My computer freezes when i plug in a usb port

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

When ever i plug a usb into the usb port my computer freezes and u have to turn it of not shutdown or turn of on screen manually have to turn it off i have a compaq laptop wat should i do?

Solution
First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager...

Slim Shady

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

Solution
G

I would like to say thank you for the solution to the issue, i to had the same problem and the solution worked for me. Many thanks.

neville mainland

Latoyac

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

yes it happen whenever i plug any usb into the port (s)

Does it happen with any USB device in one port or all of them? If it happens in a port at the back of the case of a PC, try the front. If it's a laptop and you have a port either side, try the opposite side.

Also, it's worth mentioning that USB controller can usually only fund its ports with 500 mA of power so if a single controller is running two ports and one of them has a high voltage device plugged in, putting in another will throw the system into a flat spin.

rusty007

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

after creating the notepad file when i tried to merge it it says the error-
"cannot import c:\users:\rusty:\desktop.the specified file is not a registry scipt
you can only import binary registry files from within the regestry editor"
PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS