Why is MS Word is trying to connect to 127.0.0.1 ?

I have recently found that when I open MSWord on my PC, it tries to connect
to IP address 127.0.0.1 Port 37926 (I see this by a Zone Alarm warning).

I am using WindowsXP SP2 and connecting to the web via a Speedtouch 546
router.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rob
10 answers Last reply
More about word connect

    rob wrote:
    > I have recently found that when I open MSWord on my PC, it tries to
    > connect to IP address 127.0.0.1 Port 37926 (I see this by a Zone
    > Alarm warning).
    >
    > I am using WindowsXP SP2 and connecting to the web via a Speedtouch
    > 546 router.
    >
    > Any advice would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Rob

    127.0.0.1 This address is your own computer.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    "Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Zone Alarm is a sick joke. Its telling you that your computer is trying to
    > talk to itself, which is an absolutely stupid thing to alert on in this
    way.

    Actually, having your firewall alert on connections to 127.0.0.1 is valuable
    if you are running a local proxy like the Proxomitron. Anything on my
    machine that connects to 127.0.0.1:8080 is actually trying to get to the
    internet through my proxy and that is certainly something I want to know
    about.
    Louis

    "rob" <ccc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently found that when I open MSWord on my PC, it tries to
    connect
    > to IP address 127.0.0.1 Port 37926 (I see this by a Zone Alarm warning).
    >
    > I am using WindowsXP SP2 and connecting to the web via a Speedtouch 546
    > router.
    >
    > Any advice would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Rob

    Well, your return/enter key definitely works as noted by the last of your
    post.

    The only time MS Word attempts what you're saying is when I attempt to edit
    a webpage locally for my own uses.

    The nonstandard port noted may be some other software that redirects to a
    nonstandard port number for internet access (outbound). Check your host
    file.

    "" wrote:
    > I have recently found that when I open MSWord on my PC, it
    > tries to connect
    > to IP address 127.0.0.1 Port 37926 (I see this by a Zone Alarm
    > warning).
    >
    > I am using WindowsXP SP2 and connecting to the web via a
    > Speedtouch 546
    > router.
    >
    > Any advice would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Rob

    Dont need to worry, 127.0.0.1 is your own computer.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-MS-Word-connect-127-ftopict406599.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1348458

    > "rob" <ccc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> I have recently found that when I open MSWord on my PC, it tries to
    > connect
    >> to IP address 127.0.0.1 Port 37926 (I see this by a Zone Alarm warning).
    >>
    >> I am using WindowsXP SP2 and connecting to the web via a Speedtouch 546
    >> router.
    >>
    >> Any advice would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >
    > Well, your return/enter key definitely works as noted by the last of your
    > post.
    >
    > The only time MS Word attempts what you're saying is when I attempt to
    > edit
    > a webpage locally for my own uses.
    >
    > The nonstandard port noted may be some other software that redirects to a
    > nonstandard port number for internet access (outbound). Check your host
    > file.

    Sorry about my return key entries and thanks to all for responding.
    Re "check your host file", please could you explain ...... I am afraid that
    I am not an expert.

    Many thanks - Rob

    You may need to ask this question in the Word newsgroup. I know 127.0.0.1 is
    the "localhost" (your PC), perhaps it's something to do with Word using
    online templates and stuff like that.
    Does Excel do it as well or have you only got Word installed.
    Neil

    "rob" <ccc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >I have recently found that when I open MSWord on my PC, it tries to connect
    > to IP address 127.0.0.1 Port 37926 (I see this by a Zone Alarm warning).
    >
    > I am using WindowsXP SP2 and connecting to the web via a Speedtouch 546
    > router.
    >
    > Any advice would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Rob

    Neil - Yes - I have now done more trials and all MSOffice XP Professional
    software does it on my PC. Two other PCs on my network, with the same
    Office software, do not have the problem. Maybe it is relevant that my PC
    was used to setup the router and also my PC connects (via Bluetooth) to a
    HP1940 handheld with ActiveSync3.8.

    I have now got Zonealarm blocking all "Internet" connections to 127.0.0.1
    Port 37926 and all functionality of my system seems to be OK.

    Would I be right in presuming that since connection is to me, it is not a
    risk to my network?

