PhotoGallery

A couple of months ago, I tried to clean up some shortcuts on my desktop
that I never use. Ever since, when rebooting, I get dialog boxes about
Windows XP trying to configure PhotoGallery, a program I don't even know or
use.

I have to cancel out of three such dialog boxes and then,a 4th, as I recall,
when it wants me to install a CD. I've tried all my XP CDs but it doesn't
seem to find what it wants.

Can anyone help me get rid of this annoying message upon booting up?

Thank you very much.
Dean
6 answers Last reply
More about photogallery

    Dean wrote:
    > A couple of months ago, I tried to clean up some shortcuts on my desktop
    > that I never use. Ever since, when rebooting, I get dialog boxes about
    > Windows XP trying to configure PhotoGallery, a program I don't even know or
    > use.
    >
    > I have to cancel out of three such dialog boxes and then,a 4th, as I recall,
    > when it wants me to install a CD. I've tried all my XP CDs but it doesn't
    > seem to find what it wants.
    >
    > Can anyone help me get rid of this annoying message upon booting up?
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    > Dean

    Does this happen when you start your PC or when you try to open a
    photo?

    if it happens when starting up the PC go to Start->Run type in
    MSCONFIG. select the startup tab then find the PhotoGallery software
    and deselect it.

    If it is when you open a file you will need to change the file types
    for jpeg. Opne My documents. Tools-> folder Options-> File types tab
    and look for jpeg and change it to Windows picture and fax viewer

    It is the former, i.e., just when I start my computer. I do not see
    PhotoGallery, or anything like it, on that startup tab. I do notice that
    one of the line items checked (they are all checked actually) has no name
    and command listed. Would that likely be it? I assume, since I see no
    name, it might be risky to uncheck it, since I wouldn't know what I
    unchecked!

    Also, otherwise, though your solution seems simple, am I simply avoiding a
    program that I probably inadvertently uninstalled, rather than fixing it? I
    do not use this program, but maybe someday I would. Do you know if it is
    a useful program that came with my Dell XP computer and, if so, how to
    reinstall it? Or is it possible it is related to a screensaver program I
    might have downloaded a long time ago?

    Thank you very much!
    Dean

    Dean wrote:

    > It is the former, i.e., just when I start my computer. I do not see
    > PhotoGallery, or anything like it, on that startup tab. I do notice
    > that one of the line items checked (they are all checked actually) has
    > no name
    > and command listed. Would that likely be it? I assume, since I see
    > no name, it might be risky to uncheck it, since I wouldn't know what I
    > unchecked!
    >
    > Also, otherwise, though your solution seems simple, am I simply
    > avoiding a
    > program that I probably inadvertently uninstalled, rather than fixing
    > it? I
    > do not use this program, but maybe someday I would. Do you know if
    > it is a useful program that came with my Dell XP computer and, if so,
    > how to
    > reinstall it? Or is it possible it is related to a screensaver
    > program I might have downloaded a long time ago?
    >
    > Thank you very much!
    > Dean
    >
    > <IDLE19@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Dean wrote:
    >>> A couple of months ago, I tried to clean up some shortcuts on my
    >>> desktop
    >>> that I never use. Ever since, when rebooting, I get dialog boxes
    >>> about Windows XP trying to configure PhotoGallery, a program I don't
    >>> even know or
    >>> use.
    >>>
    >>> I have to cancel out of three such dialog boxes and then,a 4th, as I
    >>> recall,
    >>> when it wants me to install a CD. I've tried all my XP CDs but it
    >>> doesn't
    >>> seem to find what it wants.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help me get rid of this annoying message upon booting up?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much.
    >>> Dean
    >>
    >> Does this happen when you start your PC or when you try to open a
    >> photo?
    >>
    >> if it happens when starting up the PC go to Start->Run type in
    >> MSCONFIG. select the startup tab then find the PhotoGallery software
    >> and deselect it.
    >>
    >> If it is when you open a file you will need to change the file types
    >> for jpeg. Opne My documents. Tools-> folder Options-> File types tab
    >> and look for jpeg and change it to Windows picture and fax viewer

    Do you have an HP printer? This software may have come with it.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Indeed, it apparently came with their 7210 all in one. They did not suggest
    I did anything to uninstall it, though I know it started after I started
    deleting icons on my desktop. I contacted HP online support and they had
    me uncheck everything associated with HP in it and that seems to have solved
    it. I don't know what the downside of mass-unchecking about six things
    could be - do you?

    I have another HP LaserJet too.

    Thanks!
    Dean

    Dean wrote:

    > Indeed, it apparently came with their 7210 all in one. They did not
    > suggest I did anything to uninstall it, though I know it started after
    > I started
    > deleting icons on my desktop. I contacted HP online support and
    > they had me uncheck everything associated with HP in it and that seems
    > to have solved
    > it. I don't know what the downside of mass-unchecking about six
    > things could be - do you?
    >
    > I have another HP LaserJet too.

    >> Do you have an HP printer? This software may have come with it.
    >>
    >> Malke

    I don't think there will be a downside to disabling all the HP cr*p at
    startup. I think your computer will start up quicker and run better. If
    you find something doesn't work with one of the printers, you can
    always enable it. The Photo Gallery software came with the all-in-one,
    so it definitely shouldn't impact the LaserJet. I like HP's printers,
    but their software is really poorly written and causes a lot of
    problems.

    I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting back with the solution.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Well, I still had a problem when I actually went to play a short movie. But
    now that I knew to insert the 7210 disk (the insert PhotoGallery CD dialog
    box tells you nothing about what program PhotoGallery is associated with), I
    think it found what it needed, despite the fact that it, seconds later, then
    asked me if I wanted to uninstall or install new hardware, forcing me to
    exit - this jibes with your comment about their software! But I think it
    still found what it needed on the disk, as the box doesn't seem to be
    popping up now. Also, thanks for allaying my fears.

    > Dean wrote:
    >
    >> Indeed, it apparently came with their 7210 all in one. They did not
    >> suggest I did anything to uninstall it, though I know it started after
    >> I started
    >> deleting icons on my desktop. I contacted HP online support and
    >> they had me uncheck everything associated with HP in it and that seems
    >> to have solved
    >> it. I don't know what the downside of mass-unchecking about six
    >> things could be - do you?
    >>
    >> I have another HP LaserJet too.
    >

    >>> Do you have an HP printer? This software may have come with it.
    >>>
    >>> Malke
    >
    > I don't think there will be a downside to disabling all the HP cr*p at
    > startup. I think your computer will start up quicker and run better. If
    > you find something doesn't work with one of the printers, you can
    > always enable it. The Photo Gallery software came with the all-in-one,
    > so it definitely shouldn't impact the LaserJet. I like HP's printers,
    > but their software is really poorly written and causes a lot of
    > problems.
    >
    > I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting back with the solution.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com