Sign in with
Your question

SSD main drive windows reinstall.

Last response: in Windows 7
October 17, 2012 6:54:22 PM

I am asking this question since this is my first compter with an SSD primary drive. I have a 120gb ssd primary and a 3TB mechanical split into 2 partitions 1 500gb for apps and the rest is storage. I want to reformat my Windows installtion drive. But what i'm curious about is how is this going to effect the apps i have installed on the mechanical drive. Will this cause issues with windows references not running the apps properly.
October 17, 2012 7:03:46 PM

Hi jking82, I don't think you should have a problem doing so. You may have to recreate some paths, as "windows" forgot them but you won't lose much.

I did the same things a few days ago :D 
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 7:05:03 PM

when you install app. there are information that are save in the windows drive. So yes, if you reinstall windows, you will need to reinstall apps too.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 7:05:33 PM

Well, the apps are all run from Windows although the program files are stored on the HDD, so if you re-install Windows presumably you'll have to re-install the apps...
m
l
October 17, 2012 7:34:47 PM

The apps are physically installed on the mechanical drive but there are references to them in program files. i also do know that there are some installed on the c:D rive i know those will need to be reinstalled
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 7:44:06 PM

Probably best to re-install everything to save yourself grief in the long term. I know there are those out there that can tweak Registry entries etc. to avoid installing, but I doubt there's much time saved...
m
l
!