Sign in with
Your question

Window 7 installation and running compatibility

Last response: in Windows 7
October 17, 2012 7:40:33 PM

I have intel pentium 4 631 cedar mill processor on my desktop, so is it possible that i can run new fresh installation of window 7 64 bit on it and be able to run it?
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 8:01:30 PM

It can run it, but probably not too well. How much RAM do you have (1 GB is the absolute minimum I'd advise, preferably 2 GB+). One thing I'm not sure about is driver support, especially for older video chipsets. If you're not using a dedicated video card the older integrated video chipset on a board of that age likely isn't compatible with Windows 7. You can run such a system but only using the "vanilla" default Windows driver which won't run more than basic video tasks.

If you really want to use it and can't afford a newer PC, it might scrape by; it won't be the best experience available nowadays.
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2012 10:12:52 PM

SchizTech said:
If you really want to use it and can't afford a newer PC, it might scrape by; it won't be the best experience available nowadays.

Best way to put it. Windows 7 (and Vista) placed a larger demand on a much more powerful graphics card and taxed the memory system (2GB is going to be the absolute bare minimum here) much more than XP did. It really depends on what you have on that computer past the P4 CPU but it will feel slow even if the rest of the computer meets minimum specs.
m
l
October 18, 2012 2:28:09 AM

Basically what my intentions are that i have opted for new desktop that can run windows 7, so i was thinking prior it gets assembled, i will use the new HDD for new system in this my old desktop to do clean and fresh windows 7 installation and add needed software just to get it ready so that by the time my new desktop gets assembled i will have the new HDD running just needed to plug in
(only as a time saving effort)

that is why i was interested that if i carry out windows 7 64 bit installation in new HDD using old pc,wud i ll be able to run and install it b4 my new desktop takes place of it??

also,even if it is possible -my other question wud be that, are there chances it could create any complications or un-necessary installation of few hardware drivers that clutter up in my new hdd as it got installed and run in my old pc.

please guide me
thank you
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 2:39:11 AM

I wouldn't bother doing that, as it would be a better bet just to install Windows directly on the new system. There could be a problem with drivers incompatible with the new system being installed when loading the OS with the old system.
m
l
!