Multiple operating systems

I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows 98 and Windows XP
installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C and D) How do I get
the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive (so I could just
re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't just uninstall it.
It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it that way in set
up.)
I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do it? Please help??!!!

I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
tell you what is happening.

The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
use.

What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP

"iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
:I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
98 and Windows XP
: installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
and D) How do I get
: the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
(so I could just
: re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
just uninstall it.
: It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
that way in set
: up.)
: I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
it? Please help??!!!

C:\ntldr
C:\boot.ini
C:\ntdetect.com
These are hidden files.
Edit the boot.ini file to remove the reference to Win98.
Then delete all files except data files and the three XP boot files.
--
Ron Sommer

In news:5A5A53BD-430F-4808-B8CA-A7E67664C0CB@microsoft.com,
iddle1 <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows 98
> and
> Windows XP installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into
> drive C
> and D) How do I get the windows 98 off? It won't let me
> reformat
> either drive (so I could just re-install.) XP is not listed in
> the
> progams, so I can't just uninstall it. It won't even boot from
> the CD
> drive (Although I've set it that way in set up.)
> I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do it?
> Please
> help??!!!

If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
would be to reformat the entire drive and reinstall the operating
system cleanly. You have no idea how the computer has been
maintained, what has been installed incorrectly, what is missing,
what viruses and spyware there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to
live with somebody else's mistakes and problems, possibility of
kiddie porn, etc., and I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do
either.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Uh, yeah Ken. (That's kind of a given.)

And all of that would be great, except it won't allow me to format the hard
drive. (I've tried, beleive me!) The stupid thing won't boot from CD, and it
won't allow me to format either partition. It won't let me start up the CD
and then delete the drives I want to write over either. It's a conspiracy
I'm telling you, a conspiracy!!

Kiddie porn, huh? Wow.
Suppose this means I shouldn't call you "Daddy"?
Damn.

Still, thanks for your input.
"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:5A5A53BD-430F-4808-B8CA-A7E67664C0CB@microsoft.com,
> iddle1 <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows 98
> > and
> > Windows XP installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into
> > drive C
> > and D) How do I get the windows 98 off? It won't let me
> > reformat
> > either drive (so I could just re-install.) XP is not listed in
> > the
> > progams, so I can't just uninstall it. It won't even boot from
> > the CD
> > drive (Although I've set it that way in set up.)
> > I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do it?
> > Please
> > help??!!!
>

> If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
> would be to reformat the entire drive and reinstall the operating
> system cleanly. You have no idea how the computer has been
> maintained, what has been installed incorrectly, what is missing,
> what viruses and spyware there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to
> live with somebody else's mistakes and problems, possibility of
> kiddie porn, etc., and I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do
> either.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
> tell you what is happening.
>
> The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
> is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
> automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
> installed it created the boot loader file (C:boot.ini)
> amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
> computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
> they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
> the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
> use.
>
> What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
> will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
> installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
> the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
>

> "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
> 98 and Windows XP
> : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
> and D) How do I get
> : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
> (so I could just
> : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
> just uninstall it.
> : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
> that way in set
> : up.)
> : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
> it? Please help??!!!

nope, it’s easy, reinstall XP, but when partionaing the drives,
delete them oth and make a new one, this way tehre is only one partion
and one operating system, of course you will lose all data on the
drive when you do this.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Multiple-operating-systems-ftopict406616.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1348550

Thanks for the reply, Mike. Still, I need more.
I've got no problem with losing the data, a full re-format would be
wonderful, BUT, like I said, the system will not allow me to format either
partition, or even C drive.
I assume it's because it's the primary and boot partitions, and it can't
format the drive it's operating on. Right? (Remember this is a laptop, with
just the one internal drive.) WAIT THERE"S MORE.
I even went to AOL downlaod to see if I could downloead a program that would
simply wipe out the disk and let me start new, but they were all demos and
wouldn't actually do anything (Unless I bought them.)
I need to know the EXACT fdisk commands to type that will erase everything
-- the data, partitions, and the memory of this whole frustrating event.
Do you know them? ANYONE??

"Mike Mueller" wrote:

> I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
> tell you what is happening.
>
> The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
> is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
> automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
> installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
> amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
> computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
> they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
> the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
> use.
>
> What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
> will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
> installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
> the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
>

> "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
> 98 and Windows XP
> : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
> and D) How do I get
> : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
> (so I could just
> : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
> just uninstall it.
> : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
> that way in set
> : up.)
> : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
> it? Please help??!!!

Do you have a Fdisk on a floppy?

