Best compliment to Malwarebytes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya Tom's.

I'm among the may who relies on Malware Bytes to help secure Windows 7.

However, I've never found a decent piece of software to complement it.

So what's a decent free antivirus that's not going to slow my computer down much?

D

Deleted member 217926

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my laptop and Avira ( free version ) on my desktop. Both are very good but with Avira there is a single pop up advertisement a day asking you to upgrade to the paid version. Microsoft Security Essentials integrates seamlessly into Windows and I forget I am even running an antivirus on my laptop. The only reason I have not changed my desktop is that Avira has been such a solid performer for the last 4 or 5 years. I would really recommend either. Avira is just as low resource as Microsoft Security Essentials and both do quite well in independent testing.

Anort, does Avira have a free version now? I used to have the paid version, but back then I'm fairly certain they didn't have a free version beyond the 30 day trial.

Brett, honestly? Norton?
Unless they've improved their service dramatically within the past year or so...
If they have, I'd be willing to give it a try. If it's the same thing Norton does... yeah.

Malwarebytes is the best anti-virus software at actually removing a virus if it detects it, Microsoft Security Essentials is the best fuss free anti-virus software and AVG is the best at detecting new viruses. All have their issues though, AVG has a lot of false positives and other problems, Microsoft Security Essentials has very large updates so is only suitable if you have broadband etc.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and the free version of Malwarebytes which is not resident. This combination of the two is the best for me.

I agree with your comments about Norton Darksable, every year they say that they have drastically improved it and every few years I try it out only to find that it is as bad as ever. The only reason that people think that it has improved is because computers have got a lot better and can now run it, but I object to giving one of my cores and one of my gigs of memory to the anti-virus program.

D

Deleted member 217926

I agree with that about Norton as well.

Hi :)

I agree with that....Norton sorted out that resource problem in 2008....

As I said... I fix viruses EVERY day....hundreds a year....

We get NOBODY coming in with viruses and NORTON... (unless expired)

We get a few in with MSE.....

We get HUNDREDS in with what we call the THREE A`s (AVG, AVIRA, AVAST)

ALL my own personal machines, and ALL my shop machines run Norton 2013....

All the best Brett :)

Lol..we remove ALL of those from infected machines after removing the viruses....plus Uniblue and various other Registry cleaners and spyware....

That test was over a year ago..... and that's a VERY long time in virus fixing.....

And they TEST products...NOT fix them...

I don't know if you have ever fixed a virus, but I don't just bung in a copy of Norton and expect it to fix it for me lol... we don't install Norton until AFTER the viruses are removed and are about to give the machine back to the customer...

Nobody has to believe me, I make a LOT of money from people who use the three A`s....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS