thermal paste and Intel boxed CPU

Loco32665

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
I just got my boxed Intel P4 2.4GhzB CPU. It comes with it's own fan and heat sink. There is a black square on the bottem of the heatsink where it will come in contact with the processor. Is this black square adequate or do I need to buy and apply some sort of thermal conductive paste? If so, how do I do so?

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I have the retail HSF in front of me right now and I see what you mean. I would scrape that black thermal pad off, lap it, and clean it with some rubbing alcohol or acetone. But that's just me. If you don't have the time to do that and want to use it right away, then yeah, I would put a little themal paste and just attach it. It is adequate as long as you don't do some crazy overclocking.

Call me Caine.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That NE guy just want's you to ruin your warranty. The black thermal pad is great, nearly as good as the best paste, and using it will preserve your 3-year factory warranty.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That NE guy just want's you to ruin your warranty. The black thermal pad is great, nearly as good as the best paste, and using it will preserve your 3-year factory warranty.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>