Sign in with
Your question

Switching to a new CPU cooler.. any advice?

Last response: in CPUs
March 4, 2003 12:42:29 PM

I have a AMD 2000xp processor. when i got it I just bought it with the standard fan.. well it runs kinda hot, like at 56 degrees celcius.
So I bought <A HREF="http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?pid=5676&si..." target="_new"> Vantec AeroFlow VA4-C7040 </A> and some artic silver 3 thermal compound. Anything I need to watch for when switching the coolers? The standard fan comes with a thermal pad.. will I need to clean off the processor? and if so with what?

Any advice or links to websites with that info would be appreciated.
March 4, 2003 12:58:06 PM

I recently changed fans as well (from a stock fan to a Volcano 7 - It really made a big difference and solved many problems I was having). When switching the fan I very carefully removed the old compound. I bought a new compound kit which came with a thin plastic credit card like tool. After applying a new layer of compound I used the plastic card to evenly spread it on the fan heatsink. I then put the new fan on and everything has been perfect since. (My XP2100+ runs at 46 deg C)
Related resources
March 4, 2003 2:53:39 PM

Yes....you DO have to clean all the Junk/crap/residu off of your Processor before you put the new heatsink on.....

The best things i find to use is a LINT FREE cloth, a coupel Q-Tips and some Rubbing Alcohol.....make sure u get all the gummy thermal pad off of the cpu....than what u do is just apply a tiny drop on the centre of the die of the CPU about ½ the size of a grain of rice.....put the new heatsink on and your done...

ALSO....sicne your going to be using Arctic Silver 3....make sure your NEW Heatsink DOES NOT have a thermal pad on the bottom of it.....if it does....clean it off with a razor blade than rub the rest off with the same lint-free cloth and rubbign alcohol.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
March 4, 2003 3:46:42 PM

Thermal grease should be applied to the CPU, not the heatsink.

If you cover the heatsink, the stuff that's not trapped between the sink and the CPU becomes a dust magnet and may eventually defeat the entire purpose of having a better cooler.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>
March 4, 2003 3:55:42 PM

No Sweat.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>
March 4, 2003 4:04:59 PM

Thank you all very much :)  .. I knew from reading other things that I needed to clean the old residue off but was never sure what to use. I'll check out the links as well.
!