    Thanks for your help - Rob

    "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
    > You may need to ask this question in the Word newsgroup. I know 127.0.0.1
    > is the "localhost" (your PC), perhaps it's something to do with Word using
    > online templates and stuff like that.
    > Does Excel do it as well or have you only got Word installed.
    > Neil
    >
    > "rob" <ccc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>I have recently found that when I open MSWord on my PC, it tries to
    >>connect
    >> to IP address 127.0.0.1 Port 37926 (I see this by a Zone Alarm warning).
    >>
    >> I am using WindowsXP SP2 and connecting to the web via a Speedtouch 546
    >> router.
    >>
    >> Any advice would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Rob

    If your router connects all others on the network to the internet then
    blocking your PC will only affect your PC, if that's what you mean. Perhaps
    you could find out more about "port 37926" is used for.
    If you try to access online templates or other online features through Word
    does it still connect or is it blocked. Other than that I'm not sure what
    effect it will have.

    Neil

    > Neil - Yes - I have now done more trials and all MSOffice XP Professional
    > software does it on my PC. Two other PCs on my network, with the same
    > Office software, do not have the problem. Maybe it is relevant that my PC
    > was used to setup the router and also my PC connects (via Bluetooth) to a
    > HP1940 handheld with ActiveSync3.8.
    >
    > I have now got Zonealarm blocking all "Internet" connections to 127.0.0.1
    > Port 37926 and all functionality of my system seems to be OK.
    >
    > Would I be right in presuming that since connection is to me, it is not a
    > risk to my network?
    >
    > Thanks for your help - Rob
    >

    > "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
    >> You may need to ask this question in the Word newsgroup. I know 127.0.0.1
    >> is the "localhost" (your PC), perhaps it's something to do with Word
    >> using
    >> online templates and stuff like that.
    >> Does Excel do it as well or have you only got Word installed.
    >> Neil
    >>
    >> "rob" <ccc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have recently found that when I open MSWord on my PC, it tries to
    >>>connect
    >>> to IP address 127.0.0.1 Port 37926 (I see this by a Zone Alarm warning).
    >>>
    >>> I am using WindowsXP SP2 and connecting to the web via a Speedtouch 546
    >>> router.
    >>>
    >>> Any advice would be much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    AFAIK you cannot block 127.0.0.1 or any other loopback addreses via
    firewall.

    --
    - Mark Randall
    http://zetech.swehli.com

    > If your router connects all others on the network to the internet then
    > blocking your PC will only affect your PC, if that's what you mean.
    > Perhaps you could find out more about "port 37926" is used for.
    > If you try to access online templates or other online features through
    > Word does it still connect or is it blocked. Other than that I'm not sure
    > what effect it will have.
    >
    > Neil
    >
    > "rob" <ccc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Neil - Yes - I have now done more trials and all MSOffice XP Professional
    >> software does it on my PC. Two other PCs on my network, with the same
    >> Office software, do not have the problem. Maybe it is relevant that my
    >> PC
    >> was used to setup the router and also my PC connects (via Bluetooth) to a
    >> HP1940 handheld with ActiveSync3.8.
    >>
    >> I have now got Zonealarm blocking all "Internet" connections to 127.0.0.1
    >> Port 37926 and all functionality of my system seems to be OK.
    >>
    >> Would I be right in presuming that since connection is to me, it is not a
    >> risk to my network?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help - Rob
    >>

    >> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
    >>> You may need to ask this question in the Word newsgroup. I know
    >>> 127.0.0.1
    >>> is the "localhost" (your PC), perhaps it's something to do with Word
    >>> using
    >>> online templates and stuff like that.
    >>> Does Excel do it as well or have you only got Word installed.
    >>> Neil
    >>>
    >>> "rob" <ccc@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    Neil - I have three PCs connected to the router and they all connect to the
    internet through that router. They all have ZoneAlarm and MS Office
    Professional. It is only one of the PCs (mine) that demonstrates the
    problem ie. the other two do not stimulate a ZoneAlarm alarm when opening
    Office applications. On my PC only I have set ZoneAlarm to block all
    connections to 127.0.0.1 Port 37962 and this is definitely successful. With
    this ZoneAlarm block in place, I am still able to go to online templates or
    other online features through MSWord.

    I have looked on Google and have found references to a few others having
    the same problem but there is no clear answer.

    Many thanks for your help - if you have any other ideas they would be much
    appreciated - Rob

    "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
    > If your router connects all others on the network to the internet then
    > blocking your PC will only affect your PC, if that's what you mean.
    > Perhaps you could find out more about "port 37926" is used for.
    > If you try to access online templates or other online features through
    > Word does it still connect or is it blocked. Other than that I'm not sure
    > what effect it will have.
    >
    > Neil

Microsoft Word Connection Windows XP