Tags:
  • Security
  • Windows 7
  • Malware
Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 11:22:24 PM

Heya Tom's.

I'm among the may who relies on Malware Bytes to help secure Windows 7.

However, I've never found a decent piece of software to complement it.

So what's a decent free antivirus that's not going to slow my computer down much?

More about : compliment malwarebytes

Best solution

a b 8 Security
a c 421 $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 11:28:15 PM
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 12:00:36 AM

...Huh. Thanks.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 12:22:53 AM

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my laptop and Avira ( free version ) on my desktop. Both are very good but with Avira there is a single pop up advertisement a day asking you to upgrade to the paid version. Microsoft Security Essentials integrates seamlessly into Windows and I forget I am even running an antivirus on my laptop. The only reason I have not changed my desktop is that Avira has been such a solid performer for the last 4 or 5 years. I would really recommend either. Avira is just as low resource as Microsoft Security Essentials and both do quite well in independent testing.
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 12:45:06 AM

Hi :) 

I fix viruses in my shops every day....

The best are...

MSE ...free

Norton Internet Security 2013 ...paid....(about twice as good as MSE)...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 12:47:50 AM

Anort, does Avira have a free version now? I used to have the paid version, but back then I'm fairly certain they didn't have a free version beyond the 30 day trial.

Brett, honestly? Norton?
Unless they've improved their service dramatically within the past year or so...
If they have, I'd be willing to give it a try. If it's the same thing Norton does... yeah.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 12:49:30 AM

Malwarebytes is the best anti-virus software at actually removing a virus if it detects it, Microsoft Security Essentials is the best fuss free anti-virus software and AVG is the best at detecting new viruses. All have their issues though, AVG has a lot of false positives and other problems, Microsoft Security Essentials has very large updates so is only suitable if you have broadband etc.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and the free version of Malwarebytes which is not resident. This combination of the two is the best for me.

I agree with your comments about Norton Darksable, every year they say that they have drastically improved it and every few years I try it out only to find that it is as bad as ever. The only reason that people think that it has improved is because computers have got a lot better and can now run it, but I object to giving one of my cores and one of my gigs of memory to the anti-virus program.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 12:59:26 AM

^ Actually in the AV comparatives independent testing Avira is number 1 among both paid and free solutions in detection rates.

Yes Avira is totally free. I have used it for years.

http://www.avira.com/en/downloads
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:01:56 AM

pjmelect said:
Malwarebytes is the best anti-virus software at actually removing a virus if it detects it, Microsoft Security Essentials is the best fuss free anti-virus software and AVG is the best at detecting new viruses. All have their issues though, AVG has a lot of false positives and other problems, Microsoft Security Essentials has very large updates so is only suitable if you have broadband etc.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and the free version of Malwarebytes which is not resident. This combination of the two is the best for me.

I agree with your comments about Norton Darksable, every year they say that they have drastically improved it and every few years I try it out only to find that it is as bad as ever. The only reason that people think that it has improved is because computers have got a lot better and can now run it, but I object to giving one of my cores and one of my gigs of memory to the anti-virus program.

I agree with that about Norton as well.
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 421 $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:06:34 AM

I'm running Norton right now and it's super light , no longer a resource hog.Only lighter one would be Gdata.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:12:17 AM

Huh. Never even heard of Gdata - I'll have to check it out, along with Avira. I know when I used the latter in the past, I loved it.

still skeptical about Norton, but I'll try it if the other options don't pan out.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:13:07 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I'm running Norton right now and it's super light , no longer a resource hog.Only lighter one would be Gdata.

I agree with that....Norton sorted out that resource problem in 2008....

As I said... I fix viruses EVERY day....hundreds a year....

We get NOBODY coming in with viruses and NORTON... (unless expired)

We get a few in with MSE.....

We get HUNDREDS in with what we call the THREE A`s (AVG, AVIRA, AVAST)

ALL my own personal machines, and ALL my shop machines run Norton 2013....

Score
a b 8 Security
a c 421 $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:14:51 AM

Norton gets 5 stars *****
Score
October 18, 2012 1:14:53 AM

You need HijackThis, CCleaner and ComboFix in your toolbox, too.

edit:

too many CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCs

:lol: 

Score
a b 8 Security
a c 421 $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:15:22 AM

ComboFix < if used carefully
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:18:27 AM

Wisecracker said:
You need HijackThis, CCleaner and ComboFix in your toolbox, too.

edit:

too many CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCs

:lol: 

Lol..we remove ALL of those from infected machines after removing the viruses....plus Uniblue and various other Registry cleaners and spyware....

Score
a b 8 Security
a c 421 $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:21:58 AM

I Love Gdata but Norton is right there with it , in my opinion.
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2012 1:23:56 AM

anort3 said:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondr...

Page 6. 99.5% detection rate from Avira free vs a 95.1% detection rate from a $70 copy of Norton.

Newer study.

http://techie-buzz.com/tech-news/antivirus-shootout-201...

That test was over a year ago..... and that's a VERY long time in virus fixing.....

And they TEST products...NOT fix them...

I don't know if you have ever fixed a virus, but I don't just bung in a copy of Norton and expect it to fix it for me lol... we don't install Norton until AFTER the viruses are removed and are about to give the machine back to the customer...

Nobody has to believe me, I make a LOT of money from people who use the three A`s....

Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2012 12:24:34 AM

Best answer selected by DarkSable.
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 421 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2012 12:47:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!