--
Peter

"iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3B6CB1D-E452-4055-9F57-04E719E99ECA@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the reply, Mike. Still, I need more.
> I've got no problem with losing the data, a full re-format would be
> wonderful, BUT, like I said, the system will not allow me to format either
> partition, or even C drive.
> I assume it's because it's the primary and boot partitions, and it can't
> format the drive it's operating on. Right? (Remember this is a laptop, with
> just the one internal drive.) WAIT THERE"S MORE.
> I even went to AOL downlaod to see if I could downloead a program that would
> simply wipe out the disk and let me start new, but they were all demos and
> wouldn't actually do anything (Unless I bought them.)
> I need to know the EXACT fdisk commands to type that will erase everything
> -- the data, partitions, and the memory of this whole frustrating event.
> Do you know them? ANYONE??
>
> "Mike Mueller" wrote:
>
>> I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
>> tell you what is happening.
>>
>> The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
>> is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
>> automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
>> installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
>> amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
>> computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
>> they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
>> the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
>> use.
>>
>> What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
>> will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
>> installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
>> the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
>>

>> "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
>> 98 and Windows XP
>> : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
>> and D) How do I get
>> : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
>> (so I could just
>> : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
>> just uninstall it.
>> : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
>> that way in set
>> : up.)
>> : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
>> it? Please help??!!!

You have to boot to a CD or the floppy drive.
Do you have a bootable floppy or CD?
--
Ron Sommer

"iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply, Mike. Still, I need more.
> I've got no problem with losing the data, a full re-format would be
> wonderful, BUT, like I said, the system will not allow me to format either
> partition, or even C drive.
> I assume it's because it's the primary and boot partitions, and it can't
> format the drive it's operating on. Right? (Remember this is a laptop,
> with
> just the one internal drive.) WAIT THERE"S MORE.
> I even went to AOL downlaod to see if I could downloead a program that
> would
> simply wipe out the disk and let me start new, but they were all demos and
> wouldn't actually do anything (Unless I bought them.)
> I need to know the EXACT fdisk commands to type that will erase everything
> -- the data, partitions, and the memory of this whole frustrating event.
> Do you know them? ANYONE??
>
> "Mike Mueller" wrote:
>
>> I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
>> tell you what is happening.
>>
>> The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
>> is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
>> automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
>> installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
>> amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
>> computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
>> they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
>> the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
>> use.
>>
>> What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
>> will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
>> installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
>> the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
>>

>> "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
>> 98 and Windows XP
>> : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
>> and D) How do I get
>> : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
>> (so I could just
>> : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
>> just uninstall it.
>> : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
>> that way in set
>> : up.)
>> : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
>> it? Please help??!!!

No. But I gather from you asking that I should get it.(?) So, where can I get
fdisk to put on a floppy?

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Do you have a Fdisk on a floppy?
>
> --
> Peter

> "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3B6CB1D-E452-4055-9F57-04E719E99ECA@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the reply, Mike. Still, I need more.
> > I've got no problem with losing the data, a full re-format would be
> > wonderful, BUT, like I said, the system will not allow me to format either
> > partition, or even C drive.
> > I assume it's because it's the primary and boot partitions, and it can't
> > format the drive it's operating on. Right? (Remember this is a laptop, with
> > just the one internal drive.) WAIT THERE"S MORE.
> > I even went to AOL downlaod to see if I could downloead a program that would
> > simply wipe out the disk and let me start new, but they were all demos and
> > wouldn't actually do anything (Unless I bought them.)
> > I need to know the EXACT fdisk commands to type that will erase everything
> > -- the data, partitions, and the memory of this whole frustrating event.
> > Do you know them? ANYONE??
> >
> > "Mike Mueller" wrote:
> >
> >> I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
> >> tell you what is happening.
> >>
> >> The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
> >> is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
> >> automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
> >> installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
> >> amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
> >> computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
> >> they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
> >> the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
> >> use.
> >>
> >> What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
> >> will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
> >> installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
> >> the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
> >>

> >> "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
> >> 98 and Windows XP
> >> : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
> >> and D) How do I get
> >> : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
> >> (so I could just
> >> : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
> >> just uninstall it.
> >> : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
> >> that way in set
> >> : up.)
> >> : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
> >> it? Please help??!!!

I have tried to boot from the CD!! AT first it wouldn't let me, but now it
will. But even booting from the XP installation disk , when it get to the
part where it normally wouldshow all the drives and partitions and ask if I
want to delete them, write over, or add to them, it only list the D
partition. AHHHH!!! I can't beleive it!!! It won't even show me the C drive
as a whole, or even the C partition. WHich means if I continue the install it
will only wrtie ove the D partition. (Because, of course, it also refuses to
just delete it because it has "XP setup files written on it". I did mention
my conspiracy theory, didn't I? I'm thinking fdisk must be the way to go,
somehow. I'll try it and get back with you guys. Thnks for all the help, but
don't leave yet!! Wait and see if it works first. I'll get back with all of

TRENDING THREADS