Multiple operating systems

I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows 98 and Windows XP
installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C and D) How do I get
the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive (so I could just
re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't just uninstall it.
It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it that way in set
up.)
I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do it? Please help??!!!
10 answers Last reply
More about multiple operating systems

    I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
    tell you what is happening.

    The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
    is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
    automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
    installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
    amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
    computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
    they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
    the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
    use.

    What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
    will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
    installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
    the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP

    "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
    98 and Windows XP
    : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
    and D) How do I get
    : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
    (so I could just
    : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
    just uninstall it.
    : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
    that way in set
    : up.)
    : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
    it? Please help??!!!

    C:\ntldr
    C:\boot.ini
    C:\ntdetect.com
    These are hidden files.
    Edit the boot.ini file to remove the reference to Win98.
    Then delete all files except data files and the three XP boot files.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    In news:5A5A53BD-430F-4808-B8CA-A7E67664C0CB@microsoft.com,
    iddle1 <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows 98
    > and
    > Windows XP installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into
    > drive C
    > and D) How do I get the windows 98 off? It won't let me
    > reformat
    > either drive (so I could just re-install.) XP is not listed in
    > the
    > progams, so I can't just uninstall it. It won't even boot from
    > the CD
    > drive (Although I've set it that way in set up.)
    > I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do it?
    > Please
    > help??!!!

    If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
    would be to reformat the entire drive and reinstall the operating
    system cleanly. You have no idea how the computer has been
    maintained, what has been installed incorrectly, what is missing,
    what viruses and spyware there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to
    live with somebody else's mistakes and problems, possibility of
    kiddie porn, etc., and I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do
    either.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Uh, yeah Ken. (That's kind of a given.)

    And all of that would be great, except it won't allow me to format the hard
    drive. (I've tried, beleive me!) The stupid thing won't boot from CD, and it
    won't allow me to format either partition. It won't let me start up the CD
    and then delete the drives I want to write over either. It's a conspiracy
    I'm telling you, a conspiracy!!

    Kiddie porn, huh? Wow.
    Suppose this means I shouldn't call you "Daddy"?
    Damn.

    Still, thanks for your input.

    "" wrote:
    > I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
    > tell you what is happening.
    >
    > The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
    > is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
    > automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
    > installed it created the boot loader file (C:boot.ini)
    > amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
    > computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
    > they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
    > the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
    > use.
    >
    > What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
    > will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
    > installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
    > the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
    >

    > "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
    > 98 and Windows XP
    > : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
    > and D) How do I get
    > : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
    > (so I could just
    > : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
    > just uninstall it.
    > : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
    > that way in set
    > : up.)
    > : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
    > it? Please help??!!!

    nope, it’s easy, reinstall XP, but when partionaing the drives,
    delete them oth and make a new one, this way tehre is only one partion
    and one operating system, of course you will lose all data on the
    drive when you do this.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Multiple-operating-systems-ftopict406616.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1348550

    Thanks for the reply, Mike. Still, I need more.
    I've got no problem with losing the data, a full re-format would be
    wonderful, BUT, like I said, the system will not allow me to format either
    partition, or even C drive.
    I assume it's because it's the primary and boot partitions, and it can't
    format the drive it's operating on. Right? (Remember this is a laptop, with
    just the one internal drive.) WAIT THERE"S MORE.
    I even went to AOL downlaod to see if I could downloead a program that would
    simply wipe out the disk and let me start new, but they were all demos and
    wouldn't actually do anything (Unless I bought them.)
    I need to know the EXACT fdisk commands to type that will erase everything
    -- the data, partitions, and the memory of this whole frustrating event.
    Do you know them? ANYONE??

    "Mike Mueller" wrote:

    > I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
    > tell you what is happening.
    >
    > The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
    > is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
    > automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
    > installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
    > amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
    > computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
    > they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
    > the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
    > use.
    >
    > What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
    > will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
    > installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
    > the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
    >

    > "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
    > 98 and Windows XP
    > : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
    > and D) How do I get
    > : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
    > (so I could just
    > : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
    > just uninstall it.
    > : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
    > that way in set
    > : up.)
    > : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
    > it? Please help??!!!

    Do you have a Fdisk on a floppy?

    --
    Peter

    "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3B6CB1D-E452-4055-9F57-04E719E99ECA@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for the reply, Mike. Still, I need more.
    > I've got no problem with losing the data, a full re-format would be
    > wonderful, BUT, like I said, the system will not allow me to format either
    > partition, or even C drive.
    > I assume it's because it's the primary and boot partitions, and it can't
    > format the drive it's operating on. Right? (Remember this is a laptop, with
    > just the one internal drive.) WAIT THERE"S MORE.
    > I even went to AOL downlaod to see if I could downloead a program that would
    > simply wipe out the disk and let me start new, but they were all demos and
    > wouldn't actually do anything (Unless I bought them.)
    > I need to know the EXACT fdisk commands to type that will erase everything
    > -- the data, partitions, and the memory of this whole frustrating event.
    > Do you know them? ANYONE??
    >
    > "Mike Mueller" wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
    >> tell you what is happening.
    >>
    >> The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
    >> is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
    >> automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
    >> installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
    >> amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
    >> computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
    >> they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
    >> the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
    >> use.
    >>
    >> What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
    >> will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
    >> installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
    >> the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
    >>

    >> "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
    >> 98 and Windows XP
    >> : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
    >> and D) How do I get
    >> : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
    >> (so I could just
    >> : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
    >> just uninstall it.
    >> : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
    >> that way in set
    >> : up.)
    >> : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
    >> it? Please help??!!!

    You have to boot to a CD or the floppy drive.
    Do you have a bootable floppy or CD?
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply, Mike. Still, I need more.
    > I've got no problem with losing the data, a full re-format would be
    > wonderful, BUT, like I said, the system will not allow me to format either
    > partition, or even C drive.
    > I assume it's because it's the primary and boot partitions, and it can't
    > format the drive it's operating on. Right? (Remember this is a laptop,
    > with
    > just the one internal drive.) WAIT THERE"S MORE.
    > I even went to AOL downlaod to see if I could downloead a program that
    > would
    > simply wipe out the disk and let me start new, but they were all demos and
    > wouldn't actually do anything (Unless I bought them.)
    > I need to know the EXACT fdisk commands to type that will erase everything
    > -- the data, partitions, and the memory of this whole frustrating event.
    > Do you know them? ANYONE??
    >
    > "Mike Mueller" wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
    >> tell you what is happening.
    >>
    >> The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
    >> is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
    >> automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
    >> installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
    >> amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
    >> computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
    >> they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
    >> the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
    >> use.
    >>
    >> What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
    >> will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
    >> installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
    >> the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
    >>

    >> "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
    >> 98 and Windows XP
    >> : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
    >> and D) How do I get
    >> : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
    >> (so I could just
    >> : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
    >> just uninstall it.
    >> : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
    >> that way in set
    >> : up.)
    >> : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
    >> it? Please help??!!!

    No. But I gather from you asking that I should get it.(?) So, where can I get
    fdisk to put on a floppy?

    "Peter Foldes" wrote:

    > Do you have a Fdisk on a floppy?
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3B6CB1D-E452-4055-9F57-04E719E99ECA@microsoft.com...
    > > Thanks for the reply, Mike. Still, I need more.
    > > I've got no problem with losing the data, a full re-format would be
    > > wonderful, BUT, like I said, the system will not allow me to format either
    > > partition, or even C drive.
    > > I assume it's because it's the primary and boot partitions, and it can't
    > > format the drive it's operating on. Right? (Remember this is a laptop, with
    > > just the one internal drive.) WAIT THERE"S MORE.
    > > I even went to AOL downlaod to see if I could downloead a program that would
    > > simply wipe out the disk and let me start new, but they were all demos and
    > > wouldn't actually do anything (Unless I bought them.)
    > > I need to know the EXACT fdisk commands to type that will erase everything
    > > -- the data, partitions, and the memory of this whole frustrating event.
    > > Do you know them? ANYONE??
    > >
    > > "Mike Mueller" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I cannot answer the question on how to fix it, but I can
    > >> tell you what is happening.
    > >>
    > >> The primary partition is where Win 98 is installed, and XP
    > >> is on the other partition. When the computer starts, it
    > >> automatically boots to the primary partition. When XP was
    > >> installed it created the boot loader file (C:\boot.ini)
    > >> amongth other files on the primary partition to let the
    > >> computer know the OSs installed on the computer and where
    > >> they are on the hard drive. These files are what brings up
    > >> the menu in the beginning asking you which OS you want to
    > >> use.
    > >>
    > >> What you want can be done, but it will not be easy, as there
    > >> will be a lot of reconfiguration needed for both XP and the
    > >> installed programs. The best thing to do would be to back up
    > >> the data and fdisk/format/reinstall XP
    > >>

    > >> "iddle1" <iddle1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> :I was given a Compaq Presario Laptop that has both Windows
    > >> 98 and Windows XP
    > >> : installed on the one hard drive (Partitioned into drive C
    > >> and D) How do I get
    > >> : the windows 98 off? It won't let me reformat either drive
    > >> (so I could just
    > >> : re-install.) XP is not listed in the progams, so I can't
    > >> just uninstall it.
    > >> : It won't even boot from the CD drive (Although I've set it
    > >> that way in set
    > >> : up.)
    > >> : I want just XP and would like it all redone. How do I do
    > >> it? Please help??!!!

    I have tried to boot from the CD!! AT first it wouldn't let me, but now it
    will. But even booting from the XP installation disk , when it get to the
    part where it normally wouldshow all the drives and partitions and ask if I
    want to delete them, write over, or add to them, it only list the D
    partition. AHHHH!!! I can't beleive it!!! It won't even show me the C drive
    as a whole, or even the C partition. WHich means if I continue the install it
    will only wrtie ove the D partition. (Because, of course, it also refuses to
    just delete it because it has "XP setup files written on it". I did mention
    my conspiracy theory, didn't I? I'm thinking fdisk must be the way to go,
    somehow. I'll try it and get back with you guys. Thnks for all the help, but
    don't leave yet!! Wait and see if it works first. I'll get back with all of

Windows 98 Windows XP