge.

    Infected files detected
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\ijl15.dll

    Detected Spyware Cookies
    No spyware cookies were found during this scan.

    James <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote:

    |>Detected spyware
    |>
    |>AB System Spy Commercial Key Logger more information...
    |>Details: It takes screenshots, Stealth Tactics, Logs keystrokes, Sends
    |>mail, Stays Resident, Connects to the internet
    |>Elevated spyware - Elevated threats are usually threats that fall into
    |>the range of adware in which data about a user's habits are tracked and
    |>sent back to a server for analysis without your consent or knowledge.
    |>
    |>Infected files detected
    |>C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\ijl15.dll

    Well that clears google :)

    Check the properties of that file:
    Intel Corporation
    Intel? JPEG Library

    James wrote:
    > Yesterday I installed Google Earth (beta) on my computer. This morning I
    > ran CounterSpy and low and behold it discovered a commercial keylogger
    > (AB System) placed there by Google Earth. At first I quarantined it but
    > then I decided to remove it. My anti-spyware rated it a serious threat.
    > Does anyone have any information on this? I've tried getting answers
    > from CounterSpy but so far no success.

    I dont think you would have got it from Google Earth, as Google's
    philosophy is 'do no evil', and they have become huge because of it. I
    use Ad-aware and spybot S&D and they reported nothing when I completed a
    recent scan.

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    Did you also check with Microsoft AntiSpyware? This is Microsoft's version
    of CounterSpy, which they now own.

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:59:35 -0700, James <leushinonospam@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Latest report:
    >-------------------
    >
    >Hi James,
    >
    >We looked into that, and this is a false positive.
    >We will fix it ASAP!
    >
    >The CounterSpy Team

    It seems a few of these Spyware progs detect more false-positives than
    they actually detect real spyware. I'll stick to the free ones like
    Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D and keep my HOSTS file up to
    date.

    John Moore wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:59:35 -0700, James <leushinonospam@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Latest report:
    >>-------------------
    >>
    >>Hi James,
    >>
    >>We looked into that, and this is a false positive.
    >>We will fix it ASAP!
    >>
    >>The CounterSpy Team
    >

    > It seems a few of these Spyware progs detect more false-positives than
    > they actually detect real spyware. I'll stick to the free ones like
    > Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D and keep my HOSTS file up to
    > date.

    It had already been identified as a false positive and simply required
    that I reset my definitions. I also have the "freebies" but I'd rather
    be safe than sorry and so I opt for this highly-rated paid program. I
    figure a few dollars spent in this regard is not too much for security
    and peace of mind. But hey... if it floats your boat...

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:32:58 -0700, James <leushinonospam@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >It had already been identified as a false positive and simply required
    >that I reset my definitions. I also have the "freebies" but I'd rather
    >be safe than sorry and so I opt for this highly-rated paid program. I
    >figure a few dollars spent in this regard is not too much for security
    >and peace of mind. But hey... if it floats your boat...

    I've tried a few of the "pay-for" ones and they have never found a
    thing on my PC after using the free ones so I figure they ain't worth
    paying for. I've tried "CounterSpy", "SpywareDoctor", and
    "SpySweeper". I don't like running memory resident progs either so
    wasn't interested in their "on-guard" type modules either.

Google Earth Microsoft Spyware Windows